PDA

View Full Version : Interested glider pilot

Charlie charlie x-ray
11th Oct 2001, 01:34
Please help me i am a young pilot (gliding). i soloed on my 16th b'day and am now trying to get intpo either power flying or getting really into gliding. I was just wandering if i get into power flying how much will it cost me and where can i do it. P.S. i live in north lincolnshire :eek: :eek: :eek:

skysoarer
11th Oct 2001, 02:27
Not certain about power clubs other than there are alot of them and people seem to rave on about BA's club at Wycombe.

However, even through my number of hours in power aircraft is less than 5 I can (fairly) safely say that I personally find gliding much much more fun and satisfying. Especially at our club as the 1000ft winch launch means you have to work With the weather to stay up. If you're interested take a look at http://www.gliding.co.uk to find clubs to visit other than where you soloed.

If you want to learn practically how the weather works and be almost required to understand it and how aircraft really fly (i.e. without a whirly thing) then give gliding some more time. However if you're looking towards a power career then perhaps some power learning is called for ... but ... Gliding is also CHEAPER! ;)

Hope this helps, regards;

Skysoarer

[ 10 October 2001: Message edited by: Skysoarer ]

Grandad Flyer
11th Oct 2001, 14:04
I would have thought you should be able to get a cadetship with a gliding club somewhere - ask around. If no formal scheme, ask if you can go up and help and hang around lots, and in time people will get to know you and offer you free flights in their gliders. You might be able to do some part time work in the office or the workshop in return for some membership or something. Most clubs will offer you something if you are helpful.
I sort of fell into gliding that way, and started as a gliding club bum and now seem to have gone full circle, except I now have fly airliners, which is good in that it pays for the gliding but bad in that the best days of the year are always the days I am working!! Many, many airline pilots go gliding in their spare time, you'd be surprised. Its totally different to power flying, its a sport and every flight is different. Its also a challenge. You will learn a lot of skills that will help should you want to go on and get a PPL, or even a CPL. Do the gliding first. The more experienced you get the cheaper it gets.
You could then do your PPL and maybe go tugging at a club, which also gives you a chance to get some gliding in....
Get the info on your local clubs through the BGA website or call them on 01162 531051.

RVR800
11th Oct 2001, 14:15
CC X-Ray

The RAF Scholarship scheme?

Try Solflight at Humberside for a trial
flight 01652 688833 Ask for Melanie
www.soloflight.com (http://www.soloflight.com)