PDA

View Full Version : New Cargo driver on the block!

freightdriver
22nd Dec 2002, 13:10
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow freight drivers, finally after 3 years out of the cockpit, now I am back in the cockpit of a 737. Flying a ups feeder contract in South East Asia.

Any info how I can prepare myself to secure a job in a better and bigger equipment will be much appreciated.

Seasons greetings!:cool:

Freightdriver!

vmommo
22nd Dec 2002, 19:51
Are there any more jobs over there? Any info on requirements and how to apply would be greatly appreciated! I would love to get back into the freight business!

freightdriver
23rd Dec 2002, 14:09
It's a bit harder in Indonesia, just started to pick up since the economic crises back in 1998.

There are a few expats flying the MD82s and 727s, but I think the labour rules only allows max of 6 months for expats and the company must have locals to replace them. I am a dual National so in that sense I am lucky, (except I had to sit on the bench for nearly 4 years actualy)

But I think some of the expats have gotten their work visa renewed. Since there is a big shortage for type rated pilots (737-200/400s, 727-200, MD-82s). Especially for Captain with Sim Instructor's or Flight Instructor's ratings.

Pay is low, but it's a great and wild place to live. Low cost and high standard of living on a pilot's salary. If you can ignore the current media hype over the terrorists (it's a present threat but it's a small percentage of the gen population)

Hope that helps!

Season's greetings!

:D :D :D

vmommo
28th Dec 2002, 21:01
Where can I find specific info on company names, equipment types and routes that they fly? Do the expats go thru contract companies or are they direct hire?

Also, are FAA ratings welcome?

Thanks in advance!

I Don't Work Here
30th Dec 2002, 08:23
hey vmommo:

try the JP Fleets book... found in most aviation shops... it will tell you all you need to know i'm quite sure.

vmommo
30th Dec 2002, 14:58
Thanks for the info!