PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Visits

min
22nd Dec 2002, 10:29
Is there anyway that a child is able to visit the flight deck when the aircraft is NOT in flight...ie pre or post flight (as everyone else is unloading themselves, for example?) - I understand about the current restrictions etc etc, but just wondering if the above is an option.

Thanks in advance,

M. :)

Sonny Hammond
23rd Dec 2002, 01:31
Where I work post flight is acceptable.
A bit of common sense should be used here, otherwise we will create a generation that doesn't know what the pointy end looks like let alone wants to work in there.

Woomera
23rd Dec 2002, 01:41
How will they ever explain the kennel and dog in there to the kiddies.:p

Binoculars
23rd Dec 2002, 01:59
.......... let alone the cat and the duck :)

OZBUSDRIVER
23rd Dec 2002, 05:10
:confused: Cat and Duck I understand. But Dog and Kennel?:D Not only kids want to have a look at what the new front ends look like.:)

RHLMcG
23rd Dec 2002, 05:23
Tell you what - you explain cat and duck for me.

Dog and kennel - the cockpit of the future will be two crew - a man and a dog. The man is there to feed the dog and the dog to bite the man if he dares to touch anything.

Binoculars
23rd Dec 2002, 06:56
Sorry, I didn't think there'd be anybody in the aviation community who hadn't seen it........

THE CAT AND DUCK METHOD OF INSTRUMENT FLIGHT.
1. Place a live cat on the cockpit floor. Because a cat always remains upright, he or she can be used in lieu of a needle and ball. Merely watch to see which way the cat leans to determine if a wing is low, and if so which one.

2. The Duck is used for the Instrument approach and landing. Due to the fact that any sensible duck will refuse to fly under instrument conditions, it is only necessary to hurl your duck out of the aircraft and follow it to the ground.

LIMITATIONS ON THE CAT AND DUCK PROCEDURE.
1. Get a wide awake cat. Most cats do not want to stand up at all. It may be necessary to carry a large dog in the cockpit to keep the cat at attention.

2. Make sure your cat is clean. Dirty cats will spend alll their time washing. Trying to follow a washing cat usually results in a tight snap roll followed by an inverted spin.

3. Use only old cats. Young cats have nine lives, but old cats that have used up their lives have as much to lose as you do and will be more dependable.

4. Beware of a cowardly duck. If the duck discovers that you are using the cat to stay upright, it will refuse to leave without the cat. Remember, ducks are no better in IFR than you are.

5. Be sure that the duck has good eyesight. Near-sighted ducks sometimes fail to recognise that they are on the gauge and go flogging off into the nearest hill. Extremely near-sighted ducks will fail to recognise that they have been thrown from the aircraft and will descend to the ground in a sitting position. This maneuver is very difficult to follow in a fixed wing aircraft.

6. Use only land loving ducks. It is very discouraging to break out and find yourself on final for a lake or marsh, particularly if there are duck hunters around. Duck hunters suffer from temporary insanity while sitting in freezing water for hours and will shoot at anything that flies.

7. Choose your duck carefully. It is easy to confuse ducks with geese as many waterbirds look alike. While they are very competent instrument fliers, geese seldom want to go in the same direction as you. If your duck heads off for Cape York or Tasmania, you can be sure that you have been given the goose.

min
23rd Dec 2002, 08:21
With Sonny Hammond posting, I'm a little concerned that the menagerie is going to include a Skippy also... :)

M.

Woomera
23rd Dec 2002, 08:37
Binoculars
Thanks.
I must have seen that a thousand times but it breaks me up every time.:D

MoFo
29th Dec 2002, 05:22
Min
The answer is yes certainly. Just ask during flight and it would normally be ok. after shutdown.