PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft at Aldershot

atb1943
21st Dec 2002, 22:37
Does anyone know what the aircraft were at the top of Hospital Hill, Aldershot in the mid-fifties, and why they were there?

We swapped buses there on our way from Fleet to Farnborough G.S.

Or the ident of the Spitfire that crashed in Aldershot Road, Fleet, I would guess around 1950?

Grateful for any help.

Aerohack
23rd Dec 2002, 10:11
My father was stationed at Aldershot around 1950 with the Royal Corps of Signals, and I recall going there for a children's Christmas Party and playing games around an Airspeed Horsa, though I don't remember exactly where it was.

The record of RAF losses for 1950 shows only one Spitfire that might fit the bill: F.22 PK322 crashed at Church Crookham on 11 June after losing its tail in a mid-air collision with PK323.

Hope this helps.

atb1943
1st Jan 2003, 20:02
Very many thanks, and apols for late reply due to travel.

Yes, Horsa does ring a bell, not certain why.

Appreciate the Spitfire details, but strange that the records mixup Church Crookham with Fleet. The fuselage came down in Aldershot Road next to a stream that feeds into the canal, the tail scared the occupants of a house in Regent Street. Pity cameras weren't a la mode in those days. I wonder what the other aircraft in the formation were, and what they were doing on a Sunday!

Great lead anyway, and I'll follow up on it. Even got Fleet's historian interested.

brgds