PDA

View Full Version : Ann Welch

Hap Hazard
21st Dec 2002, 21:21
I have been looking through Pprune to find any postings of Ann's recent death and have been a bit surprised that I havent found any(maybe I didnt look hard enough?)
To those who dont know, Ann died on the 5th of December aged 85.
She was a true great in the gliding world and deserves a tribute here on pprune.
As a one time ferry pilot she has flown everything from Spitfires to Wellingtons and flew alongside the greats, such as Amy Johnson.
Ann will no doubt be fondly remembered by most people for her unstinting work she did for the gliding world and was awarded an MBE and OBE and the FIA Gold Air Medal.
She was truly a big part in gliding and promoting the sport to all and was later to play a similar role in the Hanggliding and microlight world.
Author of several books, Ann was also a mother to 3 children and married Lorne Welch, who was involved in construction of the Colditz Glider during Lorne's enforced stay there during the war.
No doubt many ppruners will join me in passing on our condolences to her family and many friends all around the globe.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Dec 2002, 22:35
You'll find many more sentiments similar to your own in the Private Flying forum at http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74622

G

Hap Hazard
24th Dec 2002, 20:51
:eek:Thanks Genghis, thought it too increadible that Ann Welches death went un-noticed, have to look harder next time!
Sorry to repeat the thread.
Here's to a Happy New Year to you all.
HH

circlip
24th Dec 2002, 22:43
Sadly missed by all her friends at Dublin Glideing Club ,Gowran grange ireland

FBS
26th Dec 2002, 16:45
I interviewed Ann about a year ago and she was a lot of fun and a lovely lady. She told me she still had all the Skyways models she had made as a girl, and the logs showing all the flights that flew over her house on the way between Croydon and Paris. She was the very best type of enthusiast.

Sadly missed,