PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Emirates Flight Attendants/Employees

flysr4ever
21st Dec 2002, 20:43
I am sorry if this is OT and understand if it is closed/deleted but I would be very appreciative if an Emirates Flight Attendant (or any employee) could answer one or two questions. I appreciate these may seem strange but would thankful for any replies.

(I am aware of the potential of holidays abroad etc.)

- Does anyone have any idea why an Emirates FA would make all posts from the American AOL (AOL is not a local ISP in the UAE). Are there any reasons why someone would dial the AOL America world service and pay the extra call charges? Poor quality of local service (though I doubt that)? Does Emirates have a deal with AOL America?

- Is it standard practise for EK Flight Attendants to live in Sharjah?

Merry Christmas,
Jer

Blue Boy
22nd Dec 2002, 05:12
In response to your questions:

1) Emirates has over 70 different nationalities working for them. Therefore, the fact that someone may have posted using AOL is of no big deal. AOL is an international, not just an American ISP after all.

2) No, it's not. Unless one chooses to live out of company accommodation.

Now, what's your point caller?

flysr4ever
22nd Dec 2002, 14:27
Okay thanks for replying. Just found out that AOL cannot be used from the UAE (not even their international service) so that pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Blue Boy
22nd Dec 2002, 17:54
You didn't answer my question.

What's your point?

And, YES you can use AOL from the UAE. Trust me, I'm using it right now;)

Now what?

flysr4ever
22nd Dec 2002, 19:44
And, YES you can use AOL from the UAE. Trust me, I'm using it right now

That is the exact opposite to what I found out last night? Not sure if that ;) is sarcasm, but why would someone use AOL from the UAE and pay call charges to the USA? AOL is not a local ISP.

So foreign ISPs can definitely be used from the UAE? I was told no because of censorship.

You ask for the reason? Well I am moderator on another board and someone who claims to be an EK FA is behaving suspiciously .

ferris
23rd Dec 2002, 05:22
Some people may use an alternate proxi (I believe it can be done ;) ) for several reasons; not the least of which would be avoiding identification in the event you were critical of your employer, the country, races etc. Or wanted to access sites prohibited here: anything to do with sex, gambling etc.
As for living in SHJ! If anybody did, announcing it would surely disclose your identity, unless you were an Emirati.

I am sure a few well-aimed questions would solve the mystery?