PDA

View Full Version : Ive got the brain the size of a planet !

BIG MISTER
21st Dec 2002, 15:16
Merry Xmas folks !

Look a computer comes in a nice big box and I plug it in. If it works GREAT. If its cant work....PROBLEM..... I no nothing !

My problem is that I'm playing with a Logitech QuickCam Express Webcam that Ive just brought for xmas.

The plan was to fit one to my machine and then another (Argos are currently doing a buy one get one free deal) to my extended families machine.............

Upon loading in the CD into my machine the on screen wizard says someline along the lines of 'USB not detected'.

I can confirm that this box of tricks has two USB thingies.

Ive looked under Microsoft HELP and followed the settings to device manager.......no USB is listed ????

How do I add my USB's ?

Background Noise
21st Dec 2002, 15:50
What version of Windows do you have?

BIG MISTER
21st Dec 2002, 15:55
ME I THINK !!!!!

BOAC
21st Dec 2002, 21:49
Press 'DELETE' during early boot-up and check in the BIOS settings that the ports are enabled?

BRL
22nd Dec 2002, 12:06
If all else fails, I will give you 20 quid for them.... ;)

timmcat
22nd Dec 2002, 17:56
Two things here (both already touched upon). USB is only supported by Windows 98 onward (although W95 OSR2 with USB will also work). Anything prior just won't do.

As BOAC says, many PC's come with USB disabled in the BIOS. Check yours, if its off, turn it on (!), reboot, and your machine should then self install the USB hardware. Reboot again, and then install your webcam software.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

carbheatcold
22nd Dec 2002, 21:08
I recently had a problem trying to install a driver for my USB smartmedia reader on to a friends laptop. He has win98 first edition and although it supports USB it would not allow the driver to be installed, reading further through the literature we found out that this reader would only work with Win98 SE.
Maybe you have a similar problem?

Happy Christmas

carbheatcold

BIG MISTER
23rd Dec 2002, 04:20
Thanks for the replies guys

The box of tricks says that it is running Windows ME which I guess came after Widows 98 and 98SE ?

I have looked under the device manager for anything to do with USB's and I cant find anything listed there.

I have also 'deleted' out of the boot up and have a good look round the bio's but again nothing ! ! !

Is there a magic CD disc or down load that fixes this problem ?

Cheers

PS - Big Red - Still trying to pay off that bar bill then ? !!!

:D :D :D

ORAC
23rd Dec 2002, 07:05
Logitech Win ME driver (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=downloads/software&CRID=307&contentid=5037&OSID=2&countryid=18&languageid=1) Troubleshooting USB (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=downloads/software&CRID=307&contentid=5037&OSID=2&countryid=18&languageid=1)

tony draper
23rd Dec 2002, 07:43
Had similar probs with USB kit running win 98, usb was disabled in bios.

BOAC
23rd Dec 2002, 08:16
BM - I trust ORAC's link will help you, but were there NO instructions with the camera?!! :confused:

Regarding BIOS, I'm not quite sure what you mean by
"I have also 'deleted' out of the boot up and have a good look round the bio's but again nothing"

I run W98(SE) - I'm sure it is not THAT different. Under 'Advanced Chipset....' check that you have ENABLED the onboard USBs as TD says. If not, do so, and you will probably need then to uninstall and reinstall the cam.

BIG MISTER
23rd Dec 2002, 18:34
IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the help gents !

:D :D :D :D