PDA

View Full Version : AO recruitment

flitegirl
21st Dec 2002, 12:21
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but i have it from a
VERY good source that Australian will be recruiting again very soon. Probably early January for start dates in March or April. Interviews only in CNS and minimum level 4 fluency in Japanese, Mandarin or Cantonese. They need about 30 crew.

good luck.:D

Floaty
21st Dec 2002, 12:28
...ask sally75 for more details... I'm sure she knows... ;)

vdd
22nd Dec 2002, 09:20
Thanks for the info Flitegirl.

Does anyone have any more info on when Australian will be opening their second base and if it will be in Melb? Rumours seem to suggest that it will be Melb.:)

Ta
vdd

jupiter2
22nd Dec 2002, 10:35
Sydney is looking like a stronger market for a 2nd base.
Watch for recruitment in 6 months.

flitegirl
23rd Dec 2002, 12:20
Melbourne still looks like the most likely choice for a second base according to "talk" within the company. Probably not till this time next year. Watch for recruitment mid year. Fair few of the current CNS based crew are keen too move south though, so for their sake hopefully some of the new openings will be filled by them

Haven't heard much about syd? Interesting. PER has also been mentioned but Melbourne is looking good at the moment. But at this stage i don't think anyone really knows for sure!!:confused:

Time will tell!!

...so what do you know Sally75:)

...good luck vdd;)

...tell us more about syd base jupiter2:D

cheers
flitegirl

notsovapid
24th Dec 2002, 12:29
Well my little spy in CNS tells me that if you know the right people and I can think of several right now, you may even have been lucky enough to have have been admitted through the back door already, language or no language. They are a little short-staffed it would seem as a good number of places offered were not taken and a few of the new recruits have been less than enamoured with the life in CNS.
My info however matches others, middle of next year for a Southern base. Happy hunting!

cino2go
24th Dec 2002, 22:18
As AO crew I can tell you that they will be advertising for language speakers in the early new year. Dates have been published for the 2 training schools even. Requirements are as mentioned above, minus some of the normal galley gossip.

These language only positions are to cover holidays slots that start in May 2003.

As for the second base you might as well add Adelaide and Darwin to the list of prespective bases!

flitegirl
25th Dec 2002, 13:03
Notsovapid... you sure your little spy in CNS isn't double crossing you?

PS some new recruits turned down their offer before traning. No one has left CNS since going on line.

:o

dejvu
26th Dec 2002, 04:27
hey i just wonder if AO ever accepted foreign application??

well...I am from Hong Kong..i speak fluent mandarin, native cantonese and fluent english as well...

also i worked for the airlines before and now i work for the airport authority here........
everything;s related to airline and airport operations......

anyone knows where i can get more info about the recruitment?? also where to send my CV to ????? i dont mind flying to Australia for the interview~~ as HKG is one of the ports AO fly to ~~~

hope soemone can help me here

cheers and merry xmas :)

vdd
26th Dec 2002, 08:53
Hi Dejvu

Keep your eye on their website as when they recruit next time they will most likely announce it on their website.

www.australianairlines.com.au/employment.html

I'm not sure of their policy regarding employment of people from overseas. Someone else might know though.

Cheers:)
vdd

flitegirl
26th Dec 2002, 12:48
dejvu... you have great qualifications. I'm pretty sure AO will accept people as long as they have permenant residency. I know we have people who, for example, who are Japanese citizens but have permenant residency in Australia.

They will recruit very soon for people with your language skills. i believe in the next few weeks. Keep checking the web.

good luck;)

notsovapid
26th Dec 2002, 13:20
My FNQ spy indeed confirms all the above info posted about schools and staffing requirements :)
It is a prerequisite for employment with AO that you have Australian permanent residency status in order to receive an offer of employment. Do you have that by any chance?
It would seem that this is a MUST have for you in order to proceed with an application. As has already been advised in other posts, any positions will be advertised on the web site.
Good luck!

dejvu
26th Dec 2002, 15:30
so sad i dont have the residency there :(
oh well......... i m only a hongkong citizen....but dont they sponsor a work visa for people??

Floaty
26th Dec 2002, 21:18
Notsvapid, will all the respect due, I have to inform you that permanent residency status is NOT a must to work for AO...

I had myself 2 interviews during their first selection. I have a British passport and I am married to an Australian. I have a valid 2 year TEMPORARY work visa for Australia and with this I was accepted to both stages I and II with Australian Airlines.

As far as I know, the only company in Australia currently requiring a PERMANENT work visa or Autralian citizenship WITHOUT EXCEPTION is Qantas (and ALL its subsidiaries of course), which leaves out Virgin Blue and a bunch of others... (don't know about REX though!).

Unfortunately, Dejvu, a permanent work visa is very difficult to obtain (unless you are a nurse... in that case you're welcome anywhere :D ) and most of the people coming to Oz receive this 2 year temporary work visa... others only 6 months... hard to tell... To know more, you should contact the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs in Australia. Their website is: http://www.immi.gov.au
but this is another story, believe me... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck anyway!

Mrs. FloatJockey

dejvu
27th Dec 2002, 01:32
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm still it is impossible to get a long term visa...unless AO is really dying to look for a cantonese speaking crew..mmm well i m qualified..but they just wont hire people to base in hongkong :( how sad!

and thanx for ur help on the visa thing...it looks quite complicated :)

vdd
27th Dec 2002, 02:04
Hi

How many language speakers did AO hire in their last recruitment? I remember it being high on their priority list. Is it something like 60% of the current AO crew are Asian language speakers?

Cheers
vdd:)

flitegirl
27th Dec 2002, 09:52
vdd
not totally sure, I think it is more like 30-40% who are official language speakers (ie they have the appropriate language badge and make public announcments on board). There are numerous others who aren't level four fluency or higher but therefore applied as a non-language speaker because they didn't have the certificate to show at registration. (stage 1 of interviews).

I'd say this is why the imminent recruitment is for speakers only, because they are looking to top up numbers. (i've also heard Japanese speakers are in demand more than the Chinese languages, but they definitely want both.)

dejvu
27th Dec 2002, 14:26
well u see they have daily flights to Nagoya :) sure they need more japanese speakers.......

haha about making PA ..i have to do it at the airport in hongkong :) so it 's great fun to make PA actually..especially i have to make the airport -wide PA for every airlines' late pax
sometimes the names were just..mmmm..so so readible:) for example people from thailand...:)

awwwwwwww i so much wanna work in australia~~~~~ what can i do ???????????????????????:confused:

notsovapid
28th Dec 2002, 17:43
Ummmm, now I don't want to cause our friend dejavu any more concern than already had but I find your post somewhat muddying the discussion.... I gather that you proceeded through the interview process with AO successfully to at least stage 2 but no further. It's not clear if the visa status was the reason for not progressing further or some other reason..
You do however say in your post,

"As far as I know, the only company in Australia currently requiring a PERMANENT work visa or Autralian citizenship WITHOUT EXCEPTION is Qantas (and ALL its
subsidiaries of course),"

Well, surely you know that AO is a wholly owned subsidiary airline, with its own separate management structure? So equally as sure, you have demolished your own previous assertion about AO and permanent residency?

Floaty
28th Dec 2002, 21:38
Sorry if I created confusion Notsovapid! In fact my sentence is not correct. AO was an exception to the permanent residency visa' rule with QF.

Yes, I went through stage II but no, the visa was not the reason for the rejection. I do not speak any of the languages AO required and had somehow few problems related to the relocation to Cairns, due to my husband's profession...

The registration stage at AO was very strict. Candidates not in possess of at least a 2 years work visa could not go further. If my visa had been the problem at that stage, they wouldn't have kept me until stage II.

I however tried several times applying with other QF subsidiaries, as well as MAM and NJS, but without success. I even had a lady from Eastern calling me for an interview but, when I mentioned my visa type, she said she had to withdraw the offer..... sigh!
I finally found the courage to call QF recruitment (and consulted other insiders...) to understand why I could not apply with them, but this seems to be an inflexible condition, due to some problems occured in the past... won't say more about that here 'coz the answer is not official anyway.... and somehow I can appreciate the fact that the Australian national flag carrier prefers to give jobs to Australian citizen.... therefore I won't complain... :D

Hope to have clarified the visa thing.

------------------------------------------------

Returning to AO:

It is true the percentage of asian language speakers hired by AO during 2002 was quite high. There where however heaps of "non-language speakers" or people with "below intermediate" levels, - therefore not qualified as language speakers - but they also got offered a later starting date (as flitegirl mentioned earlier).

On the other hand, AO was just starting and, as a matter of fact, needed to select qualified cabin crew for Pursers positions. I got told that several ex-AN people got hired, even if non-language speakers, to cover these positions. (which is a good thing!)

This time around, my guess would be that only language speakers will be selected, and only as junior cabin crew, since internal promotions will happen for language speakers!! ...but as usual this is just a guess.... ;)

Mrs. FloatJockey

flitegirl
29th Dec 2002, 11:32
Your guesses and presumptions are very accurate floaty.;)

vdd
2nd Jan 2003, 09:38
Hi

Does anyone know if AO will go thru StaffCV with their next recruitment?

AO and Impulse are just about the only Aussie ones not on there now.

vdd
7th Jan 2003, 10:07
Thank you for your interest in working for Australia's new international airline.

Further employment opportunities for the position of Flight Attendant with Japanese, Mandarin or Cantonese language skills are to be announced.

We will continue to update this page with information about employment and advertising details, so keep visiting us for the latest employment information.

Australian Airlines is wholly owned by Qantas Airways Limited but managed separately and operated independently. Separate conditions of employment will apply for Australian Airlines employees.

Updated: January 2003

wing8
10th Jan 2003, 05:01
Take a look at AO website!

Those interested in working for Australian Airlines might want to take a look at the updated website as they are now recruiting- but fluency in Cantonese,Mandarin or Japanese is essential.

There is an application form attached to website that you must complete, attach photo and post it to the airline.

Good-luck to those who plan to go for it...:D

jupiter2
10th Jan 2003, 13:35
Today, it's now Darwin as the next base.

hhb747
10th Jan 2003, 16:22
Rumor has it World Airways is hiring as many as 60 Flight Attendants due to an increase in flying. Open houses are next week in ATL - :)