PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 6 Revisited

roach
20th Dec 2002, 21:27
I know this topic has probably been discussed before but I can't find any links. At present I am using IE5/OE5 on W98 and connecting through a standard modem. Should I install IE6, what benefit will I see and if not, why not?
Thanks in advance.

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
21st Dec 2002, 11:32
The most serious problems with all of the IE family (and other "internet aware" products from M$, like Outlook) is their very poor security track record. You really need to keep up-to-date on installing the security hotfixes/patches/service packs if you want your surfing to be safe. But the service packes themselves have a history of breaking things, which is why, once burned, people tend to avoid installing them -- as well as the sheer irritation of havingto do it... :rolleyes:

As for useability/whatever, well, you'll be using a product that a large proportion of website designers assume that you will be using -- so much for software independence, as I remarked on another thread... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75798)

timmcat
21st Dec 2002, 19:30
There is not much of a case for not upgrading your browser. You may notice a slight increase in performance, but, as RTFM has stated, you will benefit from the increased (!) security from a more up to date program. Don't forget to visit Windows Update as soon as possible after install to download yet more plugs.

Incidentally, I'm using some java based site at work which will not work on anything earlier than IE5.5

Tim

Binoculars
22nd Dec 2002, 06:40
I was using IE5 with W98 for a long time and everything was nice and stable with no problems, but my internet banking became a problem because of java issues. I was told I had to upgrade to IE6 and immediately ran into problems. This was a while ago now and I can't recall the exact nature of the problems, but I know it was enough for me to go back to IE5. But having had 6 on there, it didn't like going back to 5, or then trying to reinstall 6, and eventually I had to format my hard drive and start again. Since then everything has been working OK, but if it hadn't been for the Java I would have been quite happy to keep using 5. Certainly no discernible other benefits that I could see; change for the sake of change as usual from Microsoft.