PDA

View Full Version : Airline "Stuff"

4321zip
20th Dec 2002, 20:37
Hi Guys!
This is my first post on PPrune, so don't be too harsh, its a question!
Just a question that I'd like to ask you:
I'm not actually airline crew yet, just a wannabee and something that I'd like to try to do, as I don't fly that often, is to collect postcards, safety cards, in-flight magazines or any airline "things" that I'd be able to collect from airlines around the world, such as from the good people of PPRUNE.
I was wondering how the best way to set this up would be?
4321zip

rsoman
20th Dec 2002, 21:37
Quite a few other sites around in the net world which also discusses major things like the sweetness (or sourness) of chocloate icecream served on board or whether it is the Mac or the TGI which has the most beef in the burger in the airport lounge etc ,which might help!.
Lots of enthusiasts around who might even TRADE!

bealine
21st Dec 2002, 06:44
You might also try the "Nostalgia" sites where old comrades from airlines gone by meet up:

You'll have to use the Search Engines but try Dan Air, BUA, British Caledonian, BEA or British European Airways (my favourite!) BOAC, Pan Am etc. On some of these sites, memorabilia is offered for sale or there are scans of cards, photographs etc available.

Good Luck!;)

bealine
23rd Dec 2002, 21:25
Just in case any oher collectors are looking in, can I give you a friendly word of advice:

Collect memorabilia by all means - postcards, menus, timetables - even headphones or china if you must! However, please do not collect anything involved with safety unless you can prove that it is either from a scrapped aircraft or is itself obsolete!

The removal of Safety Cards, Aviation Manuals, Lifejackets, seatbelts etc is viewed very seriously (with good reason) by airlines and those authorities working with the aviation industry. In Britain the fines can be severe, but in some countries a custodial sentence would be mandatory!

Prior to 09/11, our Aircraft Technical Library at LGW has helped many a Flight Simmer or Aviation Studies student with Aerad Directories and Airway Charts, but each one is Rubber Stamped "Superceded - Not to Be Used for Aviation Purposes" before leaving the premises! Our British Airways charity, "Dreamflight", in return gained many a financial contribution!

Unfortunately, since 09/11, they have had to shred their old publications:(

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but I love airlines and aircraft myself and really felt for those poor guys facing Greek justice earlier this year through seemingly innocent actions! I don't want anyone else falling into the trap!

;)

mutt
24th Dec 2002, 12:53
.Prior to 09/11, our Aircraft Technical Library at LGW has helped many a Flight Simmer or Aviation Studies student with Aerad Directories and Airway Charts, but each one is Rubber Stamped "Superceded - Not to Be Used for Aviation Purposes" before leaving the premises! Our British Airways charity, "Dreamflight", in return gained many a financial contribution!

This is sad, if someone has sufficient knowledge to understand an Aerad chart, they most certainly know how to obtain them!

I sometimes wonder if people making these decisions actually think about what they are doing!

Mutt

rsoman
25th Dec 2002, 23:27
Mutt
I fully agree. BA sheeding its old Aerad charts post 9/11 is not going to help any way, while in atleast one major airport in the UK , not only does the visitor centre has advanced facilties like cameras zoomingall over the ramp and broadcasting live ATC conversations for the benfit of the vistors, they also freely sell Air Band scanners to anyone including some very sophisticated ones.

And this is the same country who charges a licence fee for home televisions and uses scanners to detect UNAUTHORISED USERS!!!

WOW!

World Traveller
26th Dec 2002, 20:03
The ATC in the BHX viewing thing isn't live. Though whether ya average punter knows this, I don't know.

Same difference though, you can still buy a scanner for a hundred quid.

WT
-just a punter

PS - there are websites and fairs dedicated to trading safety cards - and also stuff like sick bags - in fact the aviation museum at Diss (Suffolk, just) (dunno if its still there - visited c. 1987) used to have a collection of airline branded salt and pepper portions and what have ya.

rsoman
27th Dec 2002, 07:22
Thanks WT
Wasnt there long enough in BHX to checkout whether ATC was live or not. But impressive facilties by the way I have to add for the vistors at BHX, compared to LHR. Both these places when I visited seemed to have quite a few chaps with Telescopes as well as scanners blasting out in full volume (dont know why these blokes cant invest in a ear piece as it is definttely not my favorite piece of music anyway!)In LHR there were blokes with fdoldable garden chairs even!Came to make an outing of it I suppose!