PDA

View Full Version : Perth

ukpaulpal
19th Dec 2002, 21:55
Hi All,

I am going to be moving down to Perth in the near future and I am seriously thinking of a career change and undertaking my CPL.

I have a few concerns though - Mainly that I am moving to Perth with my Wife and daughter, so I will need a reasonable income at some point in the not too distant future along with the fact that we will be based in Perth permenantly.

What are the work prospects in Perth like for a new pilot and what sort of income if I am lucky enough to get a job can I expect?

Thanks

Paul

Islander Jock
20th Dec 2002, 00:15
G'day ukpaualpal,

Well mate you've picked probably the best city in Australia to live but one with limited job prospects. There have been a few CPLs locally who have picked up casual gigs but with a wife and family I wouldn't recommend that road. Quite a few CPLs have walked straight into jobs in the NW of the state whilst many others have spent weeks or months cleaning dunnys in the resort hotels in places like Broome. Jobs for low time CPLs are rarely advertised, rather it is a matter of being known around the traps and having a good network of contacts.

As far as wages or salaries go. There is a general aviation award which is pretty crappy. Some of the full time charter guys here may be able to give you a better idea. Casual rates can vary from anything between $80 - $240 AUD per day (+exp)

Apart from flying, what other quals and skills to you have as it is probably these you will have to fall back on to keep a roof over your head.

There will never be the "worldwide shortage of pilots" that the training institutions keep telling the prospective punters but at the same time, there is always some movement in GA. You just have to be in the right place at the right time and perhaps know the right people. Sorry I can't be more positive than that but I'd hate to see you bring your family to the other side of the world and end up totally disollusioned.

Good luck with it :) :)

ukpaulpal
21st Dec 2002, 21:11
G'day Mate,

Thanks for your response

It all sounds a bit doom and gloom and has really put me in two minds as to whether I should do my CPL or just stick with my current career when arriving in Perth.

Someone mentioned to me that I should take my instructors with my CPL and work as an instructor, but I would have thought that there would have been even less work for a newly qualified CPL/Instructor?

Cheers

Paul

Ref + 10
22nd Dec 2002, 00:29
Hey ukpaulpal,

Islander Jock is right saying Perth rules. I'm amazed more people don't flock here!!

As for flying jobs. There are often jobs advertised around jandakot for instructors so you should be able to pick up a part time gig. Charter flying is harder to get and as mentioned, most people go north to get the first job.

If you're gunna come join us don't leave it too long cause the weather here at the moment is nigh on perfect! White beaches with blue/green water await.

Ref

topend3
24th Dec 2002, 06:09
yep, your best chance of geting work by far in perth is with a cpl and a instructor rating, many new cpls pick up instructing work soon after they have their new qual and i have heard of guys picking up some charter work too here and ther, at the end of theday if you decide to change careers be prepared to put up with a lot of ****, but thats ga!!!

Checkerboard
24th Dec 2002, 13:38
And i might add, dont even think you will be able to live off a grade 3 instructors wage with a family to support! You will have to hang around the airport for around 40-50 hours a week and may only pick up 4-5 hours of flying per week leaving liitle time for anything else and still going home with empty pockets.

Don't mean to discourage you but its not all roses, and if you want to stay in Perth it will be all the more harder. People tend to go elsewhere get the hours and experience and then think of moving back to Perth onto the regionals or charter after couple of years.