PDA

View Full Version : SLF - Should we?

TightSlot
19th Dec 2002, 16:48
I really dislike the use of the word SLF (Self Loading Freight) for passengers in these forums. Here's why..

1. It sends out all the wrong messages to those who don't fly, about our perception of them as passengers.

2. It dehumanises our passengers. They are not freight, but people, and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.

3. It makes us look unprofessional and uncaring.

I suggest that we all (Cabin Crew) agree a voluntary ban on the use of this phrase in this forum: Alternatives might be pax, passengers or (steady now) customers.

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that I am in a minority of one, which is why there's a poll - I'll be interested to see how it goes! :cool:

Sven Sixtoo
19th Dec 2002, 22:54
Nope

I have been SLF on many occasions.

It reflects perfectly the crews problem with the task.

I am a professional pilot; my terminology includes

Grunts
Grockles
Bennies
Stills
Dogs
Survivors

Some of these are literally correct, some are descriptive, not all are derogatory.

I don't have a problem if the trolley dolly calls me SLF, just as long as s'he is prepared to be the TD.

And I still respect her/him for getting us out in in a crash.

Sven

wingless
19th Dec 2002, 22:57
think about all the degrading things we get called.
i don't think slf is that bad considering....

christep
20th Dec 2002, 01:09
As an SLF I don't have a problem with it at all, particularly while the trolley dolleys continue proudly to proclaim the tightness of their slots ;)

Sick Squid
20th Dec 2002, 01:34
I believe..... and bearing in mind that I also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, and Scotland's chances of winning the World Cup you can weight this accordingly.... that the term Self Loading Freight originated in the hilariously funny* "Uncle Roger" feature at the back of each issue of Flight International magazine.

At least, that's where I've seen it in most use.

£6

* About as funny as a week in jail, that is.... or intimate body piercing with blunt instruments....

TightSlot
20th Dec 2002, 10:10
Ok, thanx... at time of posting 115 have viewed and 19 voted, with the results shown above.

There's no intention to net nanny here, just to see if a conscensus exists (it doesn't). I don't like the phrase, and so don't use it.

I was attempting to find middle ground, because it is pretty clear from a number of posts in this and other forums that there are a minority of people who don't just have a mild dislike of cabin crew, but either ignore them and their views altogether or dislike them intensely. If you don't know what I mean see http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72184 for some really vicious statements
or
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75278&perpage=30&pagenumber=1 for a situation that directly involved cabin crew, where the few CC who posted are ignored comprehensively. There are plenty of other examples available.

There is a real problem with the attitude that some people have to Cabin Crew in general (and vice versa) and in my view, we as a profession should try to deal with it. But maybe not here and not in this way

Tuba Mirum
20th Dec 2002, 11:32
It really doesn't give me a problem being referred to as SLF - I take it as workplace humour, and find a good deal of interest in the a/c as workplace, otherwise I wouldn't be here. Words like "heat" and "kitchen" come to mind.

IFTB
20th Dec 2002, 12:43
Anyone care to explain properly what is offensive in the term SLF?

I personnally find it quite a descriptive and humoristic term, not offensive, I don't see how it can be.

TightSlot's explanation is a lot of bull in my opinion.
You can take offence at anything that way.

TightSlot
20th Dec 2002, 15:13
one ball

Yawn... OED has this

pe•dan•tic /pdæntk/ adj. (disapproving) too worried about small details or rules: a pedantic insistence on the correct way of doing things
pe•dan•tic•al•ly /-kli/ adv.

Thread's dead - take it outside!

Xenia
20th Dec 2002, 18:23
Play the ball .. not the player!
http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/bangin.gif

SLF
22nd Dec 2002, 21:05
Um - it's what attracted me to the site in the first place...:)

If any passengers find the term offensive, I'd (politely) suggest they frequent a different forum!

cargosales
23rd Dec 2002, 08:13
On a personal level SLF doesn't bother me - I know it's a bit tongue in cheek / industry slang or whatever you call it but I can see how it might send the wrong signals to some people. (Particularly newcomers / non aviation industry visitors to PPRuNe? Perhaps they shouldn't be here but the reality is that they are).

However, the effect of the term is possibly more pronounced when read with the rest of the forum header which says:

The other half of the airborne team who put up with the self-loading freight

The put up with bit could be taken as sending the wrong message about the CC expectations about the behaviour of all SLF, not just the few who spoil things for the rest of us? *Thinks* it's a shame there isn't a special area downstairs with the rest of the freight to accomodate those precious few :D

Merry Christmas everyone

CS

Tuba Mirum
23rd Dec 2002, 12:12
Anyone prepared to manufacture a "SLF and proud of it" lapel badge? I could probably be persuaded to fork out for one.

EGCC_pax
23rd Dec 2002, 17:44
The term SLF does not bother me one way or another!

In any service industry there will be a name for members of the public .

And if Mr + Mrs J.Public dont like being called SLF then dont participate in these foruns.

Paul

Wonderworld
25th Dec 2002, 01:06
Call us anything as long as its not "guests", a la Virgin Blue.

kbf1
2nd Jan 2003, 12:30
Nope, no dramas about being described as SLF by the CC...so long as they are young, female, and attractive (loose sexual morals an added bonus). I understand however that the politically correct lobby would prefer that we are referred to as "gender-neutral, non-ethnically profiled traveling (in a non-perjurative sense) individuals of sentient ability", however I can see the difficulty in coming up with a catchy "acronym" for that one.

Personally, I am more concerned with what £6 is doing with blunt instruments and piercings. Perhaps it has something to do with the rock-god lifestyle so alien to all of us light blue-beret'd, throb monster flying, sun-tanned heros of democracy that the RAF can only aspire to?

sven-62, of course you realise that a some-time OC Wild God-Forsaken Wilderness Lines forbad the term "Bennies", hence the evolution to "Stills"? Perhaps the banning of SLF will result in us being referred to as "Stills" (Still F*kkin' SLF!)

Self Loading Freight
6th Jan 2003, 23:50
Well, I think it's terribly demeaning.

R

Rollingthunder
8th Jan 2003, 00:22
Not as demeaning as "Meat Bomb". :D

cabinkitten
8th Jan 2003, 23:29
Self loading freight/hags with bags etc etc its all friendly airline lingo....the same lingo that has me pegged as a trolly dolly/ galley rat... as for 'putting up' with the slf lets be honest, much as I love what I do I'd rather be cultivating an all over tan in Martinique 24-7 than pouring some nylon clad charter-ites 101st cup of tepid nescafe on a night sector...;)

LordGrumpy
10th Jan 2003, 15:52
Fine business : Self Loading Freight.
I'd have to be narrow minded to disaprove.

Rule Britannia; they take me on my hols. And come top, of the polls

ChrisVJ
18th Jan 2003, 18:50
Remember "Grockles" in 'Brighton Rock?'

Its always something. Who cares as long as you don't use it to my face except as a perverse indication of (social) intimacy?

DistantRumble
23rd Jan 2003, 13:23
I revel in being an SLF.