PDA

View Full Version : Going commercial

FlyingForFun
9th Oct 2001, 12:25
PPRuNers,

First of all, an introduction: Some of you will know me from other forums, or from the chat room, but this is my first post in Wannabes. I'm a private pilot - I got my PPL this July, after 10 months, and with 48 hours logged. Since then, I've built my total time up to around 70 hours, I'm 1.5 hours into a tailwheel conversion course - and I'm loving every minute that I spend in or around aeroplanes! But I've always said that I have no intentional of becoming a commercial pilot. After all, I have a perfectly good career in IT, and why ruin a hobby like flying by turning it into work?

However, things change. Due to various personal issues, I've begun to reconsider commercial flying. I have struggled to make the final decision for a short while, but yesterday my mind was made up for me by the possibility of redundancy. I don't believe that I will be forced to take redundancy, although it's a possibility. But I do have an opportunity to apply for voluntary redundancy - and receive a pay-off which would almost cover the cost of getting a frozen ATPL.

I've begun seriously researching what's involved, and after a few more thorough readings of Clive Hughes' book "How to become a commercial pilot" (or something like that) I think I may understand it, but at the moment it's still a bit vague. But I've started to formulate a plan anyway - almost certainly subject to change as I start to understand things a bit better!

I intend to apply for voluntary redundancy. Assuming the application is accepted, I'll then have a fairly large amount of money, and no job - the perfect opportunity to do some hour building. I'll finish off my tailwheel conversion course, and then probably get a night rating, in the UK. While I'm doing that, I'll make arrangements to spend probably 6-8 weeks in the States hour-building on as wide a range of aircraft as possible. I want to stay involved in general aviation and private flying, especially with vintage aircraft, aerobatics and formation/display flying, so I'd like to build up some tailwheel hours at the same time as moving towards the big jets, even if that means it takes more time and more flying hours before potential employers will look at me. I also plan on getting my multi-engine rating in the States.

After that, I'll come back to England and find another job in IT, while making a start on a distance-learning course for the ATPL exams. I'll then complete the rest of the training, as far as possible, part time, which I anticipate will take a couple of years. Hopefully by that time, the aviation industry will start to pick up again, and there'll be a job waiting for me..... (and pigs will fly, too!)

So that's it, in a nutshell. I'm still trying to get my head around exactly what the requirements are, what costs are involved, what's the best order to do things - as well as the chances of getting a job at the end of it, and the chances of finding more short-term work in IT to be able to fund it! And of course none of this will apply if my application for voluntary redundancy is rejected. But I need to make a firm decision soon - the deadline for voluntary redundancy applications is 19th October.

I'm sure I'll be back here with plenty of questions over the coming months and years! In the meantime, I'd welcome any comments, suggestion, encouragement or even discouragement!

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

FFF
-------------

Dotun
9th Oct 2001, 13:17
What's up FlyingForFun,
A little advice, be careful about doing the voluntary redundancy stuff. Unless you work for a big IT firm, the pay off might not be that good. If your company really wants to cut costs, they might go along with the government stipulated requirements. It also depends on how long you have been working for this company, how old you are etc.

Regards
:eek:

FlyingForFun
9th Oct 2001, 16:26
Good advice, Dotun, thanks.

Not an issue, as it happens. I happen to be on 6 months notice, which means I'll get 6 months payment in lieu, on top of any redundancy money (and I also get to agree the exact terms before I sign anything) - more than enough to fund a little bit of flying! Unfortunately, not quite enough to buy an island in the Caribbean, build an aistrip and retire - but we can all dream! :)

(Of course, this could also be a good reason why the company might not accept me for voluntary redundancy - time will tell.)

FFF
------------

Whirlybird
9th Oct 2001, 17:48
FlyingForFun,

I'm not an expert, but if that's your situation, GO FOR IT! Unlike most wannabes, you have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out, you won't have borrowed thousands, and you'll likely as not be able to find another IT job. If you read this forum you'll know all the snags of training at the present time, but it sounds like you have the cash (or will have) so it won't matter. A huge number of people on this forum must be dead jealous! :)

BigRab
9th Oct 2001, 17:58
Don't waste your money.
With probably thousands of qualified experienced EU pilots it will be years before you earn a penny.

You don't have to be mad to be a pilot - but it helps! :D

Clive Hughes
9th Oct 2001, 22:03
Please feel free to give me a call and I will see if I can help - phone number is in the book, chapter 14.

Send Clowns
9th Oct 2001, 22:06
Hey, FFF mate, I will be seeing you in about a week and a half, so I can talk then. You may or may not know that I work for the nation's finest provider of JAA approved modular training, and have also recently completed my JAA ATPL (frozen). I therefore know a little about the subject and am willing to go over the requirements with you at the great CowBash(TM).

If you want any info sooner, email (in my profile)/phone or see me in chat mate.

Good to see you will have to be changing your name - FlyingForFun and Profit!

FlyingForFun
11th Oct 2001, 12:35
Thank you to everyone who has responded to this - either on this forum, or privately.

I've spoken to a lot of people, including family, friends, several people who have offered advice in the chat room or on this forum, and other PPRuNers whom I've spoken to on the phone. I appreciate every single piece of input I've had - everything from a simple "go for it", through to advice and other things to think about.

Many of things which people have suggested I take into account were things which I had already considered, and have help confirm that I have most of the important points covered.

But I'm especially grateful to two people (one knows who she is, the other probably doesn't, but I'll be seeing her shortly and making sure she does) who have made suggestions and raised points which I hadn't considered - so a huge thanks to the two of you!

I still have another week to consider my options, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be going for it. As Whirly pointed out, I hope to be in a situation which many Wannabes would love to find themselves in (thanks for pointing that out, Whirly - if I do come out of this with the amount of money I hope to, I will be making a substantial contribution to the PPRuNe Wannabes fund in the hope that someone else can also benefit from my good luck), and I may not get this chance again. But several people have emphasised to me that the market is not particularly good at the moment, and I will be careful not to close the door on IT.

Send Clowns, by the time we meet, the deadline for making the voluntary redundancy decision will have passed - but I appreciate the offer of having a chat, and I'll definitely be taking you up on it!

And Clive, thanks for your offer, too - I didn't realise you posted here! The book is excellent, and seems to contain just about all the info I could possibly need. A little confusing in places, but I think that's because it's a confusing subject - I'll be re-reading some parts of it several times I think!

I probably won't know whether my company will accept me for redundancy for 2-4 weeks. It could be a very long couple of weeks. But I hope to be posting here regularly in the future, and I'm looking forward to exciting challenges and changes over the next few years!

FFF
------------

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: FlyingForFun ]