PDA

View Full Version : Where and how much to fly a Tiger Moth?

simonh11
18th Dec 2002, 09:22
Hello everybody!

I'm toying with the idea of doing a tailwheel conversion course next summer and I'm thinking it would be a good idea to do it in a Tiger Moth. Not only would I do the tail wheel bit but also have an interesting classic in the logbook. I've checked out the de Havilland Moth Club's internet site for locations and prices. They have given me a few leads to follow up. Would anybody like to recomend somewhere in southern UK that would be a good place to go, as well as suggesting what would be a reasonable rate per hour for either dual (with instructor) or solo hire?

mxahny!

Simon

WebPilot
18th Dec 2002, 09:43
Cub Air at Redhill had a Tiger [1] la couple of seasons ago but I'm not sure if they still have it, although I did see it overhead at least once last summer. They also do tailwheel conversions on, well, Cubs......

[1] G-ANDE

http://www.cubair.demon.co.uk

Cambridge Flying Group however definitely have Tigers for training.

If you would prefer to fly during the week you should contact Betty Ison on 01223 293343) to make a booking. For weekend bookings the contact is David Kirkham on 01763 220255. You need to bring warm clothes (even in summer). The group has helmets and goggles.

Current membership fee is £ 85 per year. Depending on your progress with the conversion to flying a taildragger you should be able to fly solo after a few hours with an instructor.

To get to Cambridge Airfield, drive from London to Cambridge on the M11, leave at exit 11 into Cambridge, follow signs to A1303 (Newmarket Road) or Airfield if signposted. The gate to the Flying Clubs is on the right hand side (coming from center of town on Newmarket Road). You pass a large car sales place on the left and just after that on the other side is the gate. If you pass a petrol station on the left, you have gone 200 m too far.

simonh11
18th Dec 2002, 10:18
Thanks for the info Webpilot.

The group has helmets and goggles.
Is it a problem wearing glasses with these goggles?

Simon

MLS-12D
18th Dec 2002, 22:39
You should not have any problems with most glasses/goggles combinations, but if so there are specialty goggles availabe: see http://www.davida.co.uk/gogglesindex.html

P.S. You'd better seek out a DH82C if you want to do a tailwheel (sic) conversion; otherwise, you'll be flying a genuine taildragger (with skid)! :D

Lowtimer
19th Dec 2002, 12:18
Taildragger training on the Tiger Moth (a particularly nice one with the more powerful Gipsy Major 10-2 engine) is also available at Northants School of Flying, at Sywell. They also have a 90-horse Cub and a Pitts S-2A for additional tailwheel experiences.

bingoboy
19th Dec 2002, 17:06
RE Goggles for aviation open cockpit - I have found that ski type goggles are cheap and efficient and it's easy to get them for spec wearers. I know

The Inspector
20th Dec 2002, 22:06
Why not try the Tiger Club at Lashenden (Headcorn)? 01622 891017. They've got 2 Tiger Moths for hire. Cant remember how much, but reasonable i think maybe in the region of £125/hr plus free instruction and no landing fees ......And lots of fun chatting to some of the pilots there. Lots of famous air display pilots drinking tea in the clubhouse last time i was there..