View Full Version : BMI baby 3rd base

BryanC123
17th Dec 2002, 18:24
Well rumour has it that the deal for MAN to be the 3rd BMI baby base was all done and dusted , or so was thought until at the 11th hour LPL have jumped in and under cut the MAN deal.

If so is it logical that BMI baby will go head to head with Easyjet or is it just a ploy to get MAN to reduce landing fees to keep deal

Anyone thoughts...............

682ft AMSL
17th Dec 2002, 21:46
I don't know where it will be, but I could think of a number of reasons why it wouldn't be MAN. For example.....

(1) The authorities at MAN wouldn't bow to pressure from Ryanair to maintain or lower handling fees, so why would they be prepared to offer bmi baby the sort of start-up package that a lo-co looks for at a new base

(2) bmi are struggling for things to do with the Embraer fleet as it is, so why would they release more -145s by replacing the current MAN a/c with Baby a/c. Unless of course bmi regional and bmi baby would operate alongside each other, which is contrary to how the EMA operation was restructured.

(3) The authorities at MAN wish to develop a hub operation and bmi with their Star Alliance links are as good a bet as any to help develop this side of the business for them. Again unless you envisage bmi regional and Baby operating alongside each other, would MAN really wish to lose all those feeder flights from Scotland etc.

As always, I wait to be proved wrong

BryanC123
17th Dec 2002, 22:14
As far as I am let to believe BMI baby would operate alongside BMIR as the business revenue generated on the EDI/GLA routes from MAN on the EMB is too lucrative to give up. They are flying with 80% business class and the other 20% economy so the maths must speak for themselves..............