PDA

View Full Version : UAL calling...hello CX?, are you there?

411A
17th Dec 2002, 16:47
With the present situation at UAL, the story could develop thus:

UAL CEO calls CX management and mentions that they have a LOT of trained and current pilots (including Captains) trained on all (or nearly all) current CX types, 747-400, 777 etc including Airboos new generation types, and are to offer early out to these guys and in exchange they can continue line flying at CX, and still collect ALPA retirement, in effect becoming double-dippers, so to speak.
This would at the same time solve the CX AoA "problem", in effect offer CX management a chance to reduce substantially their flight crew cost center burden. As for the so-called "ban", would not apply as these new guys would be at the end of their flying road anyway, and would retire after say, 4 years at CX.

A win-win situation for both managements.

Wonder if it has been discussed at boardroom level?
Bet it has....:eek:

gissmonkey
17th Dec 2002, 19:50
hey ******,

long time no hear????? ya mum must be busy...................

Cpt. Underpants
17th Dec 2002, 22:53
You make an art form of buffoonery. You been sniffing Ben-Gay again, old fella?

jtr
18th Dec 2002, 01:54
411A, I am surprised, normally your posts indicate you have some idea (some being the operative word) of what you are talking about. In this instance however, it is clear you have no understanding at all.:(

ironbutt57
18th Dec 2002, 06:49
Rumblings in the pilot group at UAL have been along the same lines...good first-hand info....would definately be an interesting scenario for sure...and make lots of sense

411A
18th Dec 2002, 06:53
Actually jtr, this scenario was suggested recently by a UAL 777 Captain who has applied for early retirement. He mentioned that the company was encourging this as a way to reduce pilot numbers...and some of these guys are casting their eyes westward toward Asia as a way to keep flying.
A similar situation developed in the middle east years ago when Braniff went bust...and a lot of very qualified guys appeared on the doorstep.
Your cushy job in HKG just may not be so secure as you think.;)

reliefer
18th Dec 2002, 15:35
Not to burst any bubbles here, but this would never happen. Current flight crew staffing "plans" do not include many "old school Americans" joing the club. Not that I would care either way, but more Asians in the company, if possible, is the current prefered scenario.

Those of you currently in the Fragrant Harbour, should know this.
Please also don't forgett, retirement age here is 55.

jtr
18th Dec 2002, 23:40
Thanks for your helpful post 411A, it is now clear to me that as soon as 1 or 2 minor details such as

1) Cathay changing their recruitment opinions about (militant) Nth Americans
2) The retirement age being changed
3) Finding people that actually want to come to Cathay
4)The good ol' boys sorting out sitting the HKATPL bridging course/exam
5)Finding enough guys who want to fill in the bottom half of the seniority list (the upper end will take whatever is shoved at them, and smile), and then having them deal with "The way we do things in Cathay"

then I am toast!

Personally, if I were the new Director Flight Operations, about to swing into power on the 1st Jan, I would be all over it. We get 2-300 UA type qualified guys, with 4 or so years left, bring them over. Even if we p!ss them off after 18 months (bidline you say, whats that?) and they all decide to go home collectively 2 years early, we still have the mongolian goat herders to crew the a/c. Oh that's right, they wouldn't dare **** on us, they still have 2 years left on $140k US.

You're right, I should be crapping myself!

Thanks for the heads-up

BusyB
18th Dec 2002, 23:43
Got to laugh really, Ironbutt and 411A, both with a pathological hatred of pilots working for big carriers trying to stir. 411A, you're such a considerate soul, why haven't you offered all the United guys jobs with your outfit, Oh I forgot you're so embarrassed by it that you won't even admit its name on this forum yet you will happily go for named carriers.

Blue Eagle, Why don't you just put a sticky at the top telling all that 411A and Ironbutt automatically slang CX and United.

411A
19th Dec 2002, 01:07
Actually BusyB, we have six applications from UAL guys now, and am interviewing one on Friday for the Chief Pilot position, Continental guys as well.
We offer five year contracts, renewable, four months on, one month off, business class paid to destination/domicle.
Seven widebody aircraft initially, more to follow later.

Expect yanks to be knocking on the CX door in the not too distant future and who knows, maybe DE Captain positions might suddenly become available.

Stranger things have happened.

christep
19th Dec 2002, 05:21
As an interested outsider (i.e. one of the Diamond coloured SLF who pays the wages) I am more than a little concerned if jtr's comment:

we still have the mongolian goat herders to crew the a/c

is a reflection of the typical attitude of the ethnically European flight crew towards their ethnically Asian colleagues. This surely cannot be good for CRM and hence flight safety.

ironbutt57
19th Dec 2002, 05:58
Militant Americans?...wrong continent, wrong hemisphere dude!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jtr
19th Dec 2002, 12:36
IB57, just my impression of the attitude that seems rather prevalent in certain members of the crew.

christep, you have incorrectly interpreted my statement. I was poking fun at Cathay' s occaisional attempts to intimidate with "recruiting drives" in various places.
Nice to hear from you again, perhaps you could take the time to respond to my post from jet blast re CX CC a while back.....

"christep, a quick glance at the FTL changes since 97 would be the first example, there are others if you choose to banter off topic about it.

If you find yourself trying to recall what FTL's are, then perhaps you are not in a position to be commenting.

There is a lot more to flight safety than what you see while strapped into 3C sipping the '94 Lynch Bages"

411A
19th Dec 2002, 13:47
Would appear that by asking rather probing questions...christep has upset just a few neatly packed apple carts.

Still looks like the AOA has learned few lessons over the last year...:rolleyes:

BlueEagle
19th Dec 2002, 21:20
No, I don't think any applecarts have been upset by christep , he just missed the point that jtr was making, (in fact a joke for fellow CX pilots), and for reasons best known to himself threw in the 'race' card.

In fact there is no racial issue here so please let us not get diverted, everyone! The topic is about the possibility of (ex) UAL pilots being able to come to CX and easily slot in to any vacancies that may exist, (or not easily slot in, as the case may be!).

Thank you. BlueEagle - Moderator.

christep
20th Dec 2002, 01:05
Fair enough - it seems clear that I interpreted the comment the wrong way, and I apologise for that.

I did not randomly "throw in the race card" - at first sight the comment seemed to me to be racist, and I still maintain it is open to that interpretation, particularly by those unaware of the CX recruitment initiatives.

I guess this shows how easily false perceptions can be propagated in public forums such as these.

BusyB
20th Dec 2002, 02:03
411A, I stand corrected if you really have offered more than 1 UAL pilot a job. However, you're still very protective about the name of your airline! What is it ?

As far as this thread goes the only foundation I can find for it is the speculated order of 6 A300-600F for Air Hong Kong. As 1 A300 is already wetleased I suppose there is a possibility of recruitment for those. All the other thoughts I'd put down as dreams!

411A
20th Dec 2002, 21:47
BusyB

Ours is a privately held company, so no requirement to give details but, do a search on the internet and you will find the answer.
Key word...Lockheed.

boofta
24th Dec 2002, 22:19
North Americans are the problem, certainly more of them are
not the solution in CX. The management deficiences in both
the AOA and company are becoming more glaring daily. You
busy for the next few years 411A?

411A
25th Dec 2002, 00:50
Ah...yes, boofta, will be occupied keeping our guys on the same page of the music. :rolleyes:

reliefer
28th Dec 2002, 16:32
I am not aware of any truth to the story that we are interviewing a new CP from United.

I HIGHLY doubt it.

411A
28th Dec 2002, 22:47
Actually Dan B, we had to change to the DC10 because of customer requirements. Local guys will/are being hired for line pilots, expats for training/checking and for operations that require US citizenship...in addition to another contract in Africa.
Fifteen local crews initially...only three expat crews required at the moment.
Next question?
Forgot to add, the local guys will be 4 on one off as well, and will expect them to be available for all flights during their four months on, up to the legal limitations.

HotDog
29th Dec 2002, 00:11
we had to change to the DC10 because of customer requirements

BA isn't going to like that, he was dead against the DC-10 when we were buying our first wide body aircraft.

411A
29th Dec 2002, 04:17
Unfortunately Dan, we had to postpone the hiring due to the aeroplane change...just as well as lease rates have fallen dramatically.
And, oddly enough, you can still find the details under Lockheed (TriStar).

Could be right HotDog, but on the other hand, if we wave enough cash in his direction, expect he'll change his mind...knowing what a mercenary he is...:rolleyes: