PDA

View Full Version : St Lucia - GA flying?

Flying Lawyer
17th Dec 2002, 14:34
Can anyone please recommend, or help me find, a flight school at Castries [SLU]?
I can't find any flight school websites, and Paradise Helicopters has closed.
I'll be in St Lucia 29 Dec - 5 Jan and I'm interested in fixed-wing and/or rotary flying.

Thanks in advance.

Tudor Owen

perceval
17th Dec 2002, 16:06
haven't been there in some times but i dón't think there is one at castries or hewanorra .If you want to fly you might have to approach the charters (helenair or eagle) or order a plane from barbados or Martinique where there is a lot of GA .
Alternatively there might be some private owners .Go to the airport and find out I suppose .Good trip:D :D :D

sandy helmet
18th Dec 2002, 17:59
Tudor

There is another rotary outfit there called St.Lucia Helicopters, but I doubt they would be set up for charter (rentals). Not too sure about what fixed wing St.Lucia has on offer, but alternately, Barbados is 1/2 hour away on a Dash 8 (LIAT or Caribbean Star), and there is the Barbados Light Aeroplane Club.
Just telephone Grantley Adams Internatiopnal Airport PBX @ 246-428-7101, and ask to be put through.
You'll need to bring your PPL with you, validate your licence for a small fee - (Licensing Tel:246-428-4883)
The club operates a C150, C152, PA23, C172, and an Aztec. You'll get a checkout, then they'll turn you loose.
The helicopter operation there isn't available for renting either.
Good luck!

Paul

P.S. I believe the only place you'll find to rent a chopper outside of the French West Indies would be Trinidad; Hummingbird Helicopters. Ask for Capt. Anthony Vieira. They have an Enstrom F28.

Wycombe
22nd Dec 2002, 21:30
Tudor,

I was in St Lucia in November and visited both SLU (for a flight with the aforementioned St Lucia Helicopters) and UVF (where the VS 744 dropped us off and picked us up).

Saw no evidence of any GA outfit at all at UVF, and nowhere that looked like a flying-school or Club/FBO at SLU (this is only based on what I saw around the airfield, didn't make any enquiries).

St Lucia Helicopters have 2 Squirrels (single) and they seemed to be kept pretty busy doing sightseeing flights (which was very good, by the way :)) and transfers from SLU down to UVF and the Jalousie Hilton.

Have a good trip!

Flying Lawyer
28th Dec 2002, 20:52
Thanks for your info and tips.
Looks like my flying will be limited to transfers and the sightseeing trip.
Oh well, you can't have everything. I'll just have to make do with sunbathing, scuba-diving, water-skiing etc!! :D