View Full Version : Flying hours

Cesspit 152
14th Dec 2002, 22:19
Will my Tutor flying hours be converted to civi flying hours 1 for 1 or will the times be different between the two systems?

Many Thanks

A UAS stude :)

AllTrimDoubt
14th Dec 2002, 22:48
Mate, on that thing they ARE civvie flying hours!

BEagle
15th Dec 2002, 06:49
In the military, flying hours are recorded from 'take-off to landing' whereas in civil flying, flight time is from 'chocks away to chocks under' (a simplification of the exact definitions).

The solution is quite simple; buy a civil personal flying logbook and keep a record of all your Tutor flying from chocks away to chocks under in it. You are not legally obliged to record ATD and ATA, just the elapsed chocks-to-chocks time. But do not under any circumstances be tempted to increase those times.....

If you haven't already kept an independent record, an allowance of 10 minutes for every flight in a Tutor would not be unreasonable - that has been acceptable for licence issue in the past. If you are intending to embark upon a civil flying career - or just a PPL or NPPL, I suggest that you get yourself a civil logbook as soon as possible.

Skylark4
15th Dec 2002, 16:59
Alltrimmedoubt.
If your short comment above is just a lighthearted throwaway comment, then fair enough. If you intended it to be taken more seriously then I`ll take issue with you.
It`s not what you fly, but the way you fly it which makes the difference.
Should I log time in, say, a Tiger Moth or a Bulldog as military flying, or , for that matter the T 21 Glider we have at Oxford.
Should BEagle log his time in a VC 10 as Civil.

Mike W

NoseGunner
15th Dec 2002, 18:48
Civil, civil and civil. And Yes. ;)

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Chill:cool:

LOMCEVAK
16th Dec 2002, 12:48
For an aircraft such as the Tutor, the CAA will allow 10 mins per sortie taxi time as BEagle says. However, this must NOT be added to the sortie times when transferring military hours to a civilian logbook. You can only enter what you have put in your military logbook, although you can, as stated in a previous post, log chock-to-chock time in a civilian log book simultaneously with take-off and landing times in a military one. Get your UAS boss to sign a letter/self produced form that notes how many military sorties you have flown and how many hours taxi time this equates to. Keep a copy of it in your logbook then produce it as required.

Out of interest, the allowance is 15 mins per sortie in a transport type aircraft, 10 mins for fast-jets and single pilot trainers and 5 mins for display sorties! I went through this with FCL when I left the RAF 3 years ago and this was the official word. Good luck.

Cesspit 152
17th Dec 2002, 17:48
Thanks for the many & detailed replies. For the record I'm a PPL holder just wondering how the hours came out for the Tutor flying I'm doing with my UAS, but all being well my PPL will be something on the side of a career in the services. - Thats providing the tiny pilot bursary keeps me in food through uni, might starve before I'm through :( a consequence of too much flying & not enough saving for uni.

Many Thanks

UAS Stude