PDA

View Full Version : Medical Forum Moderators

Sick Squid
14th Dec 2002, 19:25
Folks...

A warm welcome to Hawk and Min, who are joining the moderating team on the PPRuNe website as moderators in the Medical forum. Both work in the medical profession, and have kindly agreed to bring their experience on board.

Their role in here will be primarily one of monitoring, but also providing information/education where applicable; it must be emphasised however, that ALL advice received in this forum, from whatever source MUST be backed up by a clinical opinion provided by a state registered health professional or where applicable, aviation medical examiner.

Sick Squid
PPRuNe Forums Moderator/Administrator

Background Noise
17th Dec 2002, 19:18
Excellent news. Although I fully appreciate that the mods won't give professional advice (and I understand why and fully agree with that position) I do hope they will step in ocassionally when duff (even misleading) advice is being given out by others. There was a question here some time ago about something which may or may not have been a condition not unlike tennis elbow and there followed all sorts of advice on treatments, some fairly serious. The best advice, from HugMistress I think, was to go and see the doctor!

Thanks chaps/chapesses for giving your time.

gingernut
19th Dec 2002, 15:49
Fantastic !! But do AME's/GP's give any less duff (and misleading) advice than other contributors?

I'm fit and healthy because of my wheely bin, clean water and schoolboy jabs, no thanks to the medical boys club !

(Didn't the mortality rate drop when the American medics went on strike.)

To be taken with a large dose of salt, good luck, but please don't let it go to your head, the non medical opinions provide a little entertainment in this dull wintry world .

min
22nd Dec 2002, 13:43
Thanks for that gingernut :) I have read your responses before, and I hope you continue to offer the good advice/info/opinions you have in the past.

I'm an RN, not a GP/AME, and despite confidence in my own abilities, the best advice is still always to consult a Dr when in doubt. Having said that, sharing experience with others in similar situations is often helpful as well. Everyone just needs to use some commonsense and good judgement :)

M.

mad_jock
2nd Jan 2003, 14:34
Unless a limb was actually hanging off i think i would still preffer the opinion of an experenced nurse before subjecting myself to the hands of a doctor.

Now you have been promoted min, does this mean your going to stop running your dating agency for visting pilots with your single nursy m8's ;)

MJ

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Jan 2003, 15:04
Unless a limb was actually hanging off i think i would still preffer the opinion of an experenced nurse before subjecting myself to the hands of a doctor

[red rag to bull] Sigh. Well, what can one do? I can name you experienced doctors I wouldn't see if they were the last medical person left on earth. I can name you experienced nurses I wouldn't see if they were the last medical person left on earth.

The peril in any situation is to adopt a fiercely prejudiced, dogmatic position. [/red rag to bull]

There's some good stuff in this forum, but given the caveats expressed in this thread, one wonders why it is here at all.

QDM

axiom
6th Jan 2003, 04:23
Is this post for medico's and nurses or can a pissant pilot like me with a problem ask/solicit some sort of opinion to quell my innermost fears.

Only last week, a thread on anxiety was taken off this post and I was possibly one of the last posters.

My question related to stress/anxiety and should be discussed as a safety issue at least.

Threre is a fine line between sanity and madness and if someone in the medical or related fraternity cannot or will not commit themselves to a rational debate, then what is the purpose of this forum ?

Perhaps it is just a new year and we clean out the pre 2003 pages.

We all live with stress in one way or another, how we respond is what separates us from the primates.

If nobody wants to talk about this, perhaps we should have a "shrinks" forum.

gingernut
7th Jan 2003, 10:06
Try reposting the question. Apparently the post starter is able to delete the thread if he or she so desires.