PDA

View Full Version : A Brit with a Canadian license wishing to fly in NZ....

SpinSpinSugar
14th Dec 2002, 14:45
What an eclectic combination :D

Anyways, I'd be grateful if anyone on here could enlighten me as to whether I need any sort of conversion to use a Canadian PPL in NZ (primarily just hour building and touristy scenic flights).

Also, in particular, how would any endorsements fare? (I'm thinking principally my night and multi ratings). I'd be keen to do some multi flying during a visit to NZ next year if at all possible.

Thanks for any replies, and also any recommendations of good flight schools / airfields / places to visit for us johnny foreigners.

Cheers,

SSS

fluffyduck
15th Dec 2002, 05:13
As long as your Canadian licence is current (ie medical, BFR etc) all you have to do is a BFR with a NZ B or A category instructor. Expect a flight time of 1 - 1.5 hours, as well as ground time. Then send $60 to CAA and they'll send you a NZ PPL. Night and Multi endorsements should still be valid - talk to an instructor about conditions - as long as you've done 3 take offs and landings in a multi aircraft, and by night before you carry passengers.

If you're here in summer try to fly around the Coromandel Peninsula and out to Great Barrier Island - great beaches in walking distance from the airfields.

Hope you have a great time while you're here.

Happy flying.

Sharfted Groundhog
16th Dec 2002, 18:37
You might have to do a NZ Law exam. If your just flying yourself around, it'll just be PPL Law.

My advice would be to get hold of Aviation Services Ltd (who do exams) or a guy named Michael Tucker at the NZ CAA. He's a bit of a grumpy old dude, but he's in charge of licensing. If he's not around, ask for Liz - she's pretty cool and very helpful. Their website is www.caa.govt.nz and from there you should be able to find their email / phone numbers. Either one of those two should be able to tell you exactly what you need with no doubts at all.

Have fun - and stay safe! NZ is an excellent place to fly around in the summer as long as you know how to read maps and weather forecasts! :D

SpinSpinSugar
18th Dec 2002, 13:04
Thanks for the info, I shall look into the sources you've suggested, see what I can find out.

What's the aviation employment scene like down there at the mo, similar to Australia?

Cheers!

SSS

Sharfted Groundhog
18th Dec 2002, 19:03
Overall; a bit slow and crappy! There may be some movement in the early New Year with Air NZ employing (possibly) which will move everyone up the food chain a bit...... Still, there are a lot of unemployed experienced pilots on the scene - as the case is worldwide. With so many airlines laying off pilots, I don't think it's very good anywhere!

Take your chances, I suppose.

Ultralights
22nd Dec 2002, 06:24
A brit with a Canadian Licence, wishing to exercise it in NZ, that should keep CASA on bogged down for a few months!

nzer
26th Dec 2002, 17:38
There are no problems getting recognition from NZCA of an ICAO PPL, no Law exams or such like - just a requirement to be "briefed" by an NZ Instructor and do a BFR. CAANZ very obliging/helpful.
Have fun