PDA

View Full Version : British Midland - congratulations... but there are no jobs!

Floaty
13th Dec 2002, 20:59
Hi there Ppruners!

Just wanted to quickly let you know that even if British Midland are currently running interviews for cabin crew, they seem to have a bit of confusion going on... i.e no position to offer to their successful candidates...

Myself and other 5 people recently got selected for january or february training (this is what they said during the group interview) but this week myself and 3 of my "future colleagues" received exactly the same letter: congratulations, however there are no opportunities in your chosen base (which THEY suggested saying they were currently hiring for that base).

Don't know if it is usual or a lack of luck but this is already the second company acting like this... the other being SWISS. :mad:

I don't want two half jobs! I just need a REAL ONE!!

Mrs. FloatJockey

MaxMet
13th Dec 2002, 21:43
Floaty

You say that you need a real job .

Then don't bother being Cabin Crew.

Example

Customer Related Positions

Astraeus (and many more airlines)
Cabin Crew
£8500 per annum basic

London Underground
Station Assistant
£18500 per annum basic

If you need a real job check

worktrain.gov.uk

Good luck

nickmelb
14th Dec 2002, 03:26
hey floaty!

got ur sms this morning was very excited for u!

At least u made it thru to final rounds! hang in there im sure it will come up

keep me posted girl!:p :p :p

Eggbert Nobacon
15th Dec 2002, 13:38
Hi floaty.

I have also just been accepted with BMI, but to be told there are no vacancies at present.

In the interview, they said their is positions available and training will probably start in March.

I do hope they will be vacancies soon, otherwise we will have to attend another interview in 6 months.

Tiger
15th Dec 2002, 18:00
Don`t do it! Honest....I`m not joking. I was at that company for way too many years and your treated like ****. I have told many and they don`t believe.....few months later they are leaving, and telling me "Oh Tiger I wish I`d listened to you".

See another airline board and see what I mean.

Floaty
15th Dec 2002, 21:48
Eggbert, I know what you mean... :( When we left the interview room and the recruiters told us "you made it!", I could not understand.... Yes I made it to round II but this usually means there will be another screening and probabily only a few will receive an offer... in our case, we ALL got the same letter... very unusual... it looks more like they froze recruitment after stage one and will eventually pick who they really want when an opportunity arises... and everyone keeps waiting and waiting....... bah! This industry is very weird...

Tiger, thanks for your comments, however I would like to receive more details... I understand in every company there are people unhappy with rosters, management, colleagues, rules, whatever... but saying "they treat you like ****" means not much to me. :confused: Could you please be more specific? If you do not wish to expose your concern officially, would you please send me a private message? I'm not jokeing, I really want to check both sides of the coin... for me choosing the right airline is very important as I do not have many years in front of me to make up my mind. Ta!

Mrs. FloatJockey

p.s. Max Met, your comment deserves no comment...:rolleyes:

Tiger
16th Dec 2002, 13:45
check your PM.

I have also heard that they took on cabin crew last year on temp. contracts. End of their contracts layed off then offered their jobs back...on temp contract again. Although usual for charter airlines, the time gap between the two dates, end and restart was something like 3 weeks.

london-flyer
16th Dec 2002, 17:31
I must agree with earlier comments, it was the worst 9 months of my 8 years flying. The crew love ranks, being out ranked over crew meals, and working positions, like it matter on a A320.!!! Very disorganised, a lot ( not all ) stuck up crew, with 5 sector days, 6 on 2 off and back in again for 6 on, some o.k trips, 4 days in MAD but flying at 6 am every morning!!!!! Money ok for Main crew, but lost a lot of night stops, and I found a very hard bunch of people to crack. I was charter for many years before, but had flown for BA prior to that so was aware of boTh sides of the coin, and could not belive the attitude some of them ( nearly all ) had towards charter airlines. Bearing in mind they do charter flights from LHR and other bases too.
Left after 9 months of hell, and can honestly say, it was the best thing I have ever done.

However, my best friend enjoys it,she feels like every where, it has good and bad to it. But she can be a bitch too. Maybe thats why shes ok. not sure!

;)

Floaty
16th Dec 2002, 21:56
Thanks Tiger and London-flyer...

I had the feeling during the interview that the ladies where eeeehhhhh.... a bit up their thinggy :D
Salary is higher than the one you used to receive Tiger!! Now they offer base 12'000 pa incl LHR extra. Don't know what exactly goes on top of that...

If I don't find anything better... I take it then judge for myself!

Ta!

Mrs. FloatJockey

p.s. Gotta meet your friend L-F ... we've got something in common! ;)

Eggbert Nobacon
17th Dec 2002, 15:15
Floaty, I am on the waiting list for bmibaby not main bmi.

After making it through stage 1, we all then had a 2:1 interview. I recieved the " you have been successful " letter, but no vacancies at present.

Did you actually have an interview floaty after stage 1.

Thanks for info on bmi, hopefully bmibaby will be more friendly :)

Floaty
19th Dec 2002, 17:26
Yes Eggbert, I had a panel interview the same day.

I asked about bmibaby. They said they interview separately and usually do not offer positions within bmi to bmibaby applicants and vice-versa.
Recruitment is effected by the same people by the way. In my case, recruiters were S. and B. Not relevant I guess...

I contacted another candidate few days ago, she said she got told during the panel interview that positions would be available for training around March... let's hope she is right!

In the meantime, my suggestion is to keep hunting for jobs and take it easy! Someone up there keeps an eye on us... time will tell... :)

Mrs. FloatJockey

Tiger
20th Dec 2002, 21:22
Out of interest, are bmi still getting crews to learn word for word that emergency PA?

I heard that new crews were being sent it out to learn as pre-course work.

If you have never been cabin crew before, how on earth do you know/understand what its all about?!! Another stupid idea!