PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate frequent flyer miles grab?

Memetic
13th Dec 2002, 14:23
This story is doing the rounds on the net, can anyone beat this guy for a milage grab?

http://www.flyertalk.com/pudding.htm

FJJP
16th Dec 2002, 19:58
Yeah - I can beat that. British military personnel transitting on civil airlines usually use BA as the national carrier. MOD also negotiated discounts since they put a lot of trade BA's way. BA were happy with the arrangement and frequent fliers were awarded air miles. The the MOD got wind of that fact and demanded that BA stopped issuing frequent flyer air miles to military personnel travelling on duty. They demanded that the air miles should be offset against future duty flights.

Nice one. If you have accumulated enough travel to qualify for frequent flyer air miles, it meant that you were away from your family for substantial periods of time. I kinda took the sting out of it a bit knowing that at the end you would be able to take the missus off on holiday without it costing you an arm and a leg. Great morale boosting venture.

PAXboy
16th Dec 2002, 22:05
Well, we all know that MoD staff get paid far too much, so I am really glad that the powers that be understood that we need value for money as Maggie, no Tony, says. :rolleyes:

I am sure that the top brass that have their own cars and personal exec jets took a suitable cut in salary to balance out...

knobbygb
20th Dec 2002, 08:39
That guy is a man after my own heart. There's very little I won't do for AirMiles, although I can't better his exploits. Recently bought 24 bags of coffee at Tesco for £60 and got enough AirMiles for 2 flights to Nice and last year I bought nearly 200 bottles of wine off them for £750 and went to Los Angeles in First - but thats about my limit. Now eagerly awaiting the next offer - "Sell your Granny for 10,000 Miles". :cool: