PDA

View Full Version : QF A330 200 v 300

737 guru
12th Dec 2002, 23:32
Can someone out there tell me if the following is true?

They tell me that the A330-200 series aircraft is equipped with the capacity for fuel in the vertical stab and the 300 is not!

The reason i'm asking is that it is my belief that to re-fuel a 200 series you have to fill the tail first then the centre and wings, which when considering that QF are going to use these aircraft for domestic duties it seems a bit odd to be carrying so much fuel around.

Apparently when Airbus were quizzed on this the reply was in a positive way "Ohh well it just means that you only have to fill it once a day, in the morning"

There is also talk that marketing/ops may have stuffed up by not using the greater range of the 200 aircraft on the international routes.

:( :( :(

cyclops camel
12th Dec 2002, 23:42
Fuel only starts filling the tail trim tank after 36500 kg is already in the wings. Av fuel burn at higher gross weights 6000 kg/hr. So unlikely you'll see any fuel in the trim for domestic sectors.

Center tank is never used in our long haul ops. The only time I've ever had fuel in the center was when picking up a new aircraft for delivery from Toulouse. Airbus throw in the fuel for free so we filled it to the gunnels (actually max landing weight on arrival here). After the seven hour flight we still had almost enough to reach Sydney - another 13 hours away!

:cool:

fartsock
13th Dec 2002, 02:04
G'Day,

-200 series is the long range version. Having said that QF has it configured for domestic only ops (no t/c rest only 1.5 galleys ect).

-300 will be coming with business class sleeper seats and will do aust-hkg, aust-japan from jul-aug 03.

The -300 does not have a CWT

The aircrafts fuel management system pumps gas in cruise to the stab tank ino order to minimise drag. FBW takes care of the C of G calculations

rgs

FS

airsupport
15th Dec 2002, 04:12
I take it that you mean in the horizontal stab, not the vertical stab? :confused:

In which case, it sounds like a very similar system to the A300-600R. :D

Zeke
15th Dec 2002, 10:06
Apparently when Airbus were quizzed on this the reply was in a positive way "Ohh well it just means that you only have to fill it once a day, in the morning"

Total B/S

cyclops camel & fartsock are correct