PDA

View Full Version : Naips

dogcharlietree
12th Dec 2002, 22:11
Hi Guys,
Is it just me (and don't answer yes) but are other users of NAIPS finding that the system is not really improving.
The number of times I have phoned them and emailed them over problems all with the promise of "We'll get back to you".
Waiting. Waiting. Always waiting.

Islander Jock
12th Dec 2002, 23:52
dogcharlietree,

Can you elaborate on what you see are the areas that need improving? From my experience, provided I can get somewhere that has a connection, the system provides everything I need.

It's certainly a vast improvement on ASA's first attempt at a NAIPS online briefing system about 3 or 4 years ago which was a direct dial system operating through the Windows Terminal screen. No GUI, no editing details, make one mistake and start over. But it all had to start somewhere and for my money I'd say ASA haven't done a bad job.

dogcharlietree
13th Dec 2002, 12:20
It could be just me and my setup, but here are some of the problems I find;
1) Can't start NAIPS with page maximized (no big deal).
2) On Notification - Domestic;
a) Aircraft profile - will not save remarks ie NON RVSM
b) Add a stage - have to import aircraft again
c) In the Sectors section, when you insert ATS Route, you then cannot TAB across to Significant Point. TAB takes you to Item 18, REG.
3) Both the File - Print currently displayed briefing and the Icon for the same printing are both inoperative. I find I have to go to the Display/Print all session briefings Icon to be able to print anything.
4) To print just one chart, say MSL 81200 you still need 2 pieces of paper, one for the huge heading and one for the chart.
5) Charts are not aligned the same way. ie the MSL chart will print one way and say the GFP 81220 will print orientated the other way - upside down.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST - everytime I close the NAIPS window, it disconnects me from the 'net.

Some of these problems have only arisen with the latest version 3.0.2, but what I'm narked about is, it seems very little testing is done and more significantly, as I said previously, nobody gets back to me to offer solutions.

VH-AJC
13th Dec 2002, 20:30
dogcharlietree,

i found the same thing with v 3.0.2 in regards to the disconnecting problem. fired an email off to ASA and got a reply saying it was a known bug which they were attempting to fix. the offered to send v3.0.1 out to me on a cd as it is not available to download anymore to use in the meanwhile.

libelle
16th Dec 2002, 05:45
dogcharlietree,

Don't know who in airservices you advised but i found a number of problems and emailed them and had a quick response.
The aircraft profile issues will be fixed in the new year.as for the printing problems and disconnect I was told soon?? about 2 weeks ago, but i guess after xmas.
In the ats route i think that the TAB only takes the cursor to the next field, within a field the arrow keys are the one, works for me anyway.
Overall I think NAIPS is a pretty good system, I agree they should get it right before releasing new versions.

Azimuth
16th Dec 2002, 05:54
I really only use NAIPS to view the weather and to lodge a VFR flight plan occasionally, but I have had nothing to complain about yet.

dogcharlietree
16th Dec 2002, 09:31
I guess that I thought that they would produce a Beta version and give it to a select cross-section of pilots, ie, airline, charter both piston and jet and GA. We could test it and report the bugs prior to public release.
Also forums like this where we could list the bugs and their boffins could respond.

An old aviator friend of mine once said; "common sense ain't so common these days". How true.

Capt Claret
16th Dec 2002, 21:35
DCT,

Re printing charts, try selecting the Hi Res check box. Doing so has resolved the two pages for a chart issue for me, despite AsA telling me that 'normal' res charts should print properly with ver 3.0.2

I have also noted that the 'print current brf' icon no longer prints anything! :rolleyes:

And people knock Microsoft!

dogcharlietree
18th Dec 2002, 10:48
Thanks guys. Obviously the problems are not just mine.
Is anybody else having problems with NAIPS disconnecting them. (Apart from VH-AJC)
I can log-off NAIPS OK. Internet still running.
But if I close NAIPS program, it disconnects me from the internet.

Capt Claret
18th Dec 2002, 21:35
DCT, noticed the same thing - bumped from the net - the other day but didn't work out what was happening until reading your post.

libelle
18th Dec 2002, 22:12
I have emailed Airservices about the Internet disconnect and printing problems, the response was " the software has been fixed and is awaiting testing, should be done early in the new year and will be released on Airservices website then".

I was offered a CD of the previous version which does not have these problems to use if I wanted it, but I can live with the problems for a little longer as my home Internet connection is cable which is ok and it only effects my laptop.

I hope the testing and software development is done better this time around and has no new unwanted features.

libelle
18th Dec 2002, 23:27
The address to email Airservices if you have any issues with their services is:

[email protected]

I have found that you get a response within a couple of working days.

Funny how Airservices is now .COM not .GOV, does this mean that they are no longer owned by the government???

ITCZ
21st Dec 2002, 06:19
The story of NAIPS pilot access should be an embarrasment to AsA and its 'IT professionals'.

First, the introduction of a 1970's style VT220 terminal emulation IN NINETEEN NINETY FIVE!!! should have told the pilot world that AsA were just not interested in providing any sort of service.

My pre-CPL career was as a "Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider" and approved VAX, VMS, MVS (thats mainframe and mini for those of you born after 1975) and Oracle trainer, and I couldn't believe that AsA were putting forward a Model T user interface when the only commercial software that was selling on any platform had to have a GUI (WYSIWYG!).

No error trapping, a most user unfriendly interface, and a method of comms (terminal emulation) that very few PC users would have even known was available in a Windows 3.1 or Win 95 PC.

Surprisingly :rolleyes:, nobody used it!

Finally, a Brisbane Centre operations officer (FSO or ATC, I can't remember) decides to build a Windows interface for NAIPS based on Internet Explorer 3 IN HIS OWN TIME!!! to gain credit points for his university degree program.

Well done, that man:cool:!

His excellent first 'commercial' application is jumped on and accepted by so many pilots, that the 'professional' IT people in AsA are grudgingly forced to take an interest in NAIPS for Windows.

Thank god for the efforts of a professional fso/atco who showed AsA what was required.

Now, where are the Linux and Mac OS versions?

ITCZ

Hugh Jarse
21st Dec 2002, 06:46
Air(dis)Services should have them released V1.0 by October 2030. :eek:

The Windows version is still a pain in the @rse. Every release has a new bug that we have to work around. :mad:

Thank God it's free because I'd be asking for my money back :mad:

Not Actually Intended to Provide a Service

Islander Jock
22nd Dec 2002, 10:10
I have emailed Airservices about the Internet disconnect and printing problems, the response was " the software has been fixed and is awaiting testing, should be done early in the new year and will be released on Airservices website then".

Read,

"We are all going on Christmas leave and will worry about it when we get back."

Icarus2001
22nd Dec 2002, 20:30
I use the system at work with no major problems but discovered an interesting flaw at home.

My home PC does not have a printer as I do my printing at work. I installed NAIPS no problem but when I try to open the application I receive an error message saying that at least one printer must be installed, then the application closes.

Not much use if you want to save trees. It should be possible to enter a FPL without having a printer.

Islander Jock
23rd Dec 2002, 11:38
Hey Icarus,

My home PC does not have a printer as I do my printing at work

You must have a very understanding and generous employer :D

Bellthorpe
24th Dec 2002, 03:45
I still have the install file for 3.01, which I will email to anyone who emails me asking for it.

Hugh Jarse
24th Dec 2002, 05:15
One bug is that "print the current displayed briefing" doesn't work on any of the company (or my home PC).

It did on the previous version.......:mad:

criticalmass
26th Dec 2002, 02:45
Only use NAIPS for the weather, print it, reverse paper, goto BoM site, get printable version of prognosis chart, print oin reverse side of NAIPS forecast, then logout of NAIPS...somehow I manage to remain connected, prolly 'cos I'm using an earlier version of NAIPS.

Would love to see a Linux version (ASA pls take note!)

"Be not the first by whom the new is tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside."

Ascend Charlie
7th Jan 2003, 21:36
In the aviation community, what is the proportion of Mac users to Windows users?

I sent AsA an email asking if a Mac version of NAIPS was available. Short answer - NO. But, surprisingly, a few weeks later, I got one from them asking what versions of Mac OS people were using. How the hell do I know?

I assumed that the situation was a bit like the Windows community, where there are huge numbers still running Win 95, more on 98, and all new ones on 2000. So, I told them that new Macs run OS/X and the rest are on 9point something.

They said that they could implement OS/X easily, but not if the majority are still on 9. I suggested that having X running now will pick everybody up eventually.

Still waiting for the Mac Naips to appear, my face is getting pretty blue.

:(

omni
29th Oct 2003, 17:38
This was on the ASA web site for new user NAIPS access program, free to download.

NEW RELEASE (3.3.0) - 28 October 2003

Address is:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/brief/index.htm

swh
29th Oct 2003, 18:15
I have used the new version 3.3.0, the disconnecting on closure bug has been fixed.

dogcharlietree
30th Oct 2003, 06:43
Only used the new version a couple of times and so far all bugs seem to have been fixed.
Thanks to all involved. :ok: