PDA

View Full Version : buying multi-time stateside

kevcookie
5th Oct 2001, 19:12
can anyone offer any advice on this subject. Hopefully by May-April 2001 I would have secured JAA CPL/IR. In the current climate the chance of securing employment realistically will be tough. However perhaps buying experience will increase my chances of landing that first job.
Anyone out with any experience of such schemes. ALL ADVICE WELCOMED. regards

A Very Civil Pilot
5th Oct 2001, 22:29
If you're going to buy time, make it count i.e multi, night, I.R (preferably all at once). Or else make it pay by doing an instructors rating.

slim_slag
6th Oct 2001, 00:41
It has been known for a group of people to come over to the US and purchase a beat up Comanche, put several hundred hours on it, sell it and go home. Play your cards right and with a bit of luck you may only end up paying for fuel and oil. Well, probably a lot of luck :)

I don't know any real details, maybe it's just hangar talk, but it might be a cheap option. I can see issues with a non US person owning an N-reg, and there might be risks like buying a lemon or something that needs hidden work doing on it. Insurance could be an issue, but there is no rule here which says you should be insured :(.

If you get a partner you both log time if one is a CFI, or one is under the hood and the other safety pilot. Well you can under FAA regs, not sure about other jurisdictions.

Just a thought.

foghorn
6th Oct 2001, 17:34
Just to confirm under JAR in single pilot ops only one person can log P1 (except in succesful flight tests when the candidate logs P1US and the examiner P1).

However when in the US operating under their regs you could quite legally log as mentioned. I'm not sure if the time would count towards a JAR licence issue, however it would count towards your TT and P1 totals on your CV!