View Full Version : can non uk pilots fly for the raf/royal navy/army

cortilla
12th Dec 2002, 11:37
a friend of mine recently told me that seeing as we are all nato countries, non british pilots (but in nato/eu) can fly the armed forces. i found it hard to believe because you have to swear fealty to the crown etc, and not being a british citizen makes it kinda hard. is it true that non british pilots can fly (or even just be in) the british armed forces. it would be nice if i got real answers, and not guestimates cheers:confused:

fidae
12th Dec 2002, 11:50
NATO exchange pilots fly in RAF aircraft, they also deploy on operations with the RAF, in this case, countries may not allow their exchange pilots to serve in certain theatres. In a different case, on some squadrons we have non-Uk nationals serving as RAF officers. The only aircrew I have come across come from Commonwealth nations. In this case their goveenment has no say over where they serve.

cortilla
12th Dec 2002, 14:08
thanks for the quick answer. just a quick attachment to the question then. can you as a non british citizen civilian turn up at a recruitment office and say 'hi i'd like to join the raf please, where do i sign up'

ORAC
12th Dec 2002, 16:32
Entry is open to citizens of the UK, Ireland or of Commonwealth countries.

I don't know what would happen if someone of another EU country applied, it might force a rethink in light of EU regulations. I believe there is a case of an RAF pilot, having done an exchange tour, joining the RNLAF. The only problem might be security clearance, but if they can overcome that for anyone from the Commonwealth Europe shouldn't be a problem!!

solotk
13th Dec 2002, 14:08
I think you'd better check with the recruiting office Cortilla, because the rules are changing all the time.

I know we currently have a CORSICAN going through his security checks, and we certainly have had a non-UK national in before.

Ask the recruiting bods, that's what they're there for.

Best of luck

Pub User
13th Dec 2002, 16:38
cortilla

I know a Canadian, several New Zealanders and South Africans, and a Southern Irishman currently serving in the RAF. Where are you from?

cortilla
16th Dec 2002, 10:01
me i'm belgian. i was just curious to see whether you could or not. i don't think i could get in anyways, 6ft2 might be a bit tall for a jet, and i've already got a cpl/ir. but hey wouldn't that be fun, a belgian in raf

solotk
16th Dec 2002, 20:26
Wouldn't be the first time..... Good luck :D

rollrollroll
16th Dec 2002, 22:13
Speaking about that, can anyone tell me is there any policy for non NATO, EU or Commonwealth countries.
Just interested.

cortilla
18th Dec 2002, 10:55
yeah but last time my countrymen (as far as I know) were in the raf was when europe was at war, and the raf desperately short of pilots. hmmmm maybe i should apply in a few months then??