PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew Recruitment

gps117
12th Dec 2002, 09:47
Hi,

Well this is my first post and im going to be really cheecky and ask for your generous help!

Basically i want to be cc, and after some general advice on what airlines are good, what are bad, what do they look for apart from customer service skills

would really love emirates so do they take on male crew as well as female, arevirgin as bad as people make out.

i realise its a very tough area to break into and im under no illusion that i will be cc within a week but any help from those on the inside would be great

thanx

gps117 :p ;) :p

AViON calling!!
12th Dec 2002, 13:25
Hi there and good luck in you pursuit of the most fabulous career in the world.

I think everyone would agree with me that this is usually not a job you just walk in to as the recruitment process can be extremely competitive, tough and at times stressful, but on the other hand I know many people who have been successful first time round (as I was). If you have the passion, dedication and patience you will get there.

In this day and age there are so many options for you, especially in the UK, such as regional, short haul, long haul, full service versus low cost, and generally every airline looks for different qualities in their Cabin Crew. Obviously a good background in customer service is beneficial however I have worked with many crew with other backgrounds, such as nursing, teaching, police force and some straight out of college where this is their first job.

Personally the most important quality they look for is first impressions. When you walk into the interview they want you to light up the room so to speak. Generally, and this is only through my experience, the interviewers will know in the first few minutes if you will be suitable to move on to the next stage. I am now with my 4th airline and have been through 5 airline interviews and have only been asked once for my CV. They learn so much more about you from talking with you instead of reading it all on paper.
They will usually do a reference check from at least 2 previous employers and in Australia we are required to have a criminal background check done at our expense, and a medical including drug testing, also at our expence however this may differ from the UK.

Many interviews now are done in groups which I hate, but if you know the way to handle them you will be ok. All I can say is don't be too vocal and take over the table, include the other candidates is tasks they give you (they are looking for teamwork abilities here), and be interested in what others have to say. This is usually your only opportunity to promote yourself so participate in discussions fairly and dont have the attitude that you are always right. They want to see you have the ability to work problems out with others. Teamwork, Teamwork, Teamwork!!!
Be your self, remember, the people interviewing you have probably seen hundreds or thousands of people in the past and can usually see through false images.

Get youself a senior first aid certificate as this is essential for your application and you should have at least 12 months validity, non conditional passport, even for domestic flying.

I have heard Emirates are always recruiting, and do take foreign males but there is an age restriction. Money is good but flying is hard so I've been told.

Good luck with everything and feel free to ask more.

BIG DICK
12th Dec 2002, 20:24
gps117

I see you are Manchester based. Regardless of what people say on this site and in general, I would reccomend European Aviation Air Charter. Fantastic bunch of crew, both Cabin Crew and Flight Deck. from what is being said they will be recruiting soon.

Regards

gps117
13th Dec 2002, 08:35
wow, thanx for the advice ;-). i ahve my first two applications at home, one for virgin and one for thomas cook airlines, but think i would prefer virgin as m really looking for a permanent contract not seasonal. will look on eaac website today

Lease
13th Dec 2002, 10:18
Hey, this is my first time here as well. Good luck in your pursuit for a cabin crew position, its a great job.

I was also wondering if anyone out there knows if to work of BA or Virgin atlantic you have to have a UK or EU passport? If anyone can help me out with this info that would be great. Also if anyone knows any airlines that are recruiting at present?

Well good luck again and if anyone has any info that would be fantastic.

See Ya Lease

AViON calling!!
13th Dec 2002, 10:39
Hi guys,

Lease, to work for any airline in the UK you must have a current UK or EU passport, that goes with out saying. Also remember what I said, in a previous post it must be unconditional, ie. able to enter any country unrestricted (so if you have done a dodgy tax deal or a crime in another country you may be denied entry). If you only have an AU passport, is your father or grandfather a UK or EU citizen, you may be elegible for one, thats how I got mine.

This website may be of interest to you as you can apply online to various airlines that dont usually advertise.....

www.aviationjobsearch.com

They have a lot of UK based airlines advertising there.

Lease,
You are in Australia and all I know is from what I've heard Australian Airlines will be recruiting language speakers (Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin) early next year. I guess you have to check their website for info, www.australianairlines.com.au

also check www.cabincrew.staffcv.com

They have a list of airlines recruiting here and you just have to submit your CV. Once signed up you can apply to 1 airline free but then pay $20USD to apply for more. I hate paying for something like this but it's worth it. Virgin Blue do their recruitment from here as do a lot of regionals such as Eastern, Sunstate, Qantas NZ etc.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info. I seem to have a wealth of knowledge lately for some reason.