PDA

View Full Version : Britannia cabin crew

Sted
11th Dec 2002, 20:56
Hi
I recently went for a recruitment day at Manchester airport. I was wondering if there were any other people who went to Manchester on the 9th of Dec?

Also this question is to other members of cabin crew, Do you have to undergo a medical examination such as blood test, physical or and other tests?

Cheers in advance

Sted

World of Tweed
12th Dec 2002, 15:26
Hi Sted,

Congrats on getting through the first couple of stages!

Depending on how you view the subject of 'Fitness to Fly' you may be pleased, or not, to know that under normal circumstances you wont have to go through a medical.

However at some point during the process you'll have to fill out a medical questionaire for two reasons:

1. Its a declaration of your health and is how they (the company) assure the CAA that their new employees are fit for duty and would be capable of performing all duties required of them under normal and emergency circumstances.

2. As an inital crew member, during the summer season you'll be working long(sometimes too long) and unsocialble hours. Most people only think of how this will disrupt their social lives which is a fair point! BUT you ought to consider how this might affect your health. After five weeks of 'red-eye' highly offensive 'Night' tenerifes' will you be be on top form? Your a fairly big investment for BY they obiously want to make sure you'll be fit an healthy for the duration of the summer.

You'll probably get some form of cold/flu once you join because of the exposure to allsorts of germs (known as the public at large). And generally crew are exposed to higer levels of radiation than most because of the altitude we work at, however the risks are very low.

If your successful the recruiters will have been satisfied that your tall enough (even if they don't measure you) and the trainers will certainly get a feel for you general health and fitness on the course by way of your attendance and how you perform on the practical exercises(like opening the doors, climbing into to liferafts, swimming etc) in the first few days.

I hope this has given you some idea of what to expect re: medical requirements. I've just read it back to myself and it sounds a little scary but that wasn't my intention just thought I'd let you know the score.

Any other questions about BY or the pre-course work let me know and I'll try and answer them my year was the first to use the on-line training (very interesting !!)

Good Luck

World of Tweed

P.s If you can't swim or are a weak swimmer I'd suggest you get some lessons. You can pass the pool excersises without knowing how to swim (I know cos I saw someone do it) but I wouldn't recommend it - remember you their to help save lives.

BYlady
13th Dec 2002, 19:54
Hi Sted,

Fingers crossed that you have made it through the recruitment process.

Britannia regulary monitor the amount of sickness each cabin crew member has, if you are sick 3 times in 6 months, then you are asked to have a welfare check - somethings in respect to flying may not agree with you and this will be considered when renewing your contract etc. You must be prepared to accept that your social life may not revolve around weekends but week days (boring !!!!) but the rewards you get for doing the job outweigh any disadvantages.

Our rosters have got a lot better since I started - what with the introduction of recovery days (days protecting your rest around flights and days off) and block standbys - all help you to have a steadier and more organised home life. And did anyone mention that a good bout of longhaul can get rid of any cold !!!!!!!

If you have any other questions, let us know and we'll try to answer them for you. Let's hope the Christmas post brings you good news !

Let us know how you've got on.

Love

BYlady;) :p :)

..........Would you like something from the trolley, Sir?

Also, forgot to mention that you have to sit you Safety Emergency Procedures Exams (SEPs) every year and every 3 years you have to do practical training (smoke filled cabin, fire fighting, restraint etc.) This is to renew you licence to fly and is compulsory.

Like World of Tweed states we're not trying to scare you, just saying how it is (same for every UK airline !!!).

Much Love,

Bylady:) :p ;)

Hi Liquidhockey,

I'm just praying that you'll browse this topic - only got your message today. Sent you an email. Hope you get it.

Love,

BYlady:) :p ;)

bootiecutie
16th Mar 2003, 14:20
hi sted just wondered how you had gone on and what you are upto.
my interview was on a sunday i think the 8 dec.

Ginger Rodger
14th Apr 2003, 01:37
HIya, well done on getting this far on the recruitment process. i have just finished my training on Friday and got my Wings!!!!!!!!!! (very exciting!) I will admit now that the training is hard but at the same time it is so much fun! The SEPs are stressful but if you get your head down at a night time you will breeze through them! I have had the best time on this course and can't wait to go online! If you need any help, let me know while it is all fresh in my head! Good Luck!!!:O

carrioke
14th Apr 2003, 21:26
Wow I can't believe you guys only do practical SEP every 3 years! Please don't take it the wrong way but I find it rather worrying. We do it every year as well as our written exams. We do practicals with smoke filled cabin, putting out real fires in galley, toilet, cabin etc,decompression, aborted take off, land evac, ditching, doors, equipment handling, restaining, first aid de -fib and CPR , the list goes on. I firmly believe that it is a good idea to do this once a year, maybe it should be every 6 months. I mean how can you keep your skills finely tuned once every 3 years? We all know it all different in reality to a written exam , thats why practicals are so important!It is just my opinion but because our airline does such extensive training I feel confident for the job and safe in the job knowledge that we have been trained so well. Hope no one takes offence with this, I just like to put safety first and I would be interested to know how often other airlines do their written and practical exams, because to be honest when it comes down to it, if you were a SLF who would you rather fly with?

:(

TightSlot
14th Apr 2003, 22:23
Britannia annual SEP's include various elements of practical work both on the day and on the line afterwards.

The triennial SEP includes more extensive practical work. All aspects of Britannia safety training are of course fully compliant with legislation and meet and exceed both the letter and spirit of the existing requirements.

:bored:

carrioke
15th Apr 2003, 04:37
Thanks tight slot, sorry didn't mean to offend just read the earlier post and thought it was only every 3 years for practical as mentioned by BY lady. It just had me all puzzled;)

TightSlot
15th Apr 2003, 04:44
no offence taken - just wanted to make sure we were covered on all the bases - it is true that we don't jump the slides every year and probably should/could do more practicals annually - you may well have a point.

World of Tweed
15th Apr 2003, 21:47
Hi guys,

Been reading the comments there by Carrioke (Hope I got that right). I would have to agree with both yourself and my colleague Tight Slot.....

We SHOULD do praticals every year...... to think the company spends so much on the crew conferences at EMA - in the time we have all our coffee breaks in we could have done the Doors and Slides twice over!!

For the record though I must make it CLEAR that Britannia is compliant with all current safety legislation and ALL of our crew are fully competent in SEP.

However without the luxury of a full Cabin evacuation trainer i.e. Emirates /BA/Virgin style we cannot practice the full evacuation procedures safely. I would like this situation to change, when you consider the load factors that BY carry - One might think it was time that our training centre was remodelled to include a raised trainer with integral doors and slides.....

Perhaps I should write to Kevin???

RMC
21st Apr 2003, 15:10
Hope you get what you want - Britannia has got a lot better over the last year (although some of the guys the other side of the door have a completely different view).I enjoy the lifestyle and the girls who are (mostly) up for a laugh.See you around.