View Full Version : Help With BA Final Board-PLEASE!

jimbojumbo
29th Jun 2001, 12:04
Not to annoy any of you that have already made the BA grade, or else just don't give a S***! But I would like some advice regarding the final board, being this is my final attempt (age)!

I have done all the searches on this site and seen www's BA manual, but still want to know the best way to approach the group discussion. Do I plough on and show who's boss or listen and put in my shillings-worth when I see a good opportunity.

In essence, are they looking for listeners or dictators?

The interviews don't pose a problem?!?!
meethinks!

Anyway, I'm sure that there are lots of others in the same boat, so hopefully this thread isn't banished to the cupboard too quickly!

Cheers Everyone.

jj

[This message has been edited by jimbojumbo (edited 29 June 2001).]

Quicksilver
29th Jun 2001, 12:33
JJ,

Less of a team discussion more of a team exercise.

The purpose is communication, coordination and time management.

You'll be with people you don't know, all of whom will have similar personality traits, which without alot of thought can lead to the exercise being a shambles.

If the exercise seems to be loosing track or not following a plan, make suggestions - this is not leading the ex, it's being a good team member. So use the team.

IE. instead of 'I think we should plan the route first'
it is better to say 'do you think it might be a good idea to plan the route first'

therefore, your idea, obviously a good one, offered to the team becomes a team decision.

A good move is to suggest at the start that someone keeps time - offer yourself and make regular time checks.

It is a good idea for the team to make a plan of the order in which it is going to tackle the tasks. It may seem obvious, but if this isn't done, what is the point in keeping time if you don't know what you are supposed to be doing at that moment.

This is useful as it will put you in a position to point out if the team is running behind - ie. 'we need to hurry up on planning as we only have 15mins left'

Do not be afraid to make suggestions, but do not tell the group what to do, it is a team exercise, therefore a team decision.

Use first names and one person should write the plan of action down.

Bear in mind the the surroundings are intimidating, 2 people making notes for every candidate.

But most of all enjoy it, getting nervous and thinking about what you should say to avoid being dominant won't do you any favours and will distract you.

Throughout the whole selection it is the only time you have to work with others, but remember, even if the other team members refuse to work together, the task isn't completed and it all goes terribly wrong -

so long as you are cooperative, communicate well, make suggestions, observations, summaries of where you are and what you have got left to do in the time given, you can pass even if the rest fail.

Prepare yourself for the test, prepare for the essay and most of all prepare for the interview. If you do that none of it is hard, some bits will just be abit more taxing.

Hope this helps,

If you want any other info email me direct with your questions.

Cheers

Quickie

------------------

[This message has been edited by Quicksilver (edited 29 June 2001).]

Groove-ryder
29th Jun 2001, 12:46
Think what they are really looking for is how you interact with the others in the group in a given situation. If everyone else in the group takes the back seat then taking the helm is essential to complete the task. Perhaps ask at the beginning 'Does anyone has any ideas?'. But in order not to seem like a dictator once you've made a suggestion ask the group if they are in agreement, or whether anyone else has a method which they may think is better.

Hope this is right! The general idea being; steer, but don't be overbearing and be receptive to everyone's ideas.

Good luck mate!