PDA

View Full Version : Charter Pilots. Do any of you have two jobs?

BronzeAge
11th Dec 2002, 08:52
Hello all,

Working for a scheduled airline at the moment keeps me quite busy throughout the year. I am however due to join a charter airline in February.

I have been told by some that I will be working like crazy in summer but quite relaxed in winter. With this in mind I have been considering training for another trade (i.e. building industry) to earn some extra cash and to keep me from under my bird's feet!

Are there many charter pilots out there with another career alongside aviation?

If so, could you give examples?

Ps. I would especially like to hear from Britannia drivers.

Cheers

BronzeAge
;)

Ella
11th Dec 2002, 20:24
I admire your energy Bronze age.

If, after six months of getting up at three in the morning on day one of your five day pattern and going to bed at nine in the morning on day five you still have any brain cells, let alone any brawn cells available let me know how you do it!!

Charter flying is the most tiring flying occupation you can get into, and whilst BAL have got a good roster system going you will be mentally fatigued beyond anything you have experienced so far.

I've done European schedule/European Charter/Long Haul and nothing compares to the fatigue level generated by charter. Mind you at least you can console yourself that no other sort of jet flying requires so much airmanship.

A limits approach into Samos with a few CB's and a healthy tail wind sorts the 'SleazyJets' from the real pilots of the industry!

Oh, and to answer your question. I have never known any Charter pilot have the strength or energy to run a second business. A few played with pyramid sales and wine sales, but few had any success.

Enjoy your flying.

qwertyuiop
12th Dec 2002, 00:19
I work for a large charter company and know of quite a few pilots with "other interests". Not sure why you think it cant be done.

Wet Power
12th Dec 2002, 12:21
I work at a large charter company that doen't do a great deal of night flights.

I feel less tired and fatigued (with the odd exception) than I did latterly with my previous (scheduled) employer which consisted of dragging a suitcase around the country and checking in and out of hotels.

Less turnarounds in charter as well which (for me) were inefficient and tiring in my old job.

Quieter winters are nice which means that the busy period of the summer doesn't continue year round as it does with certain scheduled operators.

Downside is career progression which is slow in the charter market at the moment.

willoman
13th Dec 2002, 09:14
I have known many charter pilots with second jobs. I would say that for most of them, the reward does not justify the effort and for a significant few, the secondary job becomes a distraction with flight safety risks.

qwertyuiop
13th Dec 2002, 22:57
Willow man

I cant disagree more strongly. Those that do enjoy other interests appear v content, at ease with life and certainly no risk. Where do your views come from? Is it MYT?

willoman
14th Dec 2002, 13:10
QY - No, not MYT.

An outside interest is entirely different to a secondary job or a further career. Most pilots I know who have gone the route of other jobs ( builders, wine sellers, car importers etc. ) usually give up after a few years. As I stated earlier, the effort is rarely financially rewarding.

Regarding safety - on a few occasions in recent years, I have witnessed fellow pilots pursuing business interests on mobile phones during pre-flight planning and on turnarounds - not conducive to flight safety. On two occasions, I requested that an FO should not use the HF RT for a business telephone connection.

The possible exception is a business with a strong family involvement ( wife, brother. father etc. ) where commercial pressures can be absorbed by others.

Ninjaman
20th Dec 2002, 22:29
Maybe you could become a professional runner!

:D :D :D :D