PDA

View Full Version : volunteer flying

dopeyhead
4th Oct 2001, 19:43
Does anyone have any info on volunteer flying around the world eg aid flying ,flying sick patients etc.and what the general requirements are to do it.
I am willing to go pretty much anywhere . Would appreciate any info at all.

Wee Weasley Welshman
4th Oct 2001, 20:15
In the UK the Air Training Corps have a fleet of over 100 Grob 109b Motor Gliders which they require volunteer weekend pilots to instruct on. Instruction on instruction given free. You get expenses paid in return for one sat or sun a week plus a week summer camp and the odd bank holiday.

Its how I got started.

Good luck,

dopeyhead
4th Oct 2001, 21:36
thank you very much for that info , do you know how to get in contact with them , what the requirements are and how do I contact them .

Sagey
5th Oct 2001, 04:38
There are Missions etc that require pilots to fly air ambulances etc in places like Romania.

Missions probably the wrong word, but Christian charity groups. I have heard of people going to such places to work for next to nothing. Not quite sure how to get into it though, perhaps searching websites for such groups could be a start.

Sagey

lagonda
5th Oct 2001, 13:00
Hi there Dopeyhead!

You can contact any of the ATC VGS's directly and talk to each school individually.

HQ ATC at RAF/CFS Cranwell (I believe - it used to be RAF Newton) will be able to supply you with a list of locations and contact names of the CO in each case.

dopeyhead
6th Oct 2001, 04:00
Thanks for all the help I am looking into it as we speak.I guess its something that I always wanted to do before getting tied down to an airline (wishful thnking) . if I make any progess I will be sure to get back to you all with all the info because I have found it extremely difficult to find any info on it at all

Genghis the Engineer
6th Oct 2001, 12:28
Two organisations spring to mind, the UK based "Mission Aviation Fellowship", and the French based "Aviation Sans Frontiers" - both do charity funded relief work around the world, the former with a degree of missionary work thrown in, so avoid volunteering for Afghanistan !

G