PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about this please?

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
4th Oct 2001, 19:08
What I would like to know is how the impact of the 11th sept will change the price we pay for our flight training. Has anyone had any news of price changes yet? Anyone any thoughts of if and when they might go down? Has anyone tryed to strike a deal with an FTO yet?

:p

Intersection
5th Oct 2001, 18:15
The events that traumatised every peace-loving persons mind on the 11th of September 2001 will always be at the fore-front of the word terrorism but to think there will be an increase in the price of flying training would be foolish.Although this event had a crushing effect on the Airline industry I would see no sane reason why the price of private training will rise simply because there is no real motive for an increase.

If there were an increase it would be in the insurance but seeing as the companies are more busy worrying about the Airlines then I see no reason to panic.

Yours
Int..

[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: Intersection ]

Steve McNair
5th Oct 2001, 19:07
Intersection

I think the post was regarding prices for training falling due to the reduced number of students wishing to do commercial licences in the current climate of recession and the events on the 11th. I'm currently doing the ATPL's so will be interested to see what happens if anything with regard to price.

The one thing I would say is don't under any circumstances pay large amounts of cash to anyone in this climate and who knows who will be left on the other side of this crisis.

foghorn
5th Oct 2001, 22:23
Flying schools have to have war cover terms on their aircraft hull insurance. Insurance companies are hiking this by around 100%. This will be adding of the order of £1-£5 per hour to a school's costs depending on aircraft hull value (ie age and size) and its utilisation (since the insurance premiums are fixed annual payments, not per hour flown). How much of this is passed on to the punters is up to the FTO but most of them exist on pretty thin margins as it is.

If the number of people coming through FTO front doors drops it could lead to lower utilisation, which will increase the proportion of fixed costs that need to be passed on per hour flown.

Not good all round.

foggy.

[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

Megaton
5th Oct 2001, 23:21
Foghorn,

You are, of course, absolutely correct but if the training establishments think they can cover their costs by increasing prices I think they'll be in for a shock. In a skittish market with fairly dismal job prospects, a price hike right now might be the final blow to someone who is about to embark on a course of training and is on the buffet as far as finances are concerned. Perhaps it's time for a government bailout of flying training. I know, how about giving tax relief on flying training and calling, oh I don't know, an NVQ! ;)

200V AC, 3 Phase, 400 Hz
5th Oct 2001, 23:44
Thank you to all those that have added to this post so far, I have found mixed views on this one. I do not want to be insensitive by thinking a financial upper hand might be made from the 11th of Sept, but…. As many of you guys out there as well with a finite bag of dosh in the bank, I just want it to be spent in the best way. With European Flyers going down the pan today as well as ppsc and 4 fcs it begs the question of; how stable it the flight training world at the moment. I have decided to go ahead with my training despite others views on this subject, I have posted before on why but the main reason being I am in to deep already, and well all my eggs are not in the same basket. What might be useful is if someone could put forward some ideas on the optimum time to spend the dosh and how to go about doing it. I will have all the exams under my belt in a month or so (I hope) so it will just be the flying to go in the UK.

:D

fireflybob
5th Oct 2001, 23:59
Why do FTOs have to have war cover on their insurance?

If the price of this insurance is prohibitive then wouldn't it be better to just take the risk?

Jockflyer
6th Oct 2001, 13:53
If I were you, I'd finish my exams, then do my CPL. Forget about your ME/IR just now. Use the money to get a FI ticket. Build hours at someone elses expense. Then when all this **** has blown over, do your IR. You'll be a more experienced confident pilot at the end.

I didn't do it that way. My IR is due for renewal in 2weeks, and I haven't done any IR stuff since my initial!!

Also find out about any parachute clubs near you. I fly a C206 at weekends for my local club. I get 3/4 hours a day. I don't get paid but its bloody good fun. A c206 would cost me £175 p/h so I get about £700 of free flying each weekend. :cool: You only need a PPL and 100hrs PIC to do it.

Don't go spending to much money just now, its a very uncertain future.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

JF

Megaton
6th Oct 2001, 17:49
And the advantage of doing parachute drops is that no-one ever gets to criticize your landings. :)