PDA

View Full Version : Best CD/MP3 'stripper' ?

noblues
9th Dec 2002, 22:26
Can anyone recommend a program to copy my CD's to my hard disk, either as MP3 or WAV's ? (plus to write MP3 as normal audio to CD would be nice as well).

PS : Why does Win XP copy music data as empty files from a CD ?

innuendo
10th Dec 2002, 04:53
I am trying to decide between Roxio platinum and Nero for burning. Any one have an opinion on them? Thanks

ORAC
10th Dec 2002, 05:35
I like MyMP3 which is written as a dedicated mp3 and internet radio tool. It provides tools to convert between formats and to organise into playlists as well as upload to a whole range of portable players or to burn to a CD.

MyMP3 (http://www.steinberg.net/en/ct/products/audio_editing/my_mp3_pc/index.php?sid=0)

BlueRobin
10th Dec 2002, 08:32
AltoMP3 from Yuansoft (http://www.yuansoft.com/)

Most bodacious.

Navy_Adversary
11th Dec 2002, 17:46
I performed a search on the XP forum and Nero came out better than Roxio cd creator , I have an interest as I am looking to buy CD burner software.

I have just bought a new CD/Tuner for my car as it was becoming increasingly more difficult to buy cassettes, so I need to copy a few CDs, although I have bought quite a few.

My Win XP computer has Real 1 and Win Media which means I can already copy CDs, but after a few trial runs these systems do not seem too good, with track selection, missed tracks etc.
I believe this is software related as I have a CD rom and a CD-R and the music quality is not too good on either drive.
My main concern is that if I purchase Nero or Roxio, my computer will not play the correct tracks or miss part of the track out.
Any thoughts guys?

noblues
11th Dec 2002, 20:19
Navy_Adversary - I use Nero Ver5 and it is fine for 'image' copies of CD to CD for audio.

The only problems I have are when I try and copy a CD that has a lot of tracks crammed on it, around >12 ..... then I think the problem lies more in the available space on the CDR disc, the last few tracks come out blank ....

plus with some large audio CD's my household player can have problems finding the tracks, but my car CD player (more modern) plays them fine ....

I only use 'cheap' non branded CDR's, maybe some of the audio quality CDR's available would be better ......

Good luck.

innuendo
11th Dec 2002, 23:11
I have been trying to resolve the Nero vs Roxio question.
A small concensus seems to be that Roxio is easier to use but some comments complained about burns locking up due to "buffer under run" (whatever that is). Nero was said to be more stable (?).
A feature I am looking for is burning digital photos to CD as an album and having a program to run it embedded. Nero does not seem to have this while Roxio Platinum 5 does. (Sort of ties my hands) Like most opinions on programs it seems that people like the one they are most familiar with.
They both seem to have pretty extensive audio editing capability although I am a neophyte here and you can make labels and so on.
You can download 30 day trial versions but Roxio only downloads a basic version not the full Platinum version. and it is about 20+ mb to download.

Binoculars
12th Dec 2002, 09:01
noblues, you need FreeRip (http://www.rocketdownload.com/details/musi/6279.htm) .

No unnecessary bells and whistles, it just does what it says it will do easily and without fuss, and it's free.

And my opinion FWIW on the other choice is Roxio. They both do the job, but I find Roxio MUCH more user-friendly. Usually the software comes bundled with the Burner when you buy it, so it depends which burner you buy. My latest burner came with Nero, and I don't like it at all, but I'm stuck with it because my old Roxio (Adaptec) doesn't work on the newer burner. Newer technology burners also have "burn-proof" technology which supposedly prevents buffer underrun, but I find it's still wise to use a burn speed well below the maximum the machine claims to be capable of.

noblues
12th Dec 2002, 12:33
Binoculars - Thanks, FreeRIP works very well, what I was after - neat small program but does what it says on the packet !

BlueRobin - AltoMP3 - I tried this but had problems with the CD ID function CDDB getting track/CD info, it got confused using two drives. Nice program, but their support never answered my emails.

Anyone know a good MP3 to Audio CD writer ? (I have Nero but this won't convert the formats ...).

feet dry
12th Dec 2002, 14:51
Just follow this link old chap.....

mp3 ripper (http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10125657.html?tag=lst-1-4)

I use this almost exclusively as it is easy to use, does not deposit spyware and is FOC.

Hope this helps.

BlueRobin
12th Dec 2002, 16:09
<t'inks> "Is Innuendo an ex-dolly house man"?

noblues
13th Dec 2002, 01:38
feet dry - Thanks, dBpowerAMP very like FreeRIP, usefull convertion utilities.

I have now settled on using FreeRIP (its so simple and neat) along with Nero V5 for writing compilations to CDR.

(I didn't realise that Nero will automatically write MP3's to CDR and convert them to Audio format on the fly, works great .........plus can import play lists etc ....).

Nero is a must for anyone who wants the most versatile CDR software ?

Navy_Adversary - buy Nero, it will do what you want ....

noblues
13th Dec 2002, 20:59
Having had the above debate, I find myself using Windows XP standard Media Player to write my MP3's to Audio CD ......(it will convert MP3's to audio and write them, plus you can tweak around the playlist whilst in the same package etc ...)

Its funny how often the system supplied software does the job perfectly well ..... or am I missing something ?

BDiONU
14th Dec 2002, 13:27
IMHO there's only one - Audiograbber

http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

gpuk
14th Dec 2002, 18:22
Well said BDiONU! I have been ripping mp3's since 1997 and once ran a mirror site for cdex. Of all the rippers I have used audiograbber is far and away the best. It is an amazing program and coded by a guy who does it for the love. Download it - you wont be sorry.

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
14th Dec 2002, 19:04
I would agree with Audiograbber - on the same lines, does anyone know how to reduce the sample rate of a load of mp3s from say 320kbps to 128 (I've just got a car mp3/CD thingy and am just too lazy to re-rip them all again to fit more on a CD)