PDA

View Full Version : Do people want jobs?

DeeTee
4th Oct 2001, 15:08
Here is an bizarre thing which happened to me the other day. I am happily enjoying my job as an FO flying jets for a scheduled regional carrier. Being a bit bored the other day I headed into work early to sort some paperwork out and have a coffee. Sitting in the middle of the crewroom was the mornings mail, waiting for ops to sort it out. Being nosey I ambled over to see who was writing to us. As was usual there was a pile of cv type envelopes for the lady who deals with that for us. The top one was addressed to her pesonally. It struck me as interesting as it used her first name....Debbie and prefixed it with MR. It then went onto to give the airlines name as it was over 7 years ago. Having gone through a name change it was apparent that any one who sent a cv into us that was addressed to the wrong airline and got the sex wrong of the person who it was addressed to was abviously going to be given short shrift. For those of you who may be surprised at this, our company prizes attention to detail as a pre-requisite to being a jet pilot with them. They are not fussy on hours, I only had 250 when I started in the RHS with them, but they do like you to pay attention to details.

Having spent a year and a half trying to get my first job I was well aware at how important getting your CV to the right person at the right time can be. After that getting them in a receptive mood is the next key and I can assure you that getting their sex wrong and the wrong company name is not the best way to do that. Anyway, the envelope was one of those window types and the senders name and contact number were visible through it. I thought I recognised the name and being in a kind hearted mood I picked up the envelope and gave him a bell on my mobile. Anyway the bloke was not currently employed as a pilot (shame) and was working in an office. I introduced myself and mentioned that I had picked his CV up and did he want me to bin it and he could re-submit with the right details. he said 'not to bother' and 'just pass it on with my apologies'. I told him that I suspected that as he had got her sex wrong and as he had the company name wrong then it would probably get binned. He said 'never mind'.

Now here is the question....we are currently recruiting, our fleet is expanding and we pick up 5 new aircraft in the next 8 months. The nature of our business indicates that we are not too badly affected by the Sep 11 atrocities. Am I right in thinking that this blokes attitude is peculiar?

Over to you.

foghorn
4th Oct 2001, 15:15
YES!!!!

Cheers!
foggy.

[ 04 October 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

N380UA
4th Oct 2001, 16:40
YES!!!YES!!!

Dan Dare
4th Oct 2001, 21:25
A job in EGBB flying jets?

Yes please!!!!

What is MR Debbie's surname? I can carefully write the new company name!

DT, good to see that you are looking out for us and remembering how it was at the bottom. Thanks!

tas
4th Oct 2001, 23:35
Oh yes......me me me I want one!!!!

Approaching_the_minimums
5th Oct 2001, 06:27
How sad it is that guys like that run in to guardian angels like DeeTee. There's hundreds out here who'd just kill for the opportunity he got and missed.

I guess your company ain't looking in the 200 range (hourwise I mean) anymore these days?

gjharris1
6th Oct 2001, 15:47
Id love a job thanks!!!

Be good flying in England, a little different to the Australian Tropics.

How does 3200 hours sound??? get me a RHS?
What type of planes are they? Guess I need a JAA licence though hey?

In this game you cant afford to pass up opportunities like this!!!!

All the best

JetRacer :D

skysoarer
6th Oct 2001, 16:02
I think I'd be inclined to find this bloke and give him a damn good slapping! He should take a change of career options and work in McDonalds; would probably suit him for a life-time.

To be fair on the guy, he was probably a bit p****d about his investment/family trouble and maybe on his way to the dumps. Maybe.

SS

cln 7r
7th Oct 2001, 23:07
:rolleyes:

FMC111

if you have a job why are you in the wannabes forum giving stupid replies like this.

The CV matters and shows the individual applying has taken the time and put some deal of effort into his application. It is widley accepted that presentation of the CV can decide between the yes pile and the BIN.
In the present climate you need every advantage you can get!

I would suggest any wannabes disregard your comments about CV and listen to the sound advice given by the original author of the post.

eagerbeaver
7th Oct 2001, 23:16
fmc111 - you stink like a certain JAA knocking frenchman

say edding
8th Oct 2001, 00:32
Either FMC is a wind up merchant or just a complete to**er. I suspect the latter! Too bad someone had the lack of foresight to employ him when there are far more deserving candidates. Crawl back into your hole, you are a disgrace to the fraternity.