PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Azimuth
9th Dec 2002, 13:37
Hello! I'm wondering if there are any jobs in WA for a someone with 350 hours (me!)

Push it real good
10th Dec 2002, 03:49
Unfortunately Azimuth with only 350 hours you are pretty limited in the jobs available in WA.

What endorsements do you have ? Single engine 206 - 210 try Polar aviation, King Leopold, Sling Air etc although the wet season is generally quiet.

Multi-engine try Golden Eagle, Broome Aviation, Oasis and Polar. When you have around 500 - 750 start applying to Aus West Airlines, Karratha Flying Service, Shine Aviation and Goldfields Air Services.

The only real work in the next few months will come out of the Pilbara mining projects around 3/2/02.

PIRG
:)

Azimuth
11th Dec 2002, 05:44
Cheers for that. I'm debating whether to get a 210 endorsement or a multi engine with my limited funds...

Capt L
11th Dec 2002, 13:47
Do you check your private messages Azimuth?

Azimuth
14th Dec 2002, 09:56
I do now Capt L! Cheers!

Nomads
20th Dec 2002, 04:59
Hi Folks,

Anyone know how things on the helicopter front are in WA at the moment?

Cheers,
Colibri;)

faar_canal
20th Dec 2002, 05:37
Azimuth,

There is no such thing as a C-210 "endorsement".

It is covered under the single engine aeroplanes <5700kg class.

You are already licensed to fly it. Maybe some operators want you to pay some money to familiarise yourself with its operating capabilities and qualities, but there is no endorsement process required. Usually it is just a money making process for some operators and schools.

EPIRB
20th Dec 2002, 08:08
Well why didn't you take your business elsewhere?

I Fly
20th Dec 2002, 21:40
faar_canal, yes there is no such thing as a C 210 "endorsement'. However.
The certificate of registration holder is still required to assure that you know the aircraft thoroughly and can perform all the normal and emergency manoeuvres.
I can have a look at you and say "I like your smile" and let you go. My insurance reads "pilots as approver by ................."(me). If you had an incident / accident it would be very difficult to convince the insurance that I did all I could have done.
If you hire the aircraft from an operator, their operations manual might require you to fill out the CAAP 5.23-1 questionnaire. You might say CAAPs are advisory, but when they are written into the operations manual they become mandatory for that operator. If you don't write into the operations manual what the FOI wants you don't get the operations manual approved = no AOC. Catch 22.
If you think they are being unreasonable - go elsewhere.
By the way what would you require if I wanted to hire your $200 000 Merc to drive to Birdsville? Our past President let anyone fly his $200 000 C 210, but NO ONE was allowed to drive his $80 000 Mercedes.

wot_tha
21st Dec 2002, 07:35
Azimuth, Just saw your profile says your from Perth. Now let me guess what BIG flying school in Perth would say "you will need more navs" Would I be wrong ??? They seems to have "endorsements" for all types of single engine aircraft. More correctly a "check flight/s" would be more appropriate. Once I would have recommended this organisation for flying training but there are other smaller more personalised training institutions with better value for money and more experienced instuctors. Re the C210, I suggest waiting mate, most companies will give you the required C210 "endorsement" if you are employed with them. As for a job try Slingair or Alligator or any other northwest operators in the new year. Not much happening there over the wet but be prepared to go for a drive, you won't get a job with them sitting in Perth. As for your multi endorsement, hang off on that for a bit and go get some hours first. Most operators won't put you in a twin until you have a few hours under your belt. Save up for you Multi IFR and do the twin bit then. Good luck with it all mate, it's not an easy position but persistance will get you there.

AMRAAM
21st Dec 2002, 13:27
All the best AZ, the guys above have given the best advise. Get out there and have a look up north, in the dry (winter down south).

Most of us have been there looking for that first job, sometimes its hard and sometimes it just falls in your lap. But look to the bigger picture, like me I started the same way as you and after what seems 7 very long years I am now flying a DASH around for an airline in the East. Not braging just saying stick with it.

Just one point for the bashers of the BIG flying training organisation in the west, AZ did not at any time name or even refer to that company. SO where do you get your info from Wot_tha or are you just using the opportunity to bag them.

Funny but evertime I see a post bagging places in WA, it always seems to be the same statements and language, makes you wonder if its not the same person and friends.

Capt L
21st Dec 2002, 15:18
Hi Azimuth

My advise to you (and anyone else) would be to just get out there!!!!

You can send a resume to any one from anywhere so what have you got to lose?

Where ever you did your training an employee will want to judge you on the person and pilot you actually are. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking because you did your training at a a certain flying school (no matter how big or small) you are better than the next pilot.

Goodluck, and once again GET OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CL

wot_tha
23rd Dec 2002, 08:36
Your entirely correct AMRAAM, Azimuth didn't mention the company, nor did he have to, it was so glaringly obvious. I have no need, desire or want to bag them, it was merely his comment that sparked the question. Unfortunately it is a comment I have heard all too many times in recent times and his last post sums it all up. Maybe it is why there is numerous posts "bagging"the organisation. Unfortunately for the UNmentioned establishment, outdated thinking and a quantity rather than quality mentality to students (quality does not mean lack of safety or standards) ensures that the smaller more personalised organisations do well out of this establishments lack of individual attention. As for Azimith's last comment, I also understand where he is coming from. Students (especially young students) are very influenced by what their instructors (mentors) say and many, more senior individuals, (not isolated to this establishment by any means) have been very irresponsible in cashing in on their "position of power" over the years. AMRAAM if you have ever flown there even you would know exactly what and who I am refering to. These false promises can and do leave you with a yukky taste in your mouth. Just for the record, I have no reason to be bitter or twisted towards this organisation and really do not wish to discredit them (hence the no name approach). Quite the contrary, I would love to see it return to the fun, personal place it once was. I hold great respect for many of the staff there, unfortunately they rightly or wrongly get tarnished with the overall brush. However lets not turn Azimuth's thread into another bagging session and Azimuth, don't let yourself get caught up in politics, rather focus your energies on your next step forward....ie going up north.

Azimuth, whatever you think of your flying training experience, you obviously met the high standards for a CPL licence and if you passed with who I think you passed with, you earned your wings fair and square so congratulations. Time now to close that chapter of your career and move onwards. It's now time to consolidate and learn, keep your nose clean and Heed Capt L's advice. You are ultimately the one who will make you a good or bad pilot so always focus yourself to be disciplined in everything you do. When you get to the airlines, this is expected. Good luck with stepping over the next hurdle and it's onwards and upward all the way.

the wizard of auz
23rd Dec 2002, 10:54
Bwahahaha, good onya Wot_tha, I agree 100% with every thing you had to say. And what an organization it is.....I can only think of one slightly smaller (the owner is too) organisation to rival them.
Azimuth, heed them wize words son and go north, you wont get any more learning in perth, that a good stint in the north bit of the country will learn ya betterer......and its way more funna up there too. :D :D

Screw Jac
26th Dec 2002, 04:25
Capt L I concur.......

No points for armchair aviators.....

Get around up north....

Think of it this way, in the West and North the aeroplane is the logical mode of transport..........

Why drive when there's an aircraft available.....?
Theres always work up north if you persist!

And i so adivse:D