PDA

View Full Version : BALPA Employment Conference...worth it now?

Jockflyer
3rd Oct 2001, 23:00
The BALPA employment conference in London next week (13/10), is it worth going to now?

The situation for lowtime guys like myself was bad enough before 11/9, but after watching the news over the past couple of weeks.....well, I don't need to say it.

It will cost me a very precious £100 for the trip, not to mention a 7hour drive from Glasgow. I don't know what to expect from the Conference as I've not been to it before, but I can't imagine landing a job from being there.

Tell me different.....please.

Is it worth the trip.

JF

tailscrape
4th Oct 2001, 00:37
Jock Flyer,

I dunno what will be said this time around.

I went for the previous two years as a job hunter. I had 200 hours last year. I realistically feel that the chances of walking away with a job even in the best of times are quite frankly slim. That is not what it is for. The seminar gives you the pilot a heads up as to what each company looks for. It isn't a job auction.

This year will be no different, but you may get to hear some fact instead of speculation.....

I will be there with my company. Once I am briefed as to what is going on, I will tell anyone who asks what the deal is.

I am still a low hours pilot with a large company, so I know where you are coming from. It is a tough call to make, and only you can decide if it is worth it.

If u aint coming though, tell BALPA and let someone else come along.

RVR800
4th Oct 2001, 16:38
I think I will not be going

I will leave it to the 1000? unemployed
type rated pilots who are eligible in Europe to apply for the limited no of positions
now available.

Having been two years ago when there
seemed to be a universal minimum requirement
of 1000TT 100Multi we can expect this minimum will now be raised to the usual
'only type rated pilots need apply' as
cash will be tight and forking out for
type ratings will be the last thing thses folks need.

Oh well it will pick up I suppose..