PDA

View Full Version : 757/767 Jobs Advertised. Honest!!!!

JohnnyPharm
8th Dec 2002, 14:08
If you are type rated 757/767-200 and looking for employment, go to www.air-scotland.com and click on careers.

Mister Geezer
8th Dec 2002, 22:13
Good news but they could at least have a serviceable website that takes bookings before they go to the expense of advertising on Scottish TV!

I would be curious to see how flush the market is with 757/767 rated chaps?

Still a positive sign if it does take off.

Gin Slinger
9th Dec 2002, 01:23
this all has the sniff of a rotting L1011 about it...

mad_jock
9th Dec 2002, 12:01
:D i think you will find one pictured under special offers

So hes back to his old tricks again.

MJ

Sagey
9th Dec 2002, 12:33
That ain't a Tristar but it def not a 757

I think someone in the know should inform the world whether this is a certain infamous ex-ppruner or whether it is a legit organisation.

Sagey

Cambo
9th Dec 2002, 13:05
If this were a real airline, then they'd be shot for their web design! Tartan class and thistle class! Right then, and the in flight meal will consist of haggis, neeps and tatties and the only soft drink on board will be irn-bru.

Upgrades to thistle class for all those who board the plane in a kilt; worn in true commando fashion of course! Discounted flights to those who can remember all the words to that verse of Flower of Scotland that no-one ever sings!

There are a few new carriers starting up out of PIK, www.flyglobespan.com and some German airline who'll be offering flights to Hamburg for a quid or something. But there'd have been some media attention if fly-scotland was real. :rolleyes:

There's a fair bit of effort been put into this, so well done to whoevers done it!

Cambo;)

EGPFlyer
9th Dec 2002, 15:03
The aircraft looks like a Tu-154

Mister Geezer
9th Dec 2002, 17:38
Yes it does look like these people are little kids who are trying to get their hands on a very big train set!

I would be delighted if they would prove me wrong and I wish them all the best. However judging by the mickey mouse start - I have to admit that I don't hold much hope. Glad to see that I am not the only one that thinks their website is a mess.

BTW that pic of a 757 in their site looks as though it has PW 2037 engines.... however they claim that their fleet with have RB-211s. Looks like Photoshop has been put to use!

Oh the paint job looks rather cheap.... I was hoping for a smart paint job... Dark blue would look a heck of a lot nicer!

Wonder what the callsign will be... Tunnocks, Gonnae no or perhaps Irn Bru??

Finally I think the traditional Flight Crew hat should be replaced with the more appropriate 'See you jimmy' hat!;)

JohnnyPharm
9th Dec 2002, 20:18
This is as far as I am aware a genuine bona-fide airline. They have had quite a large TV advertising campaign in the Scottish Television Region. Suppose it is good to get their website at least up and running albeit incomplete rather than no website at all.

Seems like Prestwick is doing pretty well at the moment we got Buzz, my travel, Flyglobespan.com, locoflights.com and Air-Scotland.com all doing budget flights along with Ryanair so I'm not complaining, its the fastes growing airport in the UK so they must be doing something right.

Cheers

Johnny

PS Just got issued with my PPL last week:p

Mister Geezer
9th Dec 2002, 22:38
Suppose it is good to get their website at least up and running albeit incomplete rather than no website at all.

Johnny I understand your point of view but I seem to be looking at things from a different point of view. First impressions do count. Imagine Joe bloggs sitting in his home in Scotland and he has just seen an Air Scotland advert on ITV. Ok so there is no associated phone number on the advert but hey everyone is on the net so he does a quick search and hey presto he is on the site. He is looking forward to seeing what prices are available and maybe save a bit on his usual travel plans. He tries to use the online booking facility but that is frozen... nevermind at least he will be able to check where they will be flying to for future reference. Mmmm no destinations there either. So Mr Bloggs has achieved nothing and learnt nothing from his visit to the Air Scotland site.

His first impressions will not be very good. He finds a page on recruitment and a nice page telling him what the Max TOW of a 757 is but sadly no info on routes, fares and availability - which is what the traveller is really interested in! Not much of a low cost airline site if it can't provide those basic functions! So Joe Bloggs will leave Air-Scotland.com with probably a rather unprofessional view of them and no doubt interest will fade very quickly since he knows nothing about what the new airline can offer him! So why should he go back to Air-Scotland.com after that first attempt?

I may sound very cynical but this is a golden opportunity for Scotland to have its own LCC. It is a chance not to be wasted!

Bucking Bronco
9th Dec 2002, 22:56
Low Cost...Scots should lap it up.

:)

Q:- How was copper wire invented?

A:- 2 Scotsmen fighting over a penny!

Cambo
10th Dec 2002, 07:46
Ahhh, so there has been some media attention. I stand corrected; I obviously don't watch enough STV.....perhaps cos it's mince. Am I the only Scot who thinks 'Scotland Today' is a crime against news broadcasting?

Well, as it seems it might be a bona-fide business, all the best to them. Even though they might have scored an own goal at the start of the game with that web site! It'll be really interesting to hear if they take on any 757 rated pilots.

Catch phrase for their ad campaign:

'Gonnae no fly wae a'body else ya bunch a bawbags!

JohnyPharm:

Good going with the PPL! Congratulations. I agree with you about PIK too, they seem to be on the way up....though they'll have to get a bit more parking sorted out if they're expecting a big increase in pax!

Cambo ;)

mad_jock
10th Dec 2002, 08:07
Cambo you should maybe think of doing advertising full time. :D

Maybe a flyer at Clatty Pats or Sticky Vickys might work well for when the fake tan squad get lose during Glasgow Fair.

MJ

scroggs
10th Dec 2002, 09:15
Whatever the bona-fides of this airline, the jobs advertised are for B757/767 rated and experienced pilots, so this topic does not belong on Wannabes. I shall move it to Aircrew Notices, where you may discuss Scotland, Prestwick, advertising, and jobs for experienced commercial pilots to your hearts' content!:p

JJflyer
10th Dec 2002, 10:34
Mad_Jock

That L1011 under special offers is a B727-200.

Most of the website functions are still under development and tehre seems to be no info as to who is behind this company.

mad_jock
10th Dec 2002, 12:08
Ok i admit it, I have zero interest in spotting.

Unless i have had a go on the stick my knowledge is pretty pants.

On another note about PIK whats this about them banning square sausage and tattie scones in the terminal?

MJ

JohnnyPharm
10th Dec 2002, 13:03
Are you lot going on about? I have never heard of so many people with half empty glasses, mine is half full. Someone said there were no list of destinations, my pc certainly deciphers the information produced on the web page and gives me a list of about 8 or so Spanish destinations.

How many adverts on TV give you a phone number to call? Most just give a web addres. Imagine a TV campaign for Marks & Sparks that finishes up "For further information call ..............."

I don't think so!!!!! But I'm sure a web address will appear on the screen.

Anyway I live in Prestwick so the more airlines that come here the better, sorry for all you sassenachs who think this is some kind of elaborate prank but I can tell you I am delighted with the news.

PS Club de Mar is better than clatty pat's or sticky vicky's

Bucking Bronco

Hey, we are blessed here in Scotland with the most stunning scenery, the purest waters, the most famous whiskeys, the bonniest lassies and the best lobster you can get anywhere.

And you wonder why god bestowed all these virtues on our beautiful country?

Well, did you see the neighbours he gave us?

Cambo
10th Dec 2002, 15:43
Dead right JohnyPharm.....although I think perhaps Sweden, Italy, Australia and Brazil (etc.) might have the upper hand in the bonnie lassies department. But if you were to plonk some of them here, take away a chunk of the Ned population and give us a bit of sun now and again and we'd have the best country in the world!!!

Em....maybe we'd have to swap football teams with Brazil as well mind you!

On a different point, would it not be a good idea for this Air-Scotland to provide some flights over the Atlantic? Even if it was just once a week or something. Seemingly there is a really large number of Scottish folk who are forced to go through Manchester and the London Airports to head to Canada and the US as there isn't enough service direct from Glasgow or Edinburgh. The same goes for them coming over here to find their roots.....

"Am here ta find where ma great grandpappy lived in a little place called Edinburgggggg. Why aint you all walkin round in them skirt thangs?"

Cambo ;)

ps Mad_Jock, isn't there a law against the banning of square sausage and tattie scones? If there isn't then there should be!

BlueEagle
10th Dec 2002, 22:17
Just visited the web-site and I think it is a B757. It is definitely NOT a Tu-154!:)

Air-Scotland.com
12th Dec 2002, 10:23
Thank you all for your interest and we appreciate all your comments, even the nasty ones. Lots of your comments and questions will soon be answered. We appreciate all those constructive and serious comments which have been passed to the right people and we believe some are very helpful and will be taken onboard. In the meantime, here is some info to help those who think we are flying "Kites" and the whole think is a gag:
1- Air-Scotland.com is a new commercial name but is operated by an existing European airline.
2- Initially, we are flying 2 B757-200ER but we are also looking at others like 767, 737, F100, etc. We already have DC10's pax & cargo. We have taken delivery of 1 757 and the 2nd on 21/12.
3- We will operate schedule and charter services.
4- The launch has been delayed due to slot co-ordinations.
5- We will start flying 28/02/03
6- Routes confirmed so far are: BCN, PMI, ALC, AGP, TFS, FUE and more will follow.
7- The website is ready with a live booking system but we do not want to switch it on until all slots fine tuning is complete to avoid lots of changes and administration nightmares.
8- Those who think Scotland is funny and laughing at the idea of a Scottish airline, those who laugh last.................................!!
9- Yes, we will offer Irn-Bru and may be even Tunnock's because we are Scottish and proud of it but No, we wont call it Weegie Airways, we all saw the joke, please do not copy. A Thistle class and Tartan class!!! Air-Scotland!!!! any one can see a connection?
10- The website is not designed by Pilots. Web designers don't know the difference between aircrafts and they are trying to make it colourful. Any one tried the Pre-Bookable syetem to see if any one has any thing like it? In any case, soon when the full system is switched on, it will be different.
11- The jobs we are advertising are for real and good jobs.
This is a serious operation with serious commitments. We aim to make our service different from the rest and make every one talk about it. We are thinking about all fine details and holding group discussions with all segments of passengers so that we can pay attentions to details which others are ignoring.

Please bear with us guys at least until you know all details. Slagging some one you know nothing about is a bit unfair. Humour is nice but slagging just for the comedy side of it, it is not funny. At the end, those who do it may end up with eggs all over their faces!!!

We appreciate and in fact invite any constrctive comment or objective views from all of you professional people. When all is clear, we are sure that you will be impressed and your views may make it even more impressive. Keep it comming guys, we are reading it all and thank you once again.

tailscrape
12th Dec 2002, 10:58
Air Scotland.com

You sound a little too desperate for us to believe you I am afraid.

Just where are you gonna get rated guys from anyway?

Good luck if you are real though........

Sagey
12th Dec 2002, 10:58
Best of luck Air-Scotland, more jobs in the market is never a bad thing.

I don't think people were slagging the Air-Scotland legit organisation, rather a certain ppruner that has been renowned for setting up non bona fida organisations taking peoples money and then running (with Scottish connections).

Sagey

Cambo
12th Dec 2002, 11:04
Well, I can only wish you/your Company all the best. I really hope you do well, It'd certainly be nice to see a Scots airline on the up. I'm sure it'll be good for PIK and Scotland as well.

As for the slagging, I wouldn't take it overly seriously. I don't think any of it was meant to be scathing, merely a bit of fun. I'm sure you could also understand how some people could think of the site as a hoax, although I'm sure they now stand corrected.

Good luck for the future, I'm certain you'll get plenty of CVs in the post for the pilot positions!

Cambo

p.s. I still think discounts for those in kilts would be good!

mad_jock
12th Dec 2002, 22:39
Good on ya Air- Scotland and I applogise for thinking you were another guv enterprise.

Keep an eye on the pprune bash forum.

When dubs throws another PIK bash you can tell us all about it over a beer.

MJ

TheLizard
16th Dec 2002, 17:08
Would the "existing European airline" happen to be Electra, perchance?

brownstar
16th Dec 2002, 23:34
Air-Scotland.com

You have a good idea in trying to jump on the low fares airline, however you are making one serious mistake which i will guarantee that you will fail - you are not taking yourselves seriously. A lot of the posts reflect this. Loose the stereotypical references to ANYTHING scottish. It smacks of the old british midland advert' a wee bit shortie with your tooty of whisky' this is why no-one on the web takes you seriously, who ever came up with these references need sacked, i am not joking ! they might be enthusatic but don't mistake that for achievement...
you can be proud of being scottish , the inventions and inovations and attitude but don't fall for what you think is being scottish pride... the only thing Irish on a Ryanair Plane is the harp on the tail... they don't serve cabbage and 'tatties onboard

i hope you take this as a kick up the backside if you are a serious outfit...if your are not then i've been had

Caledonian
17th Dec 2002, 13:09
Brownstar

Such a negative attitude why not wait and see l and l speak for all scots would love to see this come off as we are still hurt by what happened to Caledonian Airways look at how they started, very very scottish and the punters loved it, the crews loved it and so did everyone else involved until British Airways got there grubby little hands on it and it and had a big part in reducing it to nothing.

Go Air-Scotland, the whole of scotland is very much behind you and we look forward to flying you.

TheLizard
17th Dec 2002, 15:20
What's wrong with pushing the "Scottish-ness" of a Scottish airline? Scotland (plus Wales and Ireland to a slightly lesser extent) have very strong national identities, far stronger than England (do we HAVE a national identity?). People across the world recognise them. If there's a "hook" you can use to sell a product, then I'd say use it. If Air-Scotland don't, then what sets them apart in the minds of those who fly with them? Why even bother naming yourself "Air Scotland"? Just do what everyone else is doing and pick a "something dot somewhere" name. Low-cost "service" is much of a muchness really - I would use every ploy I could think to make my operation different to the next guy's.

If Air Scotland has long-haul ambitions, then surely the same applies, but even more so. As BROWNSTAR said, BCal went a long way on its Scottish roots, people loved it - especially our cousins over the Atlantic, many of whom are proud of whatever Scottish heritage they can lay claim to. Okay, so Air Scotland's operation isn't BCal, but they can still benefit the same way.

Dan-Air did okay by pushing the "Scottish-ness" on its LGW-INV services. The staff at Inverness, and the "local" touches they gave to the flights made a huge difference to the passengers (see the book "The Spirit of Dan-Air"). The folk of Inverness came to regard the route and staff as their own "mini-airline".

I would think Scotland will do its best to support a Scottish airline so long as they buy into it BEING a Scottish airline. You can rebrand all you want, but no-one really sees Scot Airways either a Scottish airline or "the airline for Scotland".

Scotland is desperately short of "national" operators - right now scheduled services are limited to Loganair (a legend in Scottish aviation but once the red and black livery went, it was never the same), Scot Airways (an English airline no matter what badge you put on the aircraft) and Highland Airways (doing well it would seem but not a big power in the scheduled market) and... err, that's about your lot really. And enter stage left FlyGlobespan - who I wish all the luck in the world to, more companies need to "take a chance" in Scotland.

For my money, Air Scotland is a welcome addition to the Scottish market. And if they want to "big-up" their Scottish background by selling me Irn-Bru and Tunnucks biccies onboard, that's fine! The Tunnucks would be more enjoyable than some of the rubbish you get anyway!! :)

Just one thing, Air Scotland - PLEASE don't overlook Aberdeen!:)

(From an Englishman happily exiled in Scotland!)
[Editted for typos!!]

Roper
17th Dec 2002, 16:18
TheLizard, well said, you mention 3 airlines already in Scotland, one of them 'Highland Airways', is no more Scottish than McDonalds... They are part of Air Antique from Coventry, and they employ NO locals... everyone is parachuted in from down south... whole thing stinks... Hopefully Air Scotland will not make the same mistake. The thing the pax do notice on Ryanair is the Irish accent on the tanoy.. Never lose sight of your roots...

Cambo
17th Dec 2002, 17:51
Is this not just a case of differing personal tastes? Some people love the Scotland stereotype to be pushed, others like a more refined look. I'm somewhere in-between myself.

At the end of the day though, whether you serve Irn-bru and Tunnocks in flight or not, if the prices are right, people will fly your airline.

Lets get behind them and give ‘em some support...even if we don't all agree with their marketing dept and graphic designers! I'll be happy to see the St Andrews cross on a few tails anyway! (And I agree that Tunnocks would be better than some of the stodgy rubbish I’ve been served in flight!)

Cam

:D

brownstar
19th Dec 2002, 08:55
Caledonian

I'm sorry if it comes across as a negative attitude - it was realy directed to the person who came up with the web site. If you are going to start a new airline then you need to get the fundamentals right, the website shouldn't be seen untill it is complete, first impressions count - i've asked a few of my none aviation friends to look at it and they thought it was laughable, and embarrasing.... the companies that you refer to B. Cal, Dan Air......where are they now ! I might seem negative but , i think, it is much better to point out the flaws that they might be corrected early and avoid failure. Air Scotland , if you are reading this, give us an airline that we can be proud of, don't just talk about it, show us that it is a quality item by the way you conduct yourselves, it's not about thistles and tartan, it's about demonstrating that you are a viable serious company that has it's finger on the financial pulse, so far this has not been the case

I do want you to succeed but if you can't fix something as simple as a cheap looking website then i do worry... Get some professionals in.

Best of luck and remember......it's ALL about money, NOTHING else !!