PDA

View Full Version : Flying around Western Australia

Pass-A-Frozo
8th Dec 2002, 03:08
G'day all,

I'm planning a trip at the moment up Exmouth way and down the coast in a C210. Would like to hear from anyone who has flown up that way in regards to what to see, any gotcha's etc. Either drop me a line or reply here.

cheers,
PAF

Capt L
8th Dec 2002, 13:33
You have to spend at least a few days in Coral Bay, much better than Exmouth.

The airstrip is easy walking distance to the town and you won't need a car while you are there. Try and do the trip into and out of YCOY coastal, it's absolutely amazing!!! Flying over Yardie Creek is also stunning.

While you are there go snorkelling (much better off a boat and make sure you go to the 'outer reef'), quad biking (awesome fun), and leave plenty of time for just lying on the beach!!!! A tip, happy hour at the pub is 5.30 to 6.30 on Tuesdays and Fridays, so you get a good crowd on those nights.

Most of all have fun, I've only been away for a month and I miss the place already!!!!!!

Islander Jock
9th Dec 2002, 00:21
Are you heading down towards Perth? If so, you might also like to drop into Shark Bay and do the Monkey Mia thing. But if you've seen one dolphin, you've seen em all.

Definately fly the Zuytdorp Cliffs between shark bay and Kalbarri, it's a must and looks really spectacular with the late afternoon sun on the cliff faces.

If going to Geraldton for fuel, try not to go after hours or during the weekend. The Mobil agent there charges like a woulded bull for callouts (regardless of how many planes are waiting). You could also give Shine Aviation a call as they are quite often there on weekends and are usually happy to supply AVGAS (no Carnet though).

Down the coast between Geraldon and Perth the only things to watch for is the Restricted Zones around Lancelin and Pearce. The Pearce zones are easy enough to avoid - just stay coastal not above 2000. Lancelin range can be a bit tricky depending on what type of firing is going on and which part of the Restricted space has been activated. NOTAMs for Lancelin are usually posted well in advance.

Pass-A-Frozo
9th Dec 2002, 01:33
Thanks for the info.
Before this post I was planning
Jandakot -> Meekathara (Fuel and pi$$)
Meekathara -> Mt Augustus (fly around) -> Exmouth
a few days
Exmouth -> Shark Bay
a few days
Shark Bay -> Kalbarri
a few days
Kalbarri -> Jandakot coastal.

Need to do more detailed fuel planning though :)

Anyone recommend accomodation in those places (or better places to visit?)

PAF
:cool:

Snapper_head
9th Dec 2002, 04:30
In Exmouth stay at the local pub. The drive from the strip to town is quite a distance and all the swimming is on the other side of the cape. Its much closer to land at the light aircraft strip than at Leamonth. However in my humble opinion the diving and snorkling around exmouth and off Torquoise Bay is the best in the state well worth a look. If you have a few spare dollars a fishing charter is well worth it or a swim with the Whale Sharks if you go at the right time of year.

Knackers
9th Dec 2002, 23:05
Pass-a-frozo,

If you're concerned about tracking around the Lancelin Restricted Areas, the VFR lanes are on the back of the Perth VTC. Alternatively, give us a call on 122.4 approaching JNB and we can monitor you around LNX or offer you vectors. Radar coverage is pretty good south of JNB for low level aircraft.

Pass-A-Frozo
10th Dec 2002, 06:27
Nothing current on Lancelin Restricted area's at the moment.

Anyone have a better suggestion on a C210 for the trip? (Thinking value for money as well as comfort)

Regards,
PAF
Late note: Pilot + 1 pax and bags for a week.

P.O.M
10th Dec 2002, 10:33
PAF

Depends on hwo many you have going, what you want to carry, and how quickly you want to get around.....

210 wuld serve well, not sure on the costs for one though.

Maybe a 182 for a more sedate trip....

Or if your really not in a hurry I know where you can get hold of a cutlass around the end of Jan......;)

Really though, depends on the load and how quickly you want to get around..

Cheers,
P.O.M:D

Checkerboard
10th Dec 2002, 21:39
Re accom- at Meekathara you have a choice of the royal mail or the Auski. Auski is a little more expensive but nicer rooms than the mail.

Sight seeing- as you take off from Denham (Shark Bay) track along the western side of the Peron peninsula low level to eagle bluff. The bay just north of eagle bluff always puts on a show with a huge school of several hundred sharks in shallow water. From there head to Woomerangee hill, highest point on the west coast and down the Zuytdorp Cliffs to Kalbarri. If you have not already done it ( sounds like you are a RAAF pilot) go for a run along the Murchisson river gorges.

High Altitude
10th Dec 2002, 21:51
PAF

If you wanna hang of till Jan, I'm bringing a 310 PERTH - DARWIN via wherever.....

Pass-A-Frozo
11th Dec 2002, 02:00
Well I'm going on 27Jan back in Perth by 02Feb. I'm quite restricted in my travel times due to my friends time off work. I don't wish to travel alone as that would mean I'm paying for all the aircraft hire :D .

Checkerboard: I never got to do the Murchison while at Pearce :(

Does anyone know if VH-KWW (C210) at Jandakot is for hire? Looks nice on the outside :cool:

I wouldn't mind flying something that will TAS over 200knots but it just ain't affordable :(

Islander Jock
11th Dec 2002, 02:51
PAF,

Give Skyworx Aviation a call about KWW. It is one of their charter fleet but they do hire it out occasionally and yes it does go like the clappers. Alternatively look up .Flentri Aviation (http://www.upnaway.com/~flentri/bookings.htm) they have a website booking system and a stack of 210s. Most of them are scattered all over the north during the dry but there would probably be a few around JT at Christmas

Grumman Tiger
12th Dec 2002, 06:17
If you want a look at some of the airstrips before you go, check out:

http://www.flightclub.com.au/wa-airstrips/

Additional photos welcomed too, for the benefit of all.

Cheers,
Richard.