PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Nationals Flying in US ?

kabz
8th Dec 2002, 00:13
I am a green card holder (but UK Citizen) and holder of FAA ASEL Instrument Airplane, and am looking to go the whole way up to multi/commercial and CFI/II/MEI ... (Licenses I have are from training here in the States)

My question is what is the status on what a non-US citizen can fly in the US ?

Are there restrictions ? And if so, what ?

--
Flatulence - the silent killer !!

Johnny 7
8th Dec 2002, 02:22
Check out the thread on Questions : DOJ 12-5 rule .

There should be no problem with the Commercial , CFI etc . However , unless you hold a type with MTOW>12,500Lbs you may not train for a rating on anything in that category at the moment .

This effectively limits you to anything lighter than a King Air .

I'm in the same boat .

cunningstunt
14th Dec 2002, 18:52
I am a Brit working in the US on a green card for a domestic airline and have been made aware of the problems for new hires who do not already have a type rating. Since Sept 11th any non- US citizen must undergo an international background check prior to receiving any airline training on aircraft above 12500lbs and as such present something of a quandary for the recruiters. Apparantly it can take up to 90 days to assemble the relevant information and basically this is too much hassle for them to deal with. Untill things change it is going to be very difficult for green card holders to get their feet through the door. :(

Fenchy
15th Dec 2002, 14:06
Some of my buddy's are foreign national and even flying for an airline they were furloughed pending the review of their background check .
One applied to a regional , and he was told that there would be indefinite delays before they get to him, the other one just became a US citizen and was given a class date.
Where I work and as well as about every airlines , Citizen will be hired first , there is too many pilots unemployed at this time , the ambiance in the cockpit is not always very friendly if you are seating next to an air force or navy guy, I reccomend to confront him immediately if he start to argue about foreigners at least that"s how I got rid of the problem .

DC10
26th Dec 2002, 15:16
I am a Brit, living and working in the US with a Green Card. I have been flying DC10s for a US cargo airline before, during and after Sept 11th. Even though I was furloughed for 3 months at the beginning of 2002, I did not need to go through the foreigners' background check when I was recalled.

I have since been hired by Air Tran to start training in January. In order to be hired there I had to go through the check. It is very simple. I was mailed an 'authorization to release information' form to sign by Air Tran, who then forwarded it to the US Dept Of Justice. The check can take up to 45 days. Mine took only 10 days and I was cleared to start training.

It is my understanding that if you are not grandfathered in (ie: you were not trained on an aircraft weighing more than 12,500lbs before the regulation came into effect), you cannot commence training at this time.

For the record, in 5 years of airline flying in the United States, I have never experienced any animosity in the cockpit due to the fact that I am a foreigner flying in the US.

mjbow2
4th Jan 2003, 21:44
Ditto with the cockpit probs......never experienced ANY hostilities...

Ditto with the DOJ....mine came back in 48 hours.....

no worries

fesmokie
4th Jan 2003, 23:12
Under section 113 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (ATSA), "Training providers subject to regulation by the FAA are prohibited from training aliens in the operation of aircraft with a max TO weight of 12,500 lbs".This program is called the Flight Training Candidates Checks Program(FTCCP) and is intended to weed out Alien terrorist's pilot types who wish to operate aircraft in the US. Aliens can be processed quickly by the "expedited processing" system through your Training Provider and the local FSDO only if you are current and qualified on aircraft over 12,500 lbs TO wt. If you want more info on this subject go to https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/. :cool: