View Full Version : Flight Catering

BryanC123
7th Dec 2002, 22:07
Well as we know all airlines are cutting as many corners as possible to save every little penny but the latest for BMI is the catering in a box. How does it look when the crew ask the high paying business pax if the would like lunch to follow up by passing them something that looks like a boots meal deal.
You have to ask questions about the way its been done and how long is it before the cut backs become so severe that toilet paper will be replaced for that painfully sore tracing paper stuff that you use to get in school.
Where will it end............:(

Departures Beckham
10th Dec 2002, 02:42
Just wait until the toilet door is replaced with a 50p turnstile. "I'm sorry madam, but we feel it is unfair for others to be forced to pay for your weak bladder!" :D

glynn-kayes
12th Dec 2002, 18:12
i have been fortunate to sample the <catering in a box> from bmi and i think its innovative and and appropriate given the sector times and the service time that cabin crew have. it can still consist of 2 or 3 courses ,hot or cold meals, and can be cleared up in a matter of minutes.and bmi also offer a selection of meals unlike the worlds favourite airline who throw an all day deli bag at you and believe me sometimes the sandwiches taste like they have flown all day

glynn-kayes
12th Dec 2002, 22:52
oh, and not forgetting to mention,after i had been thrown my deli bag i was asked if i would like orange juice or water. on a shuttle from lhr to man i could have downed several vodka and cokes but i wasent given the alcholic option,neither were the full fare paying pax,so take a look at the the worlds favourite airline before slagging of bmi

What_does_this_button_do?
13th Dec 2002, 17:10
Sorry, I didn't see anyone "slagging off" anyone here - simply pointing out that BMi have changed catering. Take note glynn-kayes

As someone who lies this route three times a month I can concur that you no longer rely on the meal on the plane but raid the larder at the lounge.

CHIVILCOY
13th Dec 2002, 21:10
If I remember rightly S.A.S was one of the first airlines to start the meal in a box. I was given one a few years ago on a flight from Arlanda to Copenhagen and as I was not hungry it was easy to slip in my bag to munch on whilst waiting for my onward flight to GLA.
It's a sensible idea as I was getting fed up having indigestion as a result of having to wolf down the meal on a short haul flight before it was snatched away in readiness for landing. :p

Buster the Bear
13th Dec 2002, 21:13
Now a meal in a picnic basket is a munch better idea!

BryanC123
14th Dec 2002, 08:19
I would just like to point out that I wasnt slagging bmi off. I was only saying that (in my opinion) bmi has used the split class service over the years to compete with BA in the domestic market and now that times are hard they are cutting back on the service that they once used to compete. Hence bringing bmi along side BA instead of ahead of them, in flight catering provided in Business class.;)