PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs Pc which is best ?

longarm
7th Dec 2002, 11:28
Without wanting to start an Airbus vs Boeing type argument can anybody with experience of both give me some idea of what the relative pro's and con's of each are. I've currently got a Gateway P3 450mhz and am looking to upgrade to a new PC probably a dell, but I've just seen the new flat screen Imac and it looks fantastic.

Information such as ease of use and relative speeds would be appreciated. Also will any PC software run on a mac (such as games) or will I need all new Mac software.

Jet II
7th Dec 2002, 15:16
For ease of use it has got to be a Mac - generally much more intuitive than a PC. Rumour has it that Macs do not crash as much although that is not my experience - i find them about the same for performance and stability (PC with Win XP).

You can run programmes made for PC's on a Mac using an Emulator programme which cons the software into thinking its on a PC - I've heard good and bad about these.

As far as I'm aware (not being a hard gamer) there are not as many games produced for Macs and it doesn't seem to be the machine of choice for those that are into games.

Generally Macs are just as convenient as PC's and the amount of software available will be sufficient for most users.

For pure design the latest Cube Macs are the business.

ORAC
7th Dec 2002, 16:21
It's like VHS against Betamax.

The Mac is probably the more reliable system. Primarily because Apple keep a ruthless hold on manufacture and software approval. The trouble with that is that the choice is much more limited and the prices are higher. This leads on to the fact that many companies just won't write software for it as the market and the profit margin is to small.

The PC, on the other hand, is manufactured in thousands of configurations by hundreds of manufacturers. You can get a precise configuration to meet your needs. The down side is that there can be compatibility and integration problems. If you buy from a major manufacturer, however, there shouldn't be a problem.

Mirosoft has thrown billions into each new version of Windows. The rsult is that XP is a very good, very stable OS.

The Mac is still ahead in some niche markets, particularily in graphic design. So, if you're interests are heavily inclined towards graphics, video, DVD etc, I'd suggest a Mac. If, however, you're looking at games, office work or wanting to have access to a wider, cheaper, range of software - get a PC.

OllyBeak
8th Dec 2002, 01:29
Macs look more expensive initially.

For what it's worth, I read a short while ago a piece by the head of the computer department at an American college (sorry, can't remember the name).

He'd calculated that the total cost of running a Mac was something like $1,100 a year; t'other system was about $1,400.

As far as I can remember the costs included initial purchase, software, repairs and general maintenance.