PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Fire Bombers

Luca_brasi
7th Dec 2002, 00:54
Just read an article on news.com.au about the fire bombers and they mentioned a "new kid in town" thats upstaging the SkyCranes. Apparantly its called Wild Thing and it looks like a "military Apache huey" with twin main rotors and therefore doesnt need a tail rotor.

Just wondering what sort of helicopter is this one, where did it come from and are there any pictures of it anywhere??

Gibbo
10th Dec 2002, 15:21
Luca,

If it is the Kaman Kmax (sound like it) then details may be found at the company web-site; http://www.kamanaero.com/products/kmax.htm (Kaman Aerospace)

Gibbo

VictorBravo
11th Dec 2002, 10:26
There are also a few nice shots on airliners.net

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=258

If anyone is interested in getting "up close and personal" with Georgia or Hulk, when not fighting fires they are parked at the Australian Aviation Museum (which is good for a look in itself).

gaunty
11th Dec 2002, 15:30
Luca paisan

Same company that is recycling geriatric airframes they couldn't move in a fire sale a cuppla decades ago, that we have bought and paid several billion gazillion dollars for up front.
Then there is the billion gazillion dollar fully equipped and crewed maintenance hangar facility for helos we wont see delivery on for several years, maybe.
The main purchase criterion being that they will fit on the back of a Manly ferry.
Neat huh.

Geez, where were these purchasing guys when I was selling helos, did I have a deal for them.:rolleyes:

Such breathtaking incompetence is rare indeed.

Cyclic Hotline
11th Dec 2002, 16:08
You are indeed correct, it is a K-Max from Superior Helicopters of Roseburg, Oregon. They are considering sending another one down as well.

The current duty pilot is a Kiwi - and a PPRuNer to boot! :)

gaunty
12th Dec 2002, 00:02
Cyclic

No criticsim of Superior nor the K-Max helo intended, I was talking about our Defence Farce purchasing processes. :D

Gibbo
12th Dec 2002, 05:36
Gaunty,

What the.....?????????????????????:confused:

gaunty
12th Dec 2002, 07:17
Gibbo

S'ok I was just off another of my usual rants.:confused: :rolleyes:

I was referring to those Kaman Sea thingys for the Navy that we have paid for but haven't yet got and the hangar that is waiting for them to arrive. Maybe they should some bird seed out for them.:D