PDA

View Full Version : Barbara Cassani

VIKING9
6th Dec 2002, 15:44
I wonder whether Ms Cassini will start another low cost carrier. Anyone have any views or "inside" knowledge ?

Smokie
6th Dec 2002, 15:49
I do wish she would come and sort our lot out.:D

JB007
6th Dec 2002, 16:20
Ms Cassani is apparently enjoying her millions!!! riding horses I last heard..!

Yarpy
8th Dec 2002, 20:22
If you don't need come back into this business why would you? It has to be one of the most cut throat inndustry sectors. Having made £10,000,000 + I think she is entitled to take a back seat.

Sad that Babs has gone though, perhaps one of the best airline bosses this country has had for a very long time.

One could write a book perhaps, 'Great Airline Bosses of the 20th Century'.

It would be short of course, very very short.

JB007
8th Dec 2002, 21:44
And I think the UK has more than enough low-cost airlines right now....

nojacketsrequired
8th Dec 2002, 23:09
Rumour control has it that she may be winging her way to BA in summer to relpace Uncle'SILENT KNIGHT'Rod at the helm.

I think it could be a good move for BA as a company but bad news for my own job!!!.

We need someone to come in and thin down the still VERY top heavy management team and she would'nt be scared to do it.

I love a woman with balls!!!...oh dear too many nights in BKK:D

NJR.Bacardi and coke,loads of ice and lemon and make mine a large one....oh it already is.:D :D :D

VIKING9
11th Dec 2002, 17:28
Maybe she could turn BA back into BOAC & BEA, the latter being short haul only and the former long haul only. Damn shame if she disappeared out of the industry for good though. There isn't enough of her like in aviation.

ADC
11th Dec 2002, 18:24
I understand Babs is writing a book about GO. I gather it will have some interesting things to say about BA. Doubt she is interested, nor might she be welcome in BA following publication.

I gather she is considering returning to the US and is unlikely to be involved in another airline.

FlyboyUK
16th Dec 2002, 08:35
Could do with her in BA CitiExpress to sort out all our problems!

Touch'n'oops
16th Dec 2002, 08:39
She certainly pulls every ounce of her weight about. And it's not much.
I remember working for Groundstar as Pax agent and waited for good old Barbs to stroll off the flight. When she came up and said hello, I was quite a shocked at her size (then again I hit the 6ft 4 mark).

I expect her to be back at it shorty. Considering the fact that she didn't want let Go of...ummm...Go!

Landing_24R
25th Apr 2003, 17:22
I believe Barbara's book (entitled "The Go Story: Creating my Airline Dream") is to be published in early November. It's available for pre-ordering online now.

Onan the Clumsy
26th Apr 2003, 00:28
How about "Carty's Head"?

Dom Joly
26th Apr 2003, 21:35
There was a rumour a few months ago that she visited our MD at Maersk. Everyone jumped to the conclusion that she was interested in joining the MBO but I believe that they are just 'friends' - MBO team unknown to us had already been formed before her alleged visit.

PAXboy
27th Apr 2003, 00:01
Her book is available on pre-order on Amazon. Schedule take off in November.

Departures Beckham
19th Jun 2003, 01:51
For those who haven't heard this yet...

American Barbara Cassani has been named as the head of London's 2012 Olympic bid.
US-born Cassani got the nod ahead of New Zealand advertising executive Kevin Roberts after several leading contenders dropped out, saying they didn't have enough time for the £200,000 a year post.

Former Granada chairman Sir Charles Allen, one of the candidates who pulled out, has been appointed as Cassani's deputy - at her request.

Cassani, who has two children, is confident she can bring the Olympics and Paralympics back to Britain.

"I have taken this job because I know we can win," Cassani said.

"London is a world-class city and we can deliver a world-class Games.

"The children of Britain need to get into the pool and onto the track because in 2012 they'll be competing for gold - in London."

The 42-year-old became one of the most high-profile business figures in the UK after successfully establishing no-frills airline Go.

She left the company last year when it was taken over by its rival Easyjet.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell, whose department was involved in the selection process, believes Cassani's impressive record of delivering success made her the right choice for the job.
"Cassani has the skills, business acumen and drive to give London the best chance to bring the Games to the UK," said Jowell.

"We are confident that she will forge a team capable of beating off the stiff competition from our rivals.

"The prize is worth chasing. Barbara Cassani is the woman to lead the chase."

Cassani will be leading London's bid against several high-profile cities - including New York.

Madrid, Moscow, Istanbul, Leipzig, Paris and Havana are among the other cities in the running.

The International Olympic Committee will reveal its shortlist in May 2004 and will make the final choice on 6 July 2005.

SOURCE: BBC Website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/2998474.stm)

speedbird800
18th Nov 2003, 20:50
If the Olympics does come to Britain just think about the amount of money that the airlines will make. Lets all Back Barbara and her team.

Just read her book from cover to cover. What a cracking read. After reading it. I now know why a company started off with an initial investment of £25 Million was sold 3 years later for £110 Million and then sold again 11 Months later for £374 Million.

It's clear to see that Barbara Cassani has the power to do any thing she whats to.

With at the top and a great team along side her. Even I might be throwing the shotput in 2012.:ok:

touch&go
20th Nov 2003, 16:20
Her book is out, ordered it early this year from Amazon, and it arrived 2 weeks ago, good book but not finished it yet.

Loftie
20th Nov 2003, 17:08
From all accounts a very effective business woman. We need more like her in aviation. Hope she returns to the industry one day.