PDA

View Full Version : Scared the hell out of me today

BlenderPilot
6th Dec 2002, 03:22
So today I arrive at the hangar without anything specific to do, my boss sees me and tells me I am asigned to work with this guy that had just installed a sort of "economy hums/fadec" in a 206L3 (intellistart).

Anyway I started the blender to go do a short flight, get all the parameters in this guys laptop, I pick up into a hover and then all of the sudden the thing just starts making extremely rapid thumping noises then before I know it just sinks to the ground and we hit the ground firmly enough to bounce all over.

After shut down everyone asks what the hell was that, they ask me if I saw any abnormal engine indications?

I say I didn't see anything abnormal as I was trying to make a not so smooth touchdown, so we then download all the HUMS data into the computer to see what happened.

It turns out that in 2.5 seconds the TOT went from 622 to 825 and back to 600 due to the bleed valve not working properly and the resultant compressor stall, and after that it did not fail again.

Without the HUMS data I would have never believed this could happen in such a short amount of time.