PDA

View Full Version : Address Bar Searching in IE6

BALIX
5th Dec 2002, 14:47
Anyone know how to get rid of the following annoyance?

IE6 allows address bar searching. Normally, type in the appropriate word and hitting return will lead to an MSN search result. However, somehow a new programme has installed itself into my browser and it hijacks the search to its own search engine called searchresult.net .

Notwithstanding the fact that this was all unsolicitered, it is also a patheticly bad search engine. I tried the add/remove programmes list but it wasn't there. I've used explorer to find the appropriate programme file but it probably uses a secret name. I've also tried restoring the address bar searching default in the internet options>advanced menu. It doesn't work and always reverts to this searchresult.net page.

If anyone has a clue about removing this programme could they please share it with me.

What_does_this_button_do?
5th Dec 2002, 15:14
Use AdAware from Lavasoftusa.com and I am sure this annoyance will disappear...

B

BALIX
5th Dec 2002, 19:40
Thanks for the advice - the programme was duly downloaded and it has got rid of a number of annoyances. Alas, the address bar thingy was not one of them.

Useful programme though.

If anyone else has an idea about this specific annoyance I would be for ever in their debt...

Eric T Cartman
5th Dec 2002, 21:39
Not sure if this will cure your problem ,but you might like to look at "Start Page Guard" , a freeware prog at http://www.pjwalczak.com/spguard/index.php

PaperTiger
5th Dec 2002, 23:04
It depends whether this rogue engine deleted the MSN registry key. If not, then you should be able to reset it thus:
Open the search window (click search on the toolbar)
Click customize
Click Autosearch settings.
Should see a drop-down of available engines which will be set to the current one in use. MSN should be in the list too, so re-select it. If MSN isn't there, you'll have to reinstall it.

Hew Jampton
5th Dec 2002, 23:19
This might work (from IE6 Help):
To reset Internet Explorer settings

If you installed another Web browser after installing Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, some of your Internet Explorer settings may have changed. You can reset your Internet Explorer settings to their original defaults, including your home page and search pages, and choice of default browser, without changing your other browser's settings.

On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab.
Click the Reset Web Settings button

I see there's also a Reset Web Settings option directly off the Tools tab (IE6)

BALIX
6th Dec 2002, 09:58
Thanks once again for the advice - although I couldn't get Start Page Guard to install, there was a link to a spyware site. That site reccomended Spybot which looks as though it has done the trick. Hooray!!

I was so impressed I made a Pay Pal donation of five dollars to the German bloke who produced the programme (last of the big spenders, me...)

http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download