PDA

View Full Version : Throw me out or keep me in?

Slasher
5th Dec 2002, 04:18
From the number of pvt mssgs and emails Im gettin, seems I should either go from D&G or stay.

Ive allowed a poll timing of 15 days. That should be enough time for a good x-sectional vote.

ANYONE can vote. Anyone.

Ill abide by the popular majoritys opinion.

Thank you.

PS no need to post comments whichever way it goes. Just the vote will do thanks.

sightboard run
5th Dec 2002, 05:20
Maybe there is a need to comment. Possibly a reason behind the volumes of fan mail you receive is that many, if not most, of your posts are:

-Needlessly inflammatroy and abusive.
-Offensive to non-pilots-strike, middle-of-the-road observers.
-Repetitive, in that the same tired, old comments are rehashed again and again (like your opponents also do).
-Childish in the level you often sink to to push your point.
-Arrogant in claiming to represent the moral majority, whatever that is.
-Absolutely incompatible with the notion that there might be any other side to the ('89) story worth listening to.

Occasionally I've seen a post of yours that is outside these descriptions but not often. If you leave will you stay away? Or sneak back with a new name? Did I just blow your game?

Kaptin M
5th Dec 2002, 05:38
Well, looking at the poll (I ticked EVERY box :D ), only a little more than 10% want you to p!ss off - so does this mean we can now expect MORE posts from you, Slasher?

Anyway, if you did leave here, where would you go? I doubt that anyone else would want you. :(

You haven't got another birthday coming up soon, have you? Maybe that's the reason for your morose post! :cool:

Slasher
5th Dec 2002, 05:44
Nope Ill stay away. I NEVER ever return to places where Im not wanted by the majority. Ever.

A new name is both ilogical and pointless. First Im not too good at acting and the 'Slasher' in me would show up eventualy. Second, I couldve done this a long time ago without the request for feedback from a poll.

Thank you for voting whichever way you did Mr Sightboard.

Nah K.M. I enjoy Tech Log, J.b, Aunt Agony, and 1 or 2 others. I dont think Im unwanted in those forums, just here. One particular below-the-belt email straw I read today broke the camels back which prompted me to ask for feedback from the rest of you.

Like any vote its still the early days (hours in fact). Im well aware of the risk of sample errors vs time-lapse which is why Ive calculated 15 days to be enough for a sample-error of less than 10 p.c. (assuming full voter turn-out). At the end of that time Ill abide by the figures. If its a close draw Ill ask the decision of someone whos opinion is universaly respected to caste the decider. Who that will be Im not saying at the moment.

Thanks for voting KM.

Hugh Jarse
5th Dec 2002, 07:43
So far the poll is 50/50 both sides of the spectrum.

No, I don't want you to p!ss off Slash. You're one of the funniest b@stards I've never met. :D

However, I gotta say that all the agro that's going on about 1989 is really wearing thin. I've been visiting this place since 1970 (if you beleive it) and never have I seen such personal attacks happen on any single topic.

I was around back then (and an AFAP member). So before you guys go calling me a scab or otherwise, no I didn't apply to any of the airlines.

The thing that's getting to me is that no matter how you address the subject, IMHO there has been no new or ground breaking information come to light. We just get the same old stuff churned back up over and over again. And that's what I think the majority of people have a problem with.

It's just getting tiring, guys.

Dan Kelly
5th Dec 2002, 08:16
amen ....

AMEN .....

AMEN

OzExpat
5th Dec 2002, 08:40
Nah, stay mate. You got your good points. ! :D In other words, don't let the b@stards get ya down... yer much too good for that! :)

Kaptin M
5th Dec 2002, 08:50
Fer kerissake let's not turn THIS into another '89 thread - BUT, like my mate Slasher, if it arises I'm "happy" to accomodate! :)

jarse why TF even mention it. If you were involved then YOU know (from first hand experience) what the deal was.

Slasher - mate you have been around PPRuNe since Danny was wearing diapers in Fraggle Rock. I've been fortunate enough to have read many of your posts, and especially loved that you wrote one new year's eve a couple of years back!

A lot of the newer readers here are probably unaware of the great intellect behind the Slasher persona - look very closely people, this guy sets deliberate traps that most of us fall for!!

Outspoken about a certain event in a certain year - well it sure as hell changed MANY peoples' lives beyond limits not previously comprehended.

But he coped - and here he is. A man who has experienced aviation in many, many guises, and LIFE as a devoted initially, to a political reject and refugee, and now a successful expatriate.

Kick him out - or vote him to stay in, Slasher calls a spade a shovel......no sugar coating, no UN-Australian fairy talk.

(And I'm not his campaign manager). Sorry if My appearance _ucked things up a bit!

TheNightOwl
5th Dec 2002, 09:07
Slasher: Stay, mate, I voted FOR you. I don't like your attitude or language but, by Christ, you have the same rights to an opinion as the rest of us. If those upset by you can't take it, all they have to do is log off.
I wish I could express the same sentiments about Amos2!!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :)

divingduck
5th Dec 2002, 14:55
Slasher...I voted for you to stay too...

I dont' agree with most of the stuff you post in D&G, i definitely disagree with the style, tone and level also, which is why I voted for the "behave yourself" listing.

Totally agree with Hugh...

Aussiebert
5th Dec 2002, 15:49
I've never had much (or anything really) to say about 89...

Because it was 13 years ago, and i was in grade 2 at the time. My memory of that time consists of sleeping on the floor at melbourne airport...

fact of the matter is no amount of talk from either side will make a lick of difference to the matter, and all thats been acheived is for people to make themselves look foolish.

If someone has '89' issues then really what they have is 'living in the past' issues. Reality is, its a disant or non existant memory to most people and while i respect the right of people to have an opinion, i don't beleive thats the same as having arguments that close threads down here on a regular basis because some people can't control their need to whinge.

89 is no rumour, its something that happened over a decade ago, i don't see how there is anything new to say. Just agree to disagree and get on with life

Hugh Jarse
5th Dec 2002, 19:48
KapM,
the last thing I want to do is start that off again. I was merely expressing one reason (and that of quite a few PPRuNers I know) Slash may be copping flak over. As I wrote previously, I like the guy.

Whether anyone takes any notice is up to them.

No I wasn't involved in the dispute however I think I'm fairly well informed over what happened.

You guys have a lot to offer others around here with your tech knowledge and expertise. I look forward to seeing that someday...:confused:

Chimbu chuckles
5th Dec 2002, 22:55
Nah stay mate...you're just an angry ant:D

I know exactly how you feel about that year...believe me, but I also agree that most people, myself included, don't like seeing the same old stuff argued over and over.

I strongly suspect that you feel VERY strongly about honesty, integrity and mateship...I do too and look forward to getting falling down together one day and solving the problems of the world.

Besides anyone who's as into RPSEs as yourself can't be all bad:D

Chuck.

Bob Hawke
6th Dec 2002, 01:02
Slash,

You miserable barstard, why would let a few wood heads give you heart ache. You got more wit, charm (albeit slightly twisted) and damn honesty than those holier than thou traitorous pieces of slim will ever have (my opinion only!). At least you tell em straight. A straight shooter is what they call you, and some can't handle that.

Don't toss it in and run off to the cloister like a virgin nun, pull up your habit and show then what you got. Expect to see more of your antics on this forum.

ON ON.

nasa
6th Dec 2002, 01:37
I couldn't find a category above to vote in, so I closed my eyes and threw a dart :D :D

Don't agree with a lot of what you say Slasher, or for that matter, the way in which you say it. However, as de man said Whilst I do not agree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it

The thing that I can't come to grips with is, you don't stike me as the type to walk away from anyone putting sh!t on you, and by doing this, that's exactly what you're doing :confused: :confused:

gaunty
6th Dec 2002, 01:39
Nah hang about mate, the world needs a hair shirt right now, more even than it ever did.

And apart from that we need a really good belly laugh too:D

I'm glad you gave the punters an alternative to a straight go or stay, lest those in the middle, like Buridans Ass starve. ;):cool:

BTW when the party preferences are allocated and the back room deals are done you're a shoo in.:rolleyes: :eek: :)

Push it real good
6th Dec 2002, 02:10
Slasher I reckon you should stay, but go easy on the agro.

I think it would help if you could cut things down to the bare elements which hold you in denial and therefore unable to accept and move on.

1. AN was bent over a barrel and held to ransom by the workers.
2. The ambit claim alienated the public giving AN management moral support and the Government GRIEF.
3. AN management had the benefit of a spy in the workers camp.
4. AN & the Government (robetty bob) saw a strategic alliance and pooled resources to prevent AN being screwed. In turn the workers were thoroughly Rogered and those who fought the good fight banished to other countrys.
5. Robetty Bob former head of the ACTU was not about to let the workers screw the public who in turn would screw him.. pure and simple.
6. In the words of Chuck Yaeger, "some pooches can't be screwed".
7. AN workers were fairly paid in the first place and most ended up unemployed, why ???? Greed pure and simple. The national average wage was purported to be $27K.....
8. If the ambit claim had been 9% there would not have been a problem at all. GET OVER IT !!!

9. Find a good company put in 100% effort and take out 75% and be part of something that will live and grow indefinately.

Our fathers & Grand fathers gave everything in numerous wars (some the supreme sacrifice) so that we could speak Australian, live as free men in the Australian tradition. They didn't **** and moan about money, The workers were the archietecs of their own demise, take responsibility for it MOVE ON...

Travelling Toolbox
6th Dec 2002, 04:14
Stay Slasher.

You really should have a calendar like mine.............

1980 - Arrived in the Land of the Unexpected and found myself dragging bulldozers up Mt Fubilan by wokka wokka. Bloody hard work, but good introduction to bushkanaka tru.

1981 - Bought my first Penis Gourd and drank my first bottle of Brut 33. Also my first shakin' not stirred (Malaria)

1982 - Malaria again. House broken into and ransacked by sooty back in Morbid while on tour. Star Mountains are just beautiful in the early morning. Got my Open Water Dive Ticket.

1983 - Now under the hood of stiff wings - different. House broken into again and ransacked by sooty (deja vu) and car stolen. It had my best tennis racket in the back!! :-(

1984 - Malaria again. Had just about enough of sooty! Boss tells me, if they break in again and I catch one, I can load the body on the morning jungle run and no one will mind if I kick it out somewhere up the Goilala.

:eek: :eek:

1985 - My daughter came into the world :-)

1986 - My son came into the world :-)

1987 - Broke the record for the IFR downhill dash on 3 mile hill Port Morbid. (Lights out in my Suzuki Swift on my way home from the Dero and 3 pilots "navigating" from the back seat).

1988 - Got lost down the Gulf in scudding rain/low cloud with the 20 minute fuel warning light on :-(
Finally found KIK and "borrowed" fisheries drum of Jet A1.

1990 - Started chasing sooty onto the footpath with my car and discovered they really can run when they have too :D

1991 - Decided Paradise has lost its appeal and returned to sunny Oz:) :) :) :)

See - I have a nine year decade!! No Problem:p :p

Hugh Jarse
6th Dec 2002, 07:25
Toolbox, I like your style :D

Did you ever get in touch with M*rr*? ;)

OzExpat
6th Dec 2002, 14:30
Yeah, I got a calendar like that TT.

1984 - Arrived in Paralyse in April, working for the (now) late YM as CFI. Became one of a team of unpaid bartenders at SPAC, which had only just reopened after a bankruptcy. Suffered two burglaries in my first 6 months in country.
1985 - Gained T+C approval for a small Port Morbid based charter company that is now long gone. Third burglary - even lost me U/Ds this time. Joined PNG DCA in December.
1986 - First Kingair endorsement. Did a couple flight tests - one pass and one fail. Became DCA's Airways Surveyor. Got diahorrea. First malaria diagnosis. Got diahorrea again. Produced my first instrument approach procedure - Vanimo.
1987 - Tried to teach an aeroplane to swim in the Gulf of Papua, but it drowned. Got diahorrea. Second malaria diagnosis.
1988 - More diahorrea ... still hadn't learned to cook meals for meself.
1989 - Enroute from Rabaul to Kieta on the day the BRA started their war by destroying airport facilities and a Bongo. Got diahorrea again - had started cooking my own meals by then. Another malaria diagnosis.
1990 - Almost had to get married (in Oz), but a blood test got me off the hook. Got diahorrea again. House burgled in my absense; they took me VCR, a three-quarter full bottle of good scotch whiskey and a half-full 2 litre tub of ice cream!
1991 - Got diahorrea again. Yet another malaria diagnosis. Escaped in December.
1996 - Recaptured. Got diahorrea again. Second Kingair endorsement.
1997 - ummm...
1998 - ummm...
1999 - ummm...
2000 - ummm...
2001 - ummm...
2002 - still here...

So ya see Slash... things could be worse! :D

PilotsPal
6th Dec 2002, 16:01
Aren't we forgetting something OzEx? Those little summer sojourns in Newcastle and all the pretty ladies weeping buckets when you leave?

Chimbu chuckles
7th Dec 2002, 06:27
I thought that was vomiting in buckets when he arrived:D

Chuck

john_tullamarine
7th Dec 2002, 11:37
you a Newcastle boy as well, OzEx ? ... certainly explains why we can understand each other so well with respective beers in hand ....

Slasher
7th Dec 2002, 13:13
Thank you all so far for voting wether you are for or against. As you can see I had to carefuly word each voting choice to ilicit a more honest response and a logical aggregate break-down for a final go or stay indication, given only a poll-limit of 5 choices on this bb.

Dec 20 is the closing date and at that time Ill abide by the majoritys decision whichever way it goes.

Again thank you.

OzExpat
7th Dec 2002, 14:38
PP... it's all in the "ummm"'s :D

Chuck... it's all in the "ummm"'s :D

Nah J_T... me a Dubbo boy... allegedly... :D

Slash... don't even THINK about it! :)

redsnail
7th Dec 2002, 16:58
Oz, I think JT meant the "original" Newcastle. The one chockers with geordies. :D

ironbutt57
7th Dec 2002, 19:15
Slasher it's like this, myself(especially me) 411a, gladiator, lots of us Ppruners make postings that irritate/**** off fellow Ppruners from time to time...the fact is, this is a forum for all opinions whether we are agreed with or not, is not the issue...opinions, properly and professionally presented must always be welcome..if somebody who excersises their "right" to differ with your PROPERLY presented opinion takes offense, then it's their problem...I have been called lots of names. scab etc...etc and slagged off by many who disagree with my posts...the trick is to rise above the name callers, and accept criticism when you have it coming, and get on with it...if you really didn't belong here..Capt Pprune would have sorted you out a long time ago...if somebody can't accept you being here...then they lose..it's their problem...not yours

Travelling Toolbox
8th Dec 2002, 00:24
Mr Jarse

G'day mate! Look I must confess that I am a really slack ****** and haven't caught up with our mutual friend.

I shall have to get down on bended knee and beg his forgiveness (not his hand in marriage silly - we're not THAT close!) and shout him at the bar when we catch up.

Cheers and have a great and very safe Christmas HJ. :)

FL450
8th Dec 2002, 08:56
Get yer hand off it Darrell........err Slash:D

Fission
9th Dec 2002, 06:10
Stay!

A good curry contains a variety of ingredients to give it a proper taste.

Reckon you're the Lime Chutney tho - alyays burns twice. You know what it does, but you can't resist a taste .......
:p

cficare
9th Dec 2002, 10:37
Can't vote one way or another for a tosser

Unwell_Raptor
9th Dec 2002, 14:49
Here's a Pom who wants to see you inside the tent pi55ing out....

Celtic Emerald
9th Dec 2002, 16:26
Well now

I never come in here but when someone posts a link in JB the're inviting me in (one of my haunts). Now I don't know what transgressions Slasher is guilty of now but the guy has feelings & I still as always hate any show of 'Schadefreude' meaning people enjoying ganging up on one person (though Slasher your partly responsible for putting yourself in the firing line starting this thread, I just hope you ain't sensitive mate)

Now our Slasher needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I'll admit when I first logged on to PPRuNe I couldn't follow alot of what he was on about with his Aussie eh slang not to mention that I had been educated in the cloistered walls of a girls convent school & we were not exactly exposed to this kind of carry on on eh yearly, weekly let alone a daily basis so it was a massive culture shock for me but to be honest with you most Aussies are a massive culture shock to me anyway. :eek:

Slasher has his place in PPRuNe. He's not a guy you can have mild opinions on, you either are a fan of his are not but he does have a good brain, is what he says he is which is more than you can say for alot here, has great technical knowledge & general knowledge & I sense alot of his blamaus is a cover up for past hurts so give the guy a chance, he is human after all.

Enough said!

Emerald

Davaar
9th Dec 2002, 19:24
Slasher go? Say it ain't so. The convent girls are with him, and the
presbyterian lobby is receiving a belated education.

Capt.KAOS
9th Dec 2002, 20:36
Slasher, does he has to go? What did he do wrong? Did I miss something here?

Cheers

KAOS (proud owner of 14 board points..... :) )

Send Clowns
9th Dec 2002, 21:26
Stay Slasher mate. I don't believe in people telling others what to do and how to talk. Your contributions while sometimes ... robust? rude? unpleasant? ... have always been intelligent and often interesting and ... unique. :D

USE THE RUDDERS
9th Dec 2002, 23:07
STAY

Have only seen your replies and comments lately but they always crease me up.

prune needs characters like yourself

flyboy6876
10th Dec 2002, 02:31
You've gotta stay Slasher. You make D&G a lively place and always make good reading.

Jetlegs
10th Dec 2002, 07:28
KAOS, if you'd bothered to read the thread before jumping in, you'd have know that it is Slasher himself who is wondering if the other participants of D&G want him in or out.
Not the proon brass.

And while we're at it, Slasher has no warning points. Because unlike some, he is obviously inteligent enough to be outrageous, dirty talking and provocative without breaking proon rules.
Can't say the same about you eh KAOS? :D

Perhaps someone even still has that exellent piece of posting advice that Slaher once wrote? If so, please share it with us, it was a rare gem and so to the point!

Slash mate, don't p!ss off.

Wizofoz
10th Dec 2002, 09:59
Yeah good old Slash! Always good for a laugh!!

Got a real chuckle when he gloated over the AN suicides. Sent the link to a good mates Widow. Knew she'd appreciate his larconic humour.

Funny thing was, my late mates' six year old daughter opened the e-mail first!! Talk about laugh!!

Hating people is one thing. Being a hateful person is something else again.

Send Clowns
10th Dec 2002, 10:20
CitizenXX

If you are going to private message people criticising their opinions, could you clear your inbox so they may reply?

maximus
10th Dec 2002, 11:08
I find Slasher a bad mouthed, arrogant, self opinionated bore (and those are his good points). Yet I still want him to stay as his points of view in Jet blast are in the whole amusing and forthright, there fore I voted for him to stay. I just wish some of his views in D&G were not so boring and repetitive (read '89). No, I had the opportunity to answer the newspaper adds at the time and said NO it wasn't right to do so. Had friends on both sides of the fence but am sick of hearing about it.
There are a number of people (POMS) who have come over from JB to have there say on this matter. This is a discussion/vote on whether Slasher should leave D&G, NOT Pprune!(initiated by him).
Even though it is your right to enter into any discussion on Pprune you people have no input into OZ aviation at all (or maybe any aviation) so I say to you leave it to those of us that are the primary frequenters of this particular part of Pprune to discuss/vote, whatever. In other words butt out. :D :D
Well I've had my rant so I'll butt out (good luck Slasher) :p

tony draper
10th Dec 2002, 12:23
Farckin ten pound jet blasters comin here an postin on our forum. ;)

xsbank
10th Dec 2002, 17:52
Slasher,

If you do contemplate buzzing off 'cause the 'fan mail' is getting to you, take some advice from my dearly departed father: "...say Up your pipe, Jack, and walk away smiling sweetly..."

Illegitimae non carborundum:cool:

Zone 5
10th Dec 2002, 20:57
Mmmmm....., lets see......

Suddenly a measured tone, reasonable arguments and concerned about what others think of him?

You Sir, are an IMPOSTER! What have you done with the real Slasher?

;)

I must say that despite feeling most of what Slasher had to say about others was much more applicable to himself and his cohort, having seen a few posts since he got religion (or was got at? I hope not....:( ), I think I liked him better the other way.

Vive le difference!

Stick around mate, just pull back from the stuff mentioned by the Wizard...

Edited for typical pilot spelling......

Slasher
11th Dec 2002, 07:29
Zone 5, if I abuse (or congratulate) anyone in this thread the exercise would be self-defeating.

Wizofoz, your action of sending the link to your mate via e-mail solely in itself propagated the chain of unsavory events you discribed that followed.

Thanks to everyone whos taken the time to vote whichever way.

hurlingham
11th Dec 2002, 07:33
Slasher
No one is forced to read your posts
Regardless of likes or dislikes everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Pls stay with us, I think a lot of people are very thin skinned

Woomera
11th Dec 2002, 08:50
Slasher

Geeez what do you think you're doing, trying to put me out of a job or something. :D

I mean the safest way for me to put this is to steal a quote from Send Clowns:rolleyes:

I don't believe in people telling others what to do and how to talk. Your contributions while sometimes ... robust? rude? unpleasant? ... have always been intelligent and often interesting and ... unique.

and Jetlegs:eek:
And while we're at it, Slasher has no warning points. Because unlike some, he is obviously inteligent enough to be outrageous, dirty talking and provocative without breaking proon rules. my bold not my speling:D.

I gotta say the lacky gets stretched really really thin sometimes, but he rarely if ever takes cheap shots and there is always an underlying, very rational and exquisitely informed basis for his posts notwithstanding his peculiar :rolleyes: turn of phrase.:cool:

I understand those not used to the robust exchanges that can take place when a bunch of Aussies get together, could well feel confronted.
I have seen colleagues from the US and elsewhere "wide eyed" at the friendly Oz banter and coloquialisms at BBQs, that would get you arrested in the US, .
My experience as a moderator over the years has shown clearly that D & G is "different and sometimes confronting" to non Dunundans until they get used to, some don't, the way we communicate with each other.
It also fair to say that we have had a very very turbulent decade or so in aviation matters which has required some very, very, plain and forthright speaking. That is one of the traits for which we have become notorious. PC has a rocky road Dunnunda

One would have had to be around in the earlier days when there were some immensely enjoyable, seriously metaphysical and deeply scientific discussions in quantum mechanics et al, to see some giant intelects at work with Slasher well to the fore. Fools were not suffered gladly, but if they were prepared to participate they would find Slasher a patient, passionate and eloquent teacher.

in re '89, well we all know, unequivocally, where he stands on that and there are some from the other side who have made some equally valid contributions. They may not agree with each other and everything that can be said has been.
They are entitled to agree to disagree on this particular subject and I have had a bit to say about everyones behaviour over the years so there is no need to further belabour the point.

Love him or hate him life is never boring around him and on balance, as one of the last of the hard bitten thrill seeker moderators, I would rather have him and any others like him around than not. If we all agreed with each other .............?

And that applies to every one of us warts, excrescences and all, who post here, intelligently, even passionately, as long as they add rather than subtract to the argument and continue to shine a light where some would it rather not be, you are always welcome, it's your forum after all or your presence would be sorely missed.
It wont be easy but it WILL be fun, it is one of the rules,

Wizofoz
11th Dec 2002, 13:37
Well, if he's going to stay, will SOMEBODY teach him the meaning of sarcasm!!

Slasher, your comments on the AN suicides was WAY out of line, and your subsequent attempt to duck responsibility was ignoble to say the least.

A good freind of mine WAS amongst the victims, and as such I took the tone of your comments very much to heart. Accept that on that occasion you did the wrong thing and lets move on.

Apart from that, I think you are a loud mouthed, one eyed, opinionated jerk. But you seem to be comfortable with that, so go ahead.

Just keep your comments to those in a position to defend themselves.

Capt.KAOS
11th Dec 2002, 15:06
Well excuse me, Jetlegs. Who said Slasher had warning points? And how do you know whether he has or not?

At least I don't post a poll to ask whether people love me or not, probably not intelligent enough for ego tickling.

Have a nice day,

Cheers

KAOS

rainbow
11th Dec 2002, 22:12
Whether or not Slasher leaves should be a decision for him and the Moderators. That is the case for all of us. That he has chosen to abide by a clear majority view on the matter here is a little puzzling and is somewhat dangerous.

Puzzling in that one of us should be of a mind to depart simply because of views, even invited, held by ordinary contributors.

Somewhat dangerous in that the poll may not be a secure and accurate measure of those views. The poll could be open to abuse. What's to stop a single contributor voting often from a number of addresses using a number of user names?

I note that of the five polling options, three invite Slasher to stay while two invite him to go. While the informed and sophisticated voters here (the majority!) I'm sure would not be influenced by these unbalanced options, there is some potential via the uncomplicated among us for a skewed result.

For the record, even given the above, I voted. I chose the only option applicable to Slasher and all of us in this matter that devolves power from the voters back to the Moderators. That is that he should stay while he watches his language. This is not a comment on any alleged previous transgressions. Far from it.

I have other thoughts on the matter but this post is long enough already! Maybe later. Best wishes to all. :)

Slasher
12th Dec 2002, 01:49
To rainbow and others:

'Puzzling in that one of us should be of a mind to depart simply because of views, even invited, held by ordinary contributors.'

- No, its not simply that. Theres much more to it on a personal level. And Im not going to go into it.

"Somewhat dangerous in that the poll may not be a secure and accurate measure of those views. The poll could be open to abuse. What's to stop a single contributor voting often from a number of addresses using a number of user names?"

- I alreadey took this all that into account before I posted this poll, and the mathematical probabilitys in error sample vs time line each day of the 15 days. But yes Im assuming a min-max distortion error in the initial analysis of Dec 20th in the range of 8% to 17% in my favor (yes, IN MY FAVOR!) which has to be considered if the result is to be of any reasonable accuracy in the final analysis. The 1st and 5th choices obviousley will contain the greatest distortion errors. At the end of the poll its not simpley a job of just adding up the poll numbers and bingo theres the result. Theres much more to it than that.
Ill supply the math after its a done deal to anyone asking for it (permutative statistical combination formulae with a few adjustments to "n!" for this environment).

"I note that of the five polling options, three invite Slasher to stay while two invite him to go."

- That is an incorrect interpretation. There are 2 for and 2 against and one that is subtley middle ground. An understanding in the diferences of how people react or respond on relative impulse was takin into the wording of each choice to illicit a more honest answer. And I explained earlyer why I chose a 15 day time-line, not more not less. A full breakdown of the reasoning behind each choices wording, and the go-stay "weighting" of each choice, again will be given after the deals done to anyone wanting to see it.

As Ive said before all that is needed is an honest opinion.

OzExpat
12th Dec 2002, 06:14
Geez Woomera, does that mean there are now "Eleven Thingeys"? :D

But, seriously :eek: I'm pretty sure that many folks will be aware that I've always been opposed to votes by "the rank and file" on whether or not someone should be expelled. I've supported that concept in some pretty extreme cases, such as our old "mate" O_C_B.

I know that this situation is very different from all the others in that Slash has initiated this on himself. However, the basic concept is the same, as far as I'm concerned and, for the benefit of those who may not know it, it's simply this...

Everyone who registers here has a right to be here and to express opinions. The only judge on whether or not a person should be expelled is the PPRuNe management - ie the Admins and Modbods. Nobody else has any entitlement to decide whether or not anyone should stay or leave.

As for Slash's ... errr .... robust ? :D views, unless I've failed to grasp the English language, it would seem that others have seen fit, on this thread, to express their own robust views. If ya dish it out, ya gotta be prepared to cop it back. That's only fair.

So, Slash, I don't really care what result comes rom this poll, don't go!!! Some people will be lost for things to comment on if you leave - and then this place will die! :eek: :D

A Comfy Chair
12th Dec 2002, 09:14
If I vote no, will you PLEASE spend more time with us down in JB land?

Because you are one of the funniest people I have ever "read", and want to see more!! ;-)

Nah, can't vote no, because that would deprive D&G of a legend!

:D

Celtic Emerald
12th Dec 2002, 11:40
Cor bimey

Ya shouldn't have mentioned about that quantum physics Woomera, look what you've started!!! I aven't got the faintest idea what Slash is on about now :eek:

Besides you lot have got me curiosity going so much I'm going to do a search & find out what Slash did say about the Ans crash. Hope it ain't bad Slash or I might have to slap your hand ;)

You mean to say Slasher has 5 less warning points than me. This is BAD, looks like I'll have to clean up my act besides I wear mine as a source of pride cause it hasn't changed my opinions on the subject one iota!!! No regrets as the lyrics go! :p

Emerald

Zone 5
12th Dec 2002, 14:02
- No, its not simply that. Theres much more to it on a personal level. And Im not going to go into it.

Mmmmm..... I hope my hunch about this is incorrect. :(

Tool Time Two
13th Dec 2002, 07:41
Stick with it Slash.:cool:

Slasher
16th Dec 2002, 03:21
Mr one ball, you dont know even half the story for which I dont blame you for, given Ive let on very little about it. An honest vote from you nonetheless would be apreciated. Thank you.

Zone 5 you should have 2 hunches. 1 of them is very correct. The other Ive learnt to live with.

one ball
16th Dec 2002, 06:42
Okay, I’ll accept what you say about there being more to it than that. You obviously have your reasons for the sentiment. It just seems like such a big deal, you know? I dunno, maybe pprune is being taken all too seriously by some people… could it be??? It is just an internet chat site, after all.

Live and let live, I say. I still think you should make up your own mind. Why let anyone else dictate your actions?

Captain Noodle
16th Dec 2002, 20:57
Vote boycotted.

Are you really that insecure?

Noodle

Slasher
20th Dec 2002, 07:10
20/12/02 0500Z:
Stay out you arrogant foul-mouthed bastard! 119

I dont dislike him but yes he should stay away 30

He can stay only if he watches his tongue! 17

He can stay. Hes just an angry ant thats all. 27

Nah, stay mate. You got your good points. 134
Total: 327 votes

5.77% S.Error on 119 = 7. Adj = 112
0.00% S.Error on 30 = 0. Adj = 30
2.23% S.Error on 17 = 1. Adj = 6 (Go case)
----------------------------------------------
Total Go: ** 148

4.50% S.Error on 17 = 1. Adj = 6 (Stay case)
0.00% S.Error on 27 = 0. Adj = 27
16.08%S.Error on 134=22.Adj = 112
----------------------------------------------
Total Stay:** 145

**%SEs derived by permutative combination formulae accounting for t-f-t ratio errors between 00.564 - 2.979 (my own calculated n!-derivative sum range)

Well. Thats it then. 3 votes huh? As I said Ill stand by the majoritys decision even though its slim.

Thanks to those who voted.

Goodbye.

PilotsPal
20th Dec 2002, 09:13
What? I'm totally lost - I see a clear majority in favour of you staying, and you turn it round the other way?

What's wrong with the votes as they stand that you have to fiddle with them?

PPRuNe Radar
20th Dec 2002, 09:55
Lost me too. Wouldn't the percentage errors be equal for all categories ???

Loathe him or love him, Slash does add a little spice to the world.

min
20th Dec 2002, 10:02
I can't see why you wouldn't, at the very least, apply the same percentages to Categories 1 and 5, since these are definitive ones. Therefore, the figures would be a positive for the 'stay' vote. To do otherwise doesn't make any sense, unless Slasher wanted to manipulate the result. Lies, lies, and damn statistics....

M.

Unwell_Raptor
20th Dec 2002, 10:03
There was no option of "Stay; oysters need grit before they can produce pearls"

Stick around, you Antipodean s.o.b. ;)

Celtic Emerald
20th Dec 2002, 12:18
Aha 'D Day' has arrived & Slasher's on a winning streak.

Ya should get yourself a new kitten for Xmas to celebrate. Plenty of puddy cats are in need of a good home but don't expect it to replace Porky cause by ther sound of him he was irreplacable :)

I'll be logging on Monday to see the result!

Emerald

PilotsPal
20th Dec 2002, 14:44
Wake up Emerald.

Slash posted earlier this morning if you care to look back.

Celtic Emerald
20th Dec 2002, 16:02
Ohh Crumbs

Get your point PP. I do lose track when trying to follow Slashers quantum physics but personally I think it's a load of baloney. The 'leaves' were outvoted by the 'stays' IMHO but then again maths was never my strong point. :eek:

Anyway Slasher if that's your decision I respect that & you're always welcome elsewhere on the forum & I still stand by what I said about getting a new puddy cat if you haven't done so already. Animals don't judge people like humans do, give them the basic creature comforts & they'll accept ya as ya are warts & all :)

Emerald

redsnail
20th Dec 2002, 20:36
Strewth Slasher, I know you can make statistics read what you want them to read. However, I think you've read too much here. Bloody stay you miserable so and so. :D
Or at least get your but to the Dentist's ;)

89ersmate
21st Dec 2002, 01:15
Slash mate I know it's late so just one word:

STAY

It would not be the same without you :D

amos2
21st Dec 2002, 06:46
...why don't you just sod off, you arrogant, foul mouthed lovable b.....d!!! ;)

tinpis
2nd Jan 2003, 00:01
10/10 fer the dummy spit cobber !