PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security

hadagutful
5th Dec 2002, 03:46
Just wondering about airport security or lack of at present.
I currently fly from a Qld regional coastal airport with plenty of RPT ops.
Recently our Aero Club building was subjected to a break-in from the tarmac side, i.e. they had jumped the security fence and helped themselves to some equipment. Fortunately more sinister motives were not planned as just next door we have Lear jets x 4 valued at about $100m and a $25m simulator.

That incident was hopefully a one off but for general on-going security, the current paper licence I believe is totally inadequate. If I am challenged on the tarmac and I happen to be carrying this piece of paper which is very inconvenient in size and without an identifying photo, how is the security person to know it is me!
It even still states Nationality: British!!!!

Is the government or CASA for that matter really serious about airport security?
Any Comments?

axiom
5th Dec 2002, 04:54
My licence nationality is "British" also but I thought I was born in Australia.

Then I am told I am now European and do not own my farm.

I am a "landholder" not a "land owner".

Security is a joke even at Alice Springs where the local taxi driver told me the gate PIN to get into my aircraft (I forgot), to retrieve ablutions kit while he waited for my drunken pondereous return.

I've seen a truck loading avgas direct from the bowser at a mid Qld (major), airport into 44's about closing time at the pub, (also whilst collecting my ablutions kit).

BUT,,,, take an orange into the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area and you will be "hung, drawn, quartered, have your knees broken and reported to the Greenpeace funded Bob Brown's Party of political stupidity", for fruit fly infestation.

The whole show is a joke, so pass me another beer, my finger is sore. !!:p :p :p

Hugh Jarse
5th Dec 2002, 05:06
Hadagutful,
the lack of security at regional ports is indeed a joke. But don't think it will change soon. That's because they have been assessed as "low threat" by certain airlines (read $$$).

However, that was before Bali and recent events that have identified Australia as a specific target. Perhaps it will take a significant event such as the hijack or sabotage of a regional airliner before anything will be done about it.......:mad:

puff
5th Dec 2002, 08:37
It was in the paper the other day that all pilots would soon have photo ID, very interesting to see how that will be paid for!

OzExpat
5th Dec 2002, 08:54
Please feel free to correct if I'm wrong (and I might be on this), but I thought that the airport owner/operator is responsible for airport security? CASA's role here, as I understand it, is to audit (inspect) all airport facilities, including security, and notify any shortcomings to the owner/operator, with a timeframe for rectification.

Thus, if the airport in question has been recently inspected, then it either passed all current requirements, or the corrective action should be in progress. The operative words here are, of course "if" and "should".

But, as audits are only required annually, perhaps the airport in question isn't yet due for inspection. None of the posts here, so far, have suggested any indication of knowledge of when the last inspection occurred, so it might be a good idea to bring this situation to CASA's attention.

Icarus2001
5th Dec 2002, 08:54
Pilot's will pay for it silly.

These airports have so little security, all those aircraft flying in without a security check.

Always has struck me as funny that on the ground there are (sometimes) substantial impediments to entry but if you are in an aircraft, any aircraft well come on in.

Hugh Jarse
5th Dec 2002, 19:53
My colleagues and I are fortunate enough to have our ASICs issued by QF at no direct cost (to the individual).

But I think new hires have to contribute towards the Federal Police search paperwork etc.

Looks like the birth of yet another government department.:mad:

CurtissJenny
5th Dec 2002, 20:45
Photo ID already exists in the form of your drivers licence.

Therefore, if in the unlikely situation of a pilot being challenged by a security person on an airport, the pilot produces his pilots licence - already a requirement to be carried in order to fly an aircraft - and his photo ID state drivers licence that should already be in his wallett if he drove to the airport.

I am of the view that CASA lost the plot on this one when they went from a credit card licence to the passport licence. The credit card licence had the ability to carry a photo of the holder. Given some massaging the photo could have been taken at a state drivers licence centre to be included on the CASA licence. Unfortunate to say that CASA opted to go for the passport licence instead of staying with the convenient credit card size licence that was a comfortable size to carry in a pocket and therefore be carried in the aircraft.

There is totally no need to set up yet another user-pays pilots photo ID system when one already exists.

AOPA take note.

megle2
7th Dec 2002, 01:09
You can forget the normal Qld Drivers Licence for id - too many forgeries with the incorrect face on the id!

Police checks have been in for ages with BAC's id's, at least two years as I am due to renew next month and Police check not required this time round.

Re entry onto airports - Coolangatta now has every unmanned gate chained up with controlled entry, names ect though the main vehicle gate.

Rockhampton also excells in keeping GA pilots and pax off the
main tarmac. Try going through Security with the hot water urn!

compressor stall
7th Dec 2002, 01:20
And the regional QLD apt with the gate code scratched into the sign next to it.

Why did we bother anyway when gate codes were freely available in ERSAs?

:eek: :rolleyes: :confused:

Hugh Jarse
12th Dec 2002, 05:09
Latest is that anybody that leaves from airside on the RPT apron must pass through security screening regardless of their status. Tech and cabin crew included.

A sign of the times.........:confused:

goldeneagle
12th Dec 2002, 06:27
Then there was the 414 which had it's instrument panel surgically removed (with bolt cutters) under the security floodlights outside the blue demon hanger at MB. So much for the security patrols.
Axiom - same story from me about the d&d main vein drain, but at the Rock

compressor stall
12th Dec 2002, 10:20
Just flown on a 2 sector flight.

Went thru the detector on sector one, and nothing went off.

Went thru the detector on secotr two with exaclty the same things (did not buy anything, so same coinage) and the beeper went off, and had to remove belt etc....

:confused:

hadagutful
15th Dec 2002, 11:46
CurtissJenny

You are quite correct, CASA lost the plot when they reverted to the 'piece of paper' licence.

The credit card size licence could have simply been retained and a photo ID done as for driver licences through the already existing state transport departments facilities, for minimal cost.
The wallet size card could be produced for instant ID by all GA pilots, particularly PPL holders.

Unfortunately however, like most matters involving governments, a change of policy or the usual "review" will only take place after the incident.

Also I suppose ensuring that correct licence-holders have proper ID won't necessarily stop those wanting to penetrate airport security from doing so.

Feather #3
15th Dec 2002, 20:35
The simple solution is a valid pilot's licence and accompanying photo ID from a list including [and foremost!] a valid Driver's Licence. It works fine in the US [along with a few other things!]

G'day ;)

hadagutful
16th Dec 2002, 05:41
Feather #3

Thanks for viewpoint, certainly OK to produce a driver's licence as well for ID, might be a simple solution (assuming you have one), but a proper professional looking pilot's licence with photo would look better.
Also far more secure than the 'bit of paper' licence!

Dehavillanddriver
16th Dec 2002, 06:07
It has me stuffed why they screen tech crews who are identified with an ASIC.

They can't carry on a pair of nail clippers, but they can do their nails once onboard with the crash axe!

A pilot, who wishes to commit an offence, doesn't need to carry anything through the security check point, he has his/her hands as the only tools required - Silkair comes to mind.

I find it a little insulting that we are required to subject ourselves to the scrutiny of some of these little airport hitlers - when it serves no USEFUL purpose....

My rant for the day!!