PDA

View Full Version : Did you do a full Ab-Initio at Cabair/OATS/Jerez?

Murray_NN
9th Jan 2002, 14:06
Did you train at Cabair/OATS/Jerez and did the straight Ab-Initio course?

If so, did you incure further costs?

How many of you in the group had to pay for extra training?

How much extra did you pay on top of the quoted prices for an Ab-Initio?

I'm trying to calculate the difference between Ab-Initio and the Modular route.

I would appreciate your input.

Murray_NN
10th Jan 2002, 03:51
to the top

Capt Wannabe
10th Jan 2002, 23:07
Yes

Not directly

Don't know. Probably one or two

Less

Each case is different

SPEEDBIRD5FP
11th Jan 2002, 15:39
I ws in your position about 2 years ago, I decided to go to Oxford, would I do it again? Don't know. Ground school is excellent, just look at some of the posts Paul Hickley put on PPrune. Theirs a man thats knows his stuff and can teach it, he got me 98% in gen nav.
The flying was split story, apart from the weather, their was the occasion when the aircraft were taken off self - sponsored for sponsored students. When it came to doing flying exams we had to eats the crumbs off the floor.
Apart from these managerial aspects, the flying instructors are excellent, absolutly fantasic, they REALLY do care about getting the self sponsored students through, they were once like us, paying their own way.

If you have any flying experience already you will get an hours reduction, I think the maximum can be 50% of your experience or 40hrs which ever is the less. with no dispensation for instrument flying.
hope this helps.
If you want any more info, email me [email protected]

SPEEDBIRD5FP
11th Jan 2002, 15:47
sorry, thats: [email protected]

Paul Hickley
11th Jan 2002, 23:45
Dear Speedbird,

Thanks very much for your kind words. Yeah, I think I'm pretty good as well!

But have you ever thought that your 98% in Gen Nav might have had quite a lot to do with you?

Much as I would like to report on this website that all of my students achieve 98%, regrettably, it's just not true.

From your pseudonym, I don't know who you are. But, in thinking about my students, I have formed some conclusions. Talent, of course, helps. Those who are clever find it easier. But the most important single characteristic in achieving success is sheer desire to fly.

I think you must have quite a lot of that to get the results that you did.

a) Well done.

b) Look me up sometime when you're you're relaxed, not too busy, and well established in your career.

All the best,

Paul

ColinF
12th Jan 2002, 00:59
I knew they were out there, watching us!!!

Hi Paul!!