PDA

View Full Version : How old is to old?

Bang Bus
4th Dec 2002, 11:44
I am 29 years old and due to financial constraints , have only recently started full time work as a pilot (grade 3 instructor). My ambition is to try and get a job with one of the regionals. I am interested to hear peoples opinions on any potential age barriers or cut off limits some operators may impose with regard to age. I am married with 2 children and really want long term, stable as possible employment. How do some operators view pilots with family committments? Any points of view are appreciated.

Thanks

puff
4th Dec 2002, 12:14
Unfortunately stable, and aviation are 2 words that don't tend to mix very well! Ask the Ansett/Kendell guys flying jets around 2 years ago if they thought they would be where they are now!

I doubt for regionals age really is too much of a problem, except for the fact the regionals have the pick of thousands of guys at the moment whom are highly experienced, age isn't really the problem with getting in it seems but the 2/3000 odd hours you need is! Guys from the regionals on here will tell you you basically already need turbine time to get into regionals, just to be competitive.

Well done on a fulltime instructing job, thats quite an effort in itself these days!

Sheep Guts
4th Dec 2002, 15:53
Age alone I dont think is a factor, either is age commensurate with experience. The later of which seems to be bantered around alot in recruiting these days.
I am 35 with 4000TT. I am in a Regional , although on a Twin Otter Captain have still aspirations of jets. I think my goal is still achievable. When I was 28 I had 385 hrs and no job. I am hoping that when I get the interview they will overlook my age and experience. See guys my age probabaly would have 6000TT to 11000TT to be seen as comensurate with age.

Regards
Sheep

Towering Q
5th Dec 2002, 07:41
Don't stress....you'll get there.

Just remember those wise words from Rachel Hunter..."it won't happen overnight, but it will happen":D

Hugh Jarse
5th Dec 2002, 07:51
Like Puff wrote. The oldest guy my company hired was in his '50s. Get some turbine time and multi-crew if you possibly can.

As far as regionals are concerned, age is the least thing to worry about. Being able to support a family in Sydney on $42k is. And you'll have to be able to explain how at the interview.......

P.S. you better get off the Bang bus, otherwise you might end up with more kids ;)

stick_&_rudder
5th Dec 2002, 08:00
All the best to you Bang Bus, I am in similar situation to you, would be interested to see how you progress!

What's the instructor scene like where you're based?

Auspilot
6th Dec 2002, 03:03
Bang, I am 31 yrs old and I am just about to get my GFPT! Wife and a kid (another on the way). I am working full time in another industry to help with finances. Hopefully I'll be looking for work as a pilot when I am 33 yrs old, maybe with 200HRS. I have asked the same question of many people in aviation about being too old. They all say experience (hours) are the most important, but I get the impression that as good pilots become less abundant, employers will be looking more at the total package. For instance I could bring a fair bit of business experience to a small regional as well as my flying skills. I guess the old rule to remember is if you want it bad enough you will get it. Be prepared to move around to get it though!

All the best :)