PDA

View Full Version : flying bass strait...

aero979
4th Dec 2002, 02:03
Hi all -

I am hoping to get some tips from people who have had experience flying across bass straight. I am looking at flying from ysbk to saint helens around christmas time.

Can anyone help me out with the best route to take ( i am considering east sale - flinders island or mallacoota to flinders island ). Experience with weather down there would also help. I can check a forecast, but wondering how fast it can ' really ' change etc etc... will be flying IFR in a duchy be76.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Dale Harris
4th Dec 2002, 02:57
I.F.R. in a multi? No problem, both ways are o.k. Just have a current forecast, always keep an alternate in mind, and carry an ELT and lifejackets. Oh, and make sure someone knows when and where and what time you are expected. The legs you have described are pretty short and easy. We go direct usually, it's not that far!!!! After all, if you go IFR, you'll have 2 way VHF all the way at normal cruise altitudes. If you want a real challenge, do it at 500 ft in a 150!!!!! Kidding.........

PLovett
4th Dec 2002, 07:04
aero979

You shouldn't have much trouble but remember, the weather can change awfully quick in that region. After all, Mallacoota to Flinders runs down the edge of the area that caused all the trouble in the 1998 Sydney to Hobart race.

Only real problem you are likely to encounter at Flinders is if there is a warm north-easterly blowing which causes sea-mist (fog) to form over and around the island. A south-easterly will bring drizzle which might require an alternate but shouldn't stop you from getting in legally.

The area can be very windy at times although probably not as bad as King Island. When the wind stops there, the locals fall over. ;)

If you do have to do an approach, there are hills around the airport which require a nippy turn onto the missed approach heading, if that is required.

So saying, you are more likely to have a great trip with no problems. If you haven't been to Flinders before, it is a beautiful spot. Have fun.:)

compressor stall
4th Dec 2002, 21:23
If you are stopping on FLinders Island, think about staying at Killiecrankie. Its on teh northern tip and a beautiful place. There is a grass airstrip there (around 1100m from memory) and some new accommodation being built which looked quite nice.

The bay is beautiful and the clearest water I have seen outside of the tropics. A bit colder though :-)

The bloke to talk to would be Alf Stackhouse on 6359 8556. This was current as of NYE 98/99 so things may have changed since.

We camped on the headland to the north (he dropped us off by boat) and had a fantastic week. When not rockclimbing, we were watching spectacular sunsets, watching little penguins running around on the rocks, stingrays and fish in the water, and all the ab you can find on the rocks too....

Enjoy.:D

aero979
4th Dec 2002, 23:16
thanks for your help so far

the changes in weather is really helpful

can't wait to get airborne....:)

compressor stall
7th Dec 2002, 01:14
Oh yes - remember the FZL drops when you fly south...it caught me out as a green IFR pilot.

First time I flew it was in a PA44 EN - HB. FZL 10k, I chose 9K. Sitting there fat dumb and happy with the heater blowing it was great. Then, halfway across I started to wonder why the airspeed was dropping off. Didn't have to wonder for too long though, but remember clear ice is bloody hard to see on the wings...

Fortunately your LSALTs are low....

Have a great time. :eek:

Wagit
7th Dec 2002, 07:28
If you are travelling for the enjoyment and want to see the sights.
(weather permitting) The fly down the 90 mile beach past East Sale to the Prom then island hope to St Helens via Deal island, Flinders Island, Cape Baron, Clarke Island etc etc.. The sights are worth the trip :) :) :)

B772
10th Dec 2002, 03:22
aero979, no real difference to any other sector in poor weather conditions, probably less difficult than crossing great dividing range anywhere in Vic, NSW or Qld in the same conditions.

Remember a QF B747 Captain or was it ex QF B747 Captain lost his life in a twin close to Flinders Island in poor weather not so long back.

aero979
11th Dec 2002, 23:54
thanks for that last post!!!
make me feel confident why don't ya!!!:eek:

PLovett
12th Dec 2002, 00:10
aero979

The guy was a pax in a Baron piloted by a priest. They were heading for a private strip on the north of Flinders Island at Killiecrankie. Wreckage never found. There was some speculation that the aircraft hit the water whilst trying to get into the place in very sub-VMC.

I realised after my initial post that I had mis-read your destination. However, the comments I made about Flinders also apply to St Helens but less so. St Helens is not affected to the same extent as Flinders.

Something to keep in mind is that the weather often "builds up" over the Bass Strait islands but can be much better in the middle. There appears to be something about either end of Bass Strait that seems to cause the weather to build in certain conditions.

If you still want more information, I suggest that you give the RFDS base at Launceston a call. They operate into Flinders and St Helens regularly.